Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:59 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i guess your definition of clean is monochrome?

When I say clean, I don't mean for it to mean something else.

For example: NJ = Not clean.

How's that?

Last edited by AZLiam; 10-15-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
I would say any metro area WEST of Portland, Maine. IMO every city in this country is starting to look the same.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
What about Dallas?!?!?!
I mean... its not like I would like to have it listed...
but in all honesty...
but We have a problem with this too...
Lack of architecture, and the works...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
When I say clean, I don't mean for it to mean something else.

For example: NJ = Not clean.

How's that?
But the question is ugly commercial development. Not cleanliness. And, parts of the Phoenix are clean, some are not. Just like NJ or any other state and city in the US.

You're finding offense where there is none.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
But the question is ugly commercial development. Not cleanliness. And, parts of the Phoenix are clean, some are not. Just like NJ or any other state and city in the US.

You're finding offense where there is none.
I can revisit several threads that were, in fact, very offensive about Phoenix in reference to how it looks or the fact that it is "sprawled", or ugly, or not a "tall" city. If you think ugly means commercial and residential development blending into the environment around it (mountains), then yes, perhaps it is boring, but ugly, no. I have visited many cities where neighborhoods and commercial developments are certainly not kept up and definitely ugly, but Phoenix would not be at the top of my list.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM

936 posts, read 3,191,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I can revisit several threads that were, in fact, very offensive about Phoenix in reference to how it looks or the fact that it is "sprawled", or ugly, or not a "tall" city. If you think ugly means commercial and residential development blending into the environment around it (mountains), then yes, perhaps it is boring, but ugly, no. I have visited many cities where neighborhoods and commercial developments are certainly not kept up and definitely ugly, but Phoenix would not be at the top of my list.
phoenix is the largest suburb in the united states. i can fall asleep just driving through it. "ticky tack" it is, and that's ugly. it's repeating the problem you can find in the inland empire (riverside and san bernardino).

Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
phoenix is the largest suburb in the united states. i can fall asleep just driving through it. "ticky tack" it is, and that's ugly. it's repeating the problem you can find in the inland empire (riverside and san bernardino).
Well, let's not hope you fall asleep at the wheel then...

Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Definitely Austin. =[
Every city in Texas outside of their downtown, basically.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:54 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Atlanta has some suburban very ugly "strips" of over-development, without any regard or thought to the future, the past, just making money *now*, in the present. It's sad and pathetic.

The same can be said for Houston, Dallas, northern New Jersey, portions of Long Island, NY, Orlando/Tampa/Jacksonville, FL, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, of course.
Those "over-developed strips" were pre-1990, guaranteed. Development since, for the most part, exceptions being mall areas, has been small commercial areas intermixed and surrounded by residential areas, not ten continuous miles of commercial development. Such was very common in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
Most of the Sunbelt cities. Funny how people keep moving there though. I guess people like that element of tackiness. IMO, in a way, it does eliminate an element of pretentiousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.