Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,107 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking into moving. We've figured out the things that we NEED, if we are to move:

must be on a river/canal leading to river
must be in a place where it snows

Our price range is only $250,000-$325,000. Any tips?

Thanks,
Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
How about Jobs or good schools, on the list? Why river specifically? Would a lake also be in the running?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,107 times
Well, we need good middle and high schools and possibly a good private school. My husband is a fisherman, and he said he would need a river, not a lake.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
There's always the Twin Cities. Has good suburban and private schools - but not too many good schools in the cities. However, the burbs are 5 minutes away from cities - so not a problem.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:50 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
There's always the Twin Cities. Has good suburban and private schools - but not too many good schools in the cities. However, the burbs are 5 minutes away from cities - so not a problem.
I wouldn't want to fish on the Mississippi in Minneapolis. The entire stretch of the upper Mississippi is lovely and inexpensive. Places like Winona, LaCrosse, Dubuque, et cetera are safe, clean towns with good schools and stunning scenery. The area was likened to the Hudson as people settled here. The river is wide and clean. Heavy forests are punctuated by tall bluffs.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There are very few cities where you cannot find at leas an adequate house for 300K. There are very few places nowadays where you can catch any fish within 50 miles of a biggish city, If your husband is a fisherman, he would love Missouri, and that is probably also the state where you can get the most house for your 300K.

Contact Missouri Tourism or State Conservation Department and ask for their Outdoor Missouri edition of the state road map. It will identify the locations of over 800 public wildliife areas, and you can look for cities near a concentratikon of good public fishing access sites. Missouri has great fishiing in backwaters along the Mississippi, some huge artificial lakes, and lots of mountain strams in the Ozarks. You can't miss.
Missouri doesn't get enough show for snowmobiling or skiing, but there is a pretty general ground cover of snow thorugh two or three winter months.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:25 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I was thinking Missouri myself. There are big cities (STL, KC, a few other cities around 100k), but Missouri has a lot of wildlife areas. There are lots of fishing areas. Hunting is pretty popular as well. You won't get snow like you would up north, but we usually get a few inches a year here, but St. Louis area can get 20 in a winter, though not all at once.

It's funny this topic came up. My Dad and Brother-in-law are fishing right now.

Here's some cute Missouri wildlife pictures.
http://www.mo.gov/mo/mowildlife.htm (broken link)
Missouri Conservation Department webpage:
http://mdc.mo.gov/
http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/
Fishing:
http://mdc.mo.gov/fish/
http://www.takemefishing.org/state/p.../home/state/mo

Good luck, wherever you choose!

And for most areas, except maybe some St. Louis/Kansas City suburbs, you won't need to spend $250k.

Here's a Magazine called Rural Missouri.
http://www.ruralmissouri.org/

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 10-12-2008 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 05:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Try cities along the Missouri or Mississippi. If you want a smaller city, try towns in North Dakota and South Dakota. Yankton, Chamberlain, Pierre, and Mobridge are all nice towns along the Missouri River in South Dakota.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortitude View Post
Well, we need good middle and high schools and possibly a good private school. My husband is a fisherman, and he said he would need a river, not a lake.
Have Hubby (or yourself) Google "Pere Marquette River. Michigan" It runs right through my town and I have grown up fishing its waters. Fall King salmon run, Fall and Spring Steelhead run, Big Brown Trout (1st waters in the US stocked with German Brown Trout), Northern Pike, Rainbow trout, brook trout, and even a walleye can be found in the river system. If the desire for a boat ever rears it's head, there is Hamlin Lake close as well as being right on Lake Michigan with Ludington being the #1 fishing port in Michigan on the big Lake. Here is a link to get you started: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...reatrivers/pm/

Schools in Ludington and Scottville, MI are GREAT! The schools look beyond the test scores at the kids themselves. They do their best to help each individual kid reach and exceed their own goals, and be the best student AND person they can be. The communities are small, but it is a short drive to a larger city. Grand Rapids with 800,000+ in it's metro area is 1 1/2 hours away, and Muskegon with 150,000+ is an hour away. Tiny Scottville has West Shore Community College, and they offer college classes for advanced high school students in the area school systems. Close by is Grand Vally State University, Ferris State University, and many small colleges and universities as well. Education is held high here. Cost of living is low compared to other areas as well. Compared to the Northeast it is very low. Here is a listing for the MOST expensive listing in my town right now. http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=49454&mxp=25&typ=1&sid=3a61d 46b874141bd8b95b897df8d5ef6&pg=7&lid=1101614493&ls n=66&srcnt=66 (broken link) 16 acres right on the river 5 bed 2 1/2 bath built in 2003 (It is a nice place I know the house this is.)

The area is open to "strangers" and not insular like small communities can tend to be. I believe that stems from being a tourist destination during the summer months, we are used to seeing new people all the time. I moved away years ago and am SOOO glad to be back. Check us out.

Last edited by Bydand; 10-12-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: wrong # of bedrooms.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 AM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
warren, pa is a medium sized town (about 10,000 people) that is very nice in northern pa. it is rurual though, so if you need a city, that would not work for you. It is along the Allegheny River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.