Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
That's a huge area. If that's the case then Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC will be the largest metro in the world.
It doesnt work that way. Size is irrelevent if the number of workers are there and warrant even looking at combining metro areas. For the Northeast the numbers are just not there, for Northern California, a definite connection has been made and is growing.

Quote:
And the pic of the traffic isn't that bad
1. The Beltway is within DC, this picture is at our border with Stockton.

2. This picture was taken during midday and I can guarantee you that rush hour over the altamont pass is much worse than the DC beltway. Who wants to sit in a 40 mile long traffic jam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It doesnt work that way. Size is irrelevent if the number of workers are there and warrant even looking at combining metro areas. For the Northeast the numbers are just not there, for Northern California, a definite connection has been made and is growing.

The Beltway is within DC? Wow. I wonder what road i've been driving on all this time

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The Beltway is within DC? Wow. I wonder what road i've been driving on all this time
I mean within the DC Metro, whereas Im talking about our borders with a completely different Metro altogether.

Did I really have to explain that?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,503 times
Quote:

2. This picture was taken during midday and I can guarantee you that rush hour over the altamont pass is much worse than the DC beltway. Who wants to sit in a 40 mile long traffic jam?
Those are some crazy projections you're posting. Again, just projections. Look at this link here for example: US Metropolitan Area Population Projections

It estimates that the DC/Baltimore metro by 2010 will be 8.2 million. Well guess what - in 2006 DC metro was 8.2 million. So this projection was way low for DC metro.

So basically projections are just projections. As you see the projection for DC metro was way under. But the projections it lists for SF bay I think are way over. Just as the projections by the state of Ca. I used to live on the East Bay in Freikmont and I'm there often because of work and family so I'm very familiar with the area. And I know just like my family and friends that live there that the SF Bay metro area just isn't growing much. Tracy started booming a few years ago, but the main people that were moving there were people from the bay area and not outside of the area.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Those are some crazy projections you're posting. Again, just projections. Look at this link here for example: US Metropolitan Area Population Projections

It estimates that the DC/Baltimore metro by 2010 will be 8.2 million. Well guess what - in 2006 DC metro was 8.2 million. So this projection was way low for DC metro.
These arent projections that I just made up. No. They are projections from the State of California. And while I take them with a grain of salt, we must plan now in order to avoid huge quality of life issues in the future.

Quote:
But the projections it lists for SF bay I think are way over.
You still dont understand. The Bay Area will grow slower because of land restrictions and cost of living. We can all agree, But the surrounding counties are booming very fast and will continue to boom.

Until one day they run into The Bay Area and we will be forced to combine with them because they work here and that's how metros are combined.

Didnt say I was giddy over it, but it is what it is.

One day SF and its surrounding metros will combine to create the 3rd largest metro in the nation, so who cares? At the end of the day its just numbers on paper. Doesnt really change anything about peoples lives.

Quote:
Just as the projections by the state of Ca. I used to live on the East Bay in Freikmont and I'm there often because of work and family so I'm very familiar with the area. And I know just like my family and friends that live there that the SF Bay metro area just isn't growing much. Tracy started booming a few years ago, but the main people that were moving there were people from the bay area and not outside of the area.
In the meantime, Its one thing to have lived in Fremont but that doesnt mean that you really have an inkling as to whats going on in Northern California as a whole when it comes to population projections.

For instance,
This region has already started working together on such things as transportation and trade and commerce, I wouldnt be surprised to see BART go into San Joaquin County one day.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM

Here's another map of the area in question

The core counties will have 19.1 Million people by 2050.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
I mean within the DC Metro, whereas Im talking about our borders with a completely different Metro altogether.

Did I really have to explain that?
oh woops haha. Maybe I should have read more haha

Old 10-01-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiam View Post
oh woops haha. Maybe i should have read more haha
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.