Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 03:58 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times

Advertisements

St. Louis is up there, as is Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
St. Louis has a lot of ugly suburban development, I'll admit that. There's some tacky development in the city also. I love the Historic Downtown, though. And a lot of the neighborhoods have unique architectural styles (though all mostly brick).

Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
My first thought was Los Angeles...I think the concept was invented there.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM

65 posts, read 147,194 times
The concept of the fully detached single family ranch home was developed in Los Angeles, along with the starter bungalow but the concept of suburbia itself was around way before then (it started in Great Britain as weekend villas for wealthy merchants). The other large cities of the sun belt have indeed started copying LA's model and plastering the landscape with endless concrete seas of cookie-sutter McMansion subdivisions and look alike strip malls with their PetSmarts and Bed Bath & Beyonds (the architecture of the strip mall is the same regardless of whether you're in Portland, OR or Jackson, MS). I believe that this is a subconscious rendering of a general blandness in contemporary society-no one is doing anything differently, everything is the same. Where is the originality, the character? Did it all die the moment the Super Wal-Mart/Super Target moved in? I used to be excited about traveling to different places, but when every place off the interstate has a Wal-Mart with a parking lot full of Camrys, I just focus on the road ahead.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Los Angeles, Las vegas and Miami

Old 10-15-2008, 10:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Phoenix. Houston. SoCal. Raleigh/Durham. Charlotte. Atlanta. Basically ANY Sunbelt city where architectural variety and taste has gone by the wayside in order to cater quickly to the teeming masses.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Phoenix. Houston. SoCal. Raleigh/Durham. Charlotte. Atlanta. Basically ANY Sunbelt city where architectural variety and taste has gone by the wayside in order to cater quickly to the teeming masses.
Hmm, this trend is not unique to the sunbelt. basically all expanding metros sacrifice architectural variety and taste for an easier and cheaper way of living.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
I love to travel cross country by car but recently I have been saddened how many cities and towns have been spoiled by over development that is not architecturally or environmentally pleasing. There are some really ugly developments out there. I remember when the area was a beautiful meadow or forest, but it was built with no concern about appearances.

There can be development that is both economically healthy but still environmentally sound and attractive but some communities do not have much of this.

What city or metro area has the most development that does not have any redeeming qualities architecturally or visually?
Atlanta has some suburban very ugly "strips" of over-development, without any regard or thought to the future, the past, just making money *now*, in the present. It's sad and pathetic.

The same can be said for Houston, Dallas, northern New Jersey, portions of Long Island, NY, Orlando/Tampa/Jacksonville, FL, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, of course.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
phoenix metro - i agree with this. It's monochrome: the buildings (with the exception of the small downtown area), houses, mountains, land. Everything looks the same. You get a large concentrated dose of this driving on I-17 in/out of the city.
Think what you want, but Phoenix is probably one of the cleanest looking cities in the country (you can include the freeways w/ that as well).

Old 10-15-2008, 01:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Think what you want, but Phoenix is probably one of the cleanest looking cities in the country (you can include the freeways w/ that as well).
i guess your definition of clean is monochrome?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.