Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is your current location better than your former location?
yes 10 58.82%
no 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times

Advertisements

Has anyone relocated from another location in the past two years? Compare and contrast your initial location to your current location. What do you like, what do you dislike, about each location. Did you make the right move, or wish you stayed behind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 PM

603 posts, read 1,994,941 times
Yes, I'm living in southwestern Michigan, after moving here from southeastern Washington 2 years ago. Eastern WA is a desert climate. Michigan is humid in the summer and we get lake effect snow. This year the snow has been coming down hard. There are TONS of trees here. Back home we have rolling hills and sagebrush, so that is an improvement. There are even lightning bugs here, which is something I had never seen before, so that was kinda cool. The mosquitoes sure suck though! Also, the beaches of lake michigan are absolutely beautiful and it takes me only 40 min to drive there, unlike the 4 hour drive to the cold, damp coast of OR or WA. But, I dislike that there are no mountains at all and it is so flat (luckily the trees mask this for the most part, but the rest of the midwest is flat as a pancake). Another thing I don't like is the fact that I rarely get to see Pac-10 games out here. I'm a WSU alumnus and a huge sports fan, so that part drives me nuts.

Aside from a few small things, I like it here. Michigan is a beautiful state. That said, I do see myself coming back to the Pacific NW eventually, because that's where my heart is. I'm only out here to finish up grad school and then I'm gone.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:54 AM

143 posts, read 174,554 times
I moved a year ago to CT from NH. There isn't a dramatic change, being that I am still in New England, but the economy is better and we have more opportunities here. At first, I wanted to go back, basically just because of family, but now I know we made the right decision...We would probably still be living in NH if we could make it there finacially. If you do not have a degree, the amount of money that can be made is low. My husband works in the same field here in CT and makes almost double the money for the same job in NH. There is state tax here but we don't really see much of a difference. It depends on your state of mind too. I can talk myself into or out of just about anything... We can save for my son's education...

Old 02-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Does Lake Michigan have alot of big fish Kdizzle?! Doesn't it get cold in Southeastern Washington as well. Yeah, the humidity brings the bugs out to play.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 AM

motherof1, he makes double the money in NH than CT. Aren't they almost border states? How can the income differential be so large? That's great you guys have benefited off your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.