Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times

Advertisements

Well, I was born in Houston, when to school and college here and have current engagements that are keeping me here but my main goal is to get out and never come back. I prefer Austin in Tx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Because I'm stuck here. At least until I move to Minneapolis next fall for school!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Well, the Northwest is easily the most beautiful area in the US. Portland is the greenest and most livable US city. Also very clean, safe, liberal, vibrant, and so on. Those would be great reasons for me to move here, but I live here because it's the nearest major city to my hometown, parents, and friends. Finally, it's coincidentally the cheapest major city on the West Coast. So there you have it.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
Because I feel like it!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Because my LIFE is here for now. I have some unfulfilled need to be a travelling worker. I want to stay everywhere for just a little while then pack up and go again. I don't understand it. But truly I am getting too old to live those dreams. Wished I would have thought about that years and years agoLOL. I will be ok here for the remainder

Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 AM

1,123 posts, read 196,806 times
Hubby's co opened new location here, mine moved from Airport area. So we rented in the area for a year and decided to buy a home.
Really nice to be able to go home for lunch.
Tried for another location not too far away for it's low property taxes....but we like to eat so picked a lower morgage.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset I am blessed/cursed with. I have family and friends and have always found work in the area. I moved to Arlington Heights NW burb) from Skokie (Near N. burb) because my family & friends were primarily in N & NW suburbs of Chicago. I also knew that although I liked going out in Chicago, it was too dense, noisy and congested for me to live there. I bought my first property, townhouse, and found a master planned community called Lake Arlington Towne. The neighborhoods were nice, well kept wiht lots of trees. The association fees were very reasonable and the clincher, a 50 acre lake with a 2 mile path to bike/run/ walk on was only a block away. Liked the neighborhood and proximity to the lake so much we stretched a little 11 years ago and bought a house in same neighborhood. I put down roots, it drives my wife nuts because she likes change and has had big-time wanderlust lately. The grayness and 2 months too long nature of winter here and the increasing tax burden by the Taxo-crats who run county and state government have me contemplating a move also. But as long as my parents and bros are here, it will be hard to leave. When the youngest is off to college in 10 years, may be good time to move. Or maybe a move to southern WI to seek more rural and lighter taxed way of life and still be within 45 minutes of family.
Isn't this a wonderful country, to have these choices and mobility!!?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I live where I live to be near the things I like to do. Since I'm retired I'm no longer tied to living somewhere closer to my job.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Job.
Born and raised (with several other states along the way) in a different state that I have no desire to even visit again... but sometimes I have to.
Living smack dab in the middle of the country has it's advantages, but I'd rather be much farther north.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We moved here in 1975 before cell phones. It was necessary that we have a local telephone to Charlotte for my husband's work. This was the most distance we could find from Charlotte that had a local telephone to Charlotte. We moved here and liked it and are still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.