Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I love you people
Ditto Kentucky Belle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I dunno, in my mind I see W PA more aligned culturally with OH and E MI, E PA with the other mid-Atlantic states. But you know better than me.
This issue was thoroughly discussed a while back. Pittsburgh is part of the NE. For one thing, the midwesterners don't want it.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This issue was thoroughly discussed a while back. Pittsburgh is part of the NE. For one thing, the midwesterners don't want it.

Yes, Pittsburgh is over the Ohio-Pennsylvania border, which is indisputable for historical and cultural reasons. When you consider the South comes within 100 miles of Canada at the northern tip of West Virginia, the "North" comes to a bottleneck at this point so as far east as it is, Ohio and Pennsylvania's border defines the east/central US boundary.

Ohio is in the Midwest, but of course Cleveland is still more like Pittsburgh than it is like Bismarck. It's also in the Great Lakes region that would include western New York, western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and a bit of Minnesota.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
I read an article about Missouri recently written. Most people I think would agree that Missouri is a state with a Southern tinge that is outweighed by its Midwestern heritage. I think grouping the Southern half of Missouri in with the South is quite unreasonable, especially when not even Joplin and Springfield can easily fit in with the South and people there don't identify as Southerners. I think the more reasonable line to draw for the south would be roughly the 36 or 37 degree latitude line across Missouri.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:35 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I read an article about Missouri recently written. Most people I think would agree that Missouri is a state with a Southern tinge that is outweighed by its Midwestern heritage. I think grouping the Southern half of Missouri in with the South is quite unreasonable, especially when not even Joplin and Springfield can easily fit in with the South and people there don't identify as Southerners. I think the more reasonable line to draw for the south would be roughly the 36 or 37 degree latitude line across Missouri.
Weren't the Beverly Hillbillies from southern MO? They used to mention Joplin and Branson from time to time.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Weren't the Beverly Hillbillies from southern MO? They used to mention Joplin and Branson from time to time.
Branson, I believe, but that is right on the Arkansas border and below the line I proposed. In addition, my father grew up in Joplin and says the Beverly Hillbillies were not even close to being representative of the people he grew up around. And I have visited Joplin and Springfield myself several times...the Beverly Hillbillies are not very representative of the people that live there. Most people in this region are not laid back and are honest and hard-working people. Not to mention, they don't really speak with any kind of a Southern accent. Branson is much more Southern than either Springfield or Joplin...it has more in common with Arkansas than with Missouri.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:01 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
I never went to school here in the US but I have to ask. Don't the school teach you which states are southern, mid western, northern etc? OR ..is this just a matter of your own opinion? Because if that's the case it is no point debating about it. It would be like debating what taste better, Coca Cola or Pepsi?
I live in Memphis, TN. As far as I know Memphis is in the South. But according to a friend of mine it is not the south. So who knows whats right anyways?

Old 10-19-2008, 11:06 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
^ There is certainly some level of objectivity in these debates and there is also a degree of subjectivity. If the question was purely objective, then there wouldn't be much of a debate. If it was purely subjective it would be a pointless shouting match.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I never went to school here in the US but I have to ask. Don't the school teach you which states are southern, mid western, northern etc? OR ..is this just a matter of your own opinion? Because if that's the case it is no point debating about it. It would be like debating what taste better, Coca Cola or Pepsi?
I live in Memphis, TN. As far as I know Memphis is in the South. But according to a friend of mine it is not the south. So who knows whats right anyways?
Memphis is absolutely in the South. There is no debating that. People can say it isn't in the South, but its history, culture, weather, everything about it is Southern. There is nothing about it that is not Southern.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:35 AM

The other thing I will mention is that hillbillies and hicks are not just confined to the South. You will find them virtually in all of Appalachia including Upstate New York as well as all of the Ozarks. But in my opinion, hillbillies and "hicks" are generally what are considered country by most people. I also think that many people would agree that most of the Great Plains can be considered country as well...these are farms in the middle of nowhere, so these people are relatively isolated from urban areas...Texas, Oklahoma, and also Kansas and even Nebraska would fit into this profile reasonably well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.