Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:32 PM

837 posts, read 854,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Italians? no, maybe tourists..

Italian-Americans...sure

Italians, for the most part, have assimilated into the fabric of pax Americana..I know many who don't even speak Italian or practice any Italian customs/traditions/etc.
And I'll admit that's the worst part of Italian-Americans. That they didn't even hold on to their language. Now look at today. A lot of Greeks, Russians, and a multitude of Latinos hold on to their language and culture and still are a part of the American fabric. If this had happened with Italo- Americans, they might have still been the largest European group in the Northeastern U. S., IMHO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 AM

837 posts, read 854,186 times
Hello???!!! Anybody home???!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I guess nobody cares about your opinion.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:56 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I don't think this is the case. Here in Syracuse, which is named after a city in Siciliy by the way, there still is a strong Italian American presence and we even have a fledgling Little Italy on the city's North side. Many are in our Northern suburbs too(Liverpool, Clay, Salina, North Syracuse, etc.) Actually, we have two of the most Italian American communities in the US with Lyncourt(cdp) and Solvay. Both are about 40% Italian each. With that said, our Irish community is very rich too and we have a section on the city's West side called Tipperary Hill. Our mayors tend to be Irish American and our police chiefs as well for the city and county, eventhough our last 3 chiefs have been Black, White and of "Hispanic" heritage, in that order. Nearby Utica is still very Italian American too and has nearby Frankfort, which is even more Italian American than Utica. Rochester and Buffalo have strong Italian American communities too and let's not even get into Downstate NY.

So, I don't think their presence is going to diminish any time soon in NY State. They are the biggest White ethnic group in the state too.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
And I'll admit that's the worst part of Italian-Americans. That they didn't even hold on to their language. Now look at today. A lot of Greeks, Russians, and a multitude of Latinos hold on to their language and culture and still are a part of the American fabric. If this had happened with Italo- Americans, they might have still been the largest European group in the Northeastern U. S., IMHO!!!
I am Italian-American. When my grandparents came to America they learned the English language and their native language was not to be spoken at the dinner table. They were proud to be here in America. They did not have the option of pressing 1 for English or 2 for...........

To the original poster: We are still here but have since moved (25 yrs.) from Philly.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:44 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Italians themselves are more concerned with being identified as "European EU Card Carriers" than historically Italian
I don't know one single Italian who considers themselves "European EU Card Carrier" rather than Italian.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Plenty of Italian-Americans to go around in NY.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:56 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Absolutely not.

Have you been to New Jersey?! South Philadelphia? NYC?

Forgetaboutit

Old 07-29-2012, 10:24 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,559,266 times
Irish intermarry with WASPs and their children report their ancestry as Irish. Italians do that as well but are not quite as assimilated as the Irish.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Irish intermarry with WASPs and their children report their ancestry as Irish. Italians do that as well but are not quite as assimilated as the Irish.
I notice a lot of Italian women like to marry Latinos, specifically Puerto Ricans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.