Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 56,387 times

Advertisements

Hello from Ireland,

I am preparing to retire to the USA and I am currently house-hunting. I have been advised to seek a relatively quiet town with very low average humidity and little or no snowfalls. Definitely no snow-ploughs!

I'm not confined to any state, though East coast would be slightly preferable to West coast. I would welcome your advice.

F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
The humidity is always higher on the East Coast, especially in the summer months. SoCal would be your best bet, but its ridiculously expensive in most areas. If youre looking for true year-round warmth, south Florida is your best bet, but the summers are like a sauna. If I were you Id have a summer home in Maine, a winter home in the Florida Keys. lol

Old 10-07-2008, 02:50 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Yeah, California is the best place to avoid uncomfortable humidity.

I suggest looking at Ventura County, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties. Plus home prices are way down. Dunno how long that's gonna last though.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,533 times
Well, I'm not really sure why you'd like a very low humidity in the winter. Winter-time humidity contributes a lot of latent energy to the air so it feels more comfortable plus it keeps your skin from drying out! Not sure what your age is but the older I get the more susceptible I become to dry winter skin!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,578,375 times
If you do consider the west coast, the pacific northwest (Seattle/Portland) has low humidity summers and very little snowfall and moderate temperatures in the winters. It can be extremely humid in the wintertime, so I don't know if you were talking about year round humidity or winter specifically. I think the PNW climate is very similar to Irelands.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 PM

638 posts, read 2,233,413 times
You might wish to consider Arizona or Nevada. Cheaper than California and very low humidity. Snow in Southern Nevada is very rare. The high deserts of Arizona do get snow... Flagstaff for example. Phoenix, not so much.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 56,387 times
Thanks to all.

I suffer from chronic asthma and humidity at any time of the year aggravates it. Frost and low temperatures are fine - it's mainly humidity I want to avoid - all year round!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
What about heat? Most areas out here with low humidity get hot as heck, sometimes even in the winter.

But yes, it is real expensive out here unless you go ghetto.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,268,563 times
California or Hawaii sounds about right, other than that...as they are very expensive and the inland empire is somewhere that gets small amounts of snow and some pretty ugly heat.
Maybe Albuquerque, New Mexico or Amarillo, TX. They can get sort of hot, but humidity isn't too bad.
If heat isn't an issue, the west US is for you.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:53 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinghudd View Post
Hello from Ireland,

I am preparing to retire to the USA and I am currently house-hunting. I have been advised to seek a relatively quiet town with very low average humidity and little or no snowfalls. Definitely no snow-ploughs!

I'm not confined to any state, though East coast would be slightly preferable to West coast. I would welcome your advice.

F.
I agree with the others, it'll be tough to find somewhere on the East Coast that has low humidity AND mild winters. Western North Carolina might come close since they enjoy pretty low humidity up in the mountains, but it can get pretty cold in the winter with snow and ice.

Since you said you want a relatively quiet town, how about Saint George, Utah? It has VERY low humidity, mild winters, it's only 90 minutes or so from Las Vegas, and it has a relatively low cost of living. It's a fast-growing town that attracts people from Salt Lake City seeking a warmer climate and people from Las Vegas seeking a slower pace of life.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.