Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 AM

549 posts, read 848,280 times

Advertisements

I'm going to throw Milwaukee into the mix. While driving in the city is a breeze, the parking situation is absolutely insane. I can't find the source right now, but about 3 years ago there was an article on the situation showing that Milwaukee writes more parking tickets every month then NYC does in a year. They've got it down to a science that produces $25 million in revenue for the city annually. Living there, you learn to expect a ticket on your car at LEAST once per month...and that's if you know all of the rules.

Milwaukee has a fleet of 10,000 parking checker jeeps. They are constantly on the streets looking for people to write tickets for. You can't be parked illegally anywhere in the city for 10 minutes without getting a ticket. In addition, you need to obtain parking permission to park on any city street overnight. If you fail to request permission before 10pm, you get a ticket. If you get permission but fail to follow all of the parking rules, you get a ticket. If you don't know about the rules (which is likely if you're a visitor because they're only posted ONCE at the border of the city on every street), you get a ticket. You're only allowed to request permission for the same vehicle in the same block three times in a month. If you have a guest in town for longer, they need buy a $20 (4 month) Parking Permit. Even if you have a permit, and you somehow don't follow the proper overnight rules, you get a ticket. It's impossible to NOT get a ticket in Milwaukee.

Check out the regulations for overnight parking here: Parking Regulations

Here are some highlights:
There is no parking on city streets between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday unless the vehicle displays a valid night parking permit or has night parking permission.

On even-numbered calendar days (before midnight) a vehicle with a valid night permit must be legally parked on the side of the street with even house numbers; on odd-numbered calendar days (before midnight) a vehicle must be parked on the side of the street with odd house numbers. The even or odd date will be the date three hours before the 2:00 a.m. no parking without permit goes into effect.

If a snow emergency has been declared, night parking regulations are in effect from 11:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. on all city streets regardless of the winter parking regulation.

No overnight parking is allowed on through highways and mass transit (bus) routes from December 1 to March 1. These streets are not posted. For a list of these streets please go to the Winter Parking Regulations page. In case of a "Snow Emergency" prior to December 1 or after March 1, vehicles must be moved to a side street and must be legally parked in conformity with all other regulations on the proper side of the street.

All vehicles must be moved once every 24 hours regardless of permit or permission status.

In addition, parking checkers are on commission and have quotas, so they're constantly out with tape measures making sure you're more than 4' from a crosswalk, more than 12" from the next car, less than 12" from the curb, etc.

I've spent plenty of time in Chicago and parking overnight there is simple compared to Milwaukee.

Milwaukee Parking Regulations: Quicksand for the Unwary Citizen - Milwaukee Commuter | Examiner.com

Parking quota drives ticket writing frenzy, error rate - TODAY'S TMJ4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
I don't know how anyone could put San Francisco over Manhattan. It seems like every house in SF has a garage in front of it.

Edit: Mmh, now that I think about it maybe that creates it's own unique set of problems with very limited street parking for people that drive into the city from elsewhere. I know developers in Philly are really not allowed to have front facing garages because they take up street spots and disconnect residents from the streetscape.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-07-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,506 times
'worst' cities to drive or just own a car ???

my experience

Drivers and driving in Birmingham AL ?? braindead

in Memphis ? absolute stupidity displayed ..one of the worst perhaps

Atlanta ? hey, at least they get out of your way, if not, they will run over you..just don't EVER go out on the streets when it's snowing, these fools don't understand the term "bumpercars"

San Diego ? ditto esp on the 5

TampaBay ? road rage at its best at times, esp on the "Frankenstein" and the slow idiots on the Skyway

St Louis to west counties/Clayton ? reasonably competent and courteous

Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,506 times
worst city to OWN a vehicle ? Manhattan, hands down

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I'm going to throw Milwaukee into the mix. While driving in the city is a breeze, the parking situation is absolutely insane.
I was floored the first time I went to Milwaukee at how regulated the parking is.

Having said that...............Milwaukee has no business being in the discussion.

Boston is by a wide margin the worst place I've ever driven a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.