Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Mississippi or South Carolina. Go figure, as those are the states my parents are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:09 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
4. South Carolina - (The first state to secede, and with the most support within. The ONLY reason I don't rank it as "most Southern" is the colonial influence and its own certain (and admirable) brand of independence. However, South Carolina, and the states that follow are those which absolutely embrace and proclaim their "Southerness")

3. Georgia - (Gone With the Wind. The Empire State of The South, epitome of the "southern accent". ONLY problem is Atlanta nowdays!)

2. Alabama - (Azaleas, plantations, DEEP Deep South thru and thru. Literally, in all ways, the geographical "Heart of Dixie" whether or not one defines "The South" by the Old Confederacy, or the commonly thought of Deep South states (South Carolina thru Louisiana). Only reason it is second is that the northern part is a bit different from the Old South way of life in the southern parts).

1. Mississippi - (I might mention that this is my own ancestral state, but I dont think that fact influences my opinion. Mississippi combines all things commonly considered "Southern" with very few dilutions at all).

There, I done it! And prepared to catch kudos or hell over it! LOL
Now if my home state of South Carolina did not have the colonial history...wouldn't we we be ranked ahead of Georgia?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You being from Waco, you might know if this is fact or urban legend. I always heard that the feller who "invented" Dr. Pepper was a "soda-jerk" working at a Waco drugstore back the day when a lot of drugstores in the South had a counter bar and grill. Anyway, he was courting a young lady whose father was a certain Dr. Claude Pepper. To impress her and win her "affections" he came up with a brew which became VERY popular, and named it after her father: Dr. Pepper!

Alas, as the story goes, she married another guy. Of course, given how the rest is history and millions of dollars...I have to wonder if she ended up regreting that decision? LOL

That actually is true!

Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default This Is Easy...All The Southern States Without World Class Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
What southern state do you think is the most country in your opinion? Such as thick southern accent, southern hospitality, food, and other stuff that is southern.
Is this a serious question...which Southern State Is The Most Country...&....Southern..The One's Without any Large National Ranked Cities....Or On A Broader Scale ...Any World Class Cities. Texas is out andso is Georgia and Florida (Wow..La...) Mississippi....West Virginia...
Arkansas..Alabama

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
At the risk of being thought of as racist, I would make this observation:

In the USA, there is more difference beween southern whites than northern whites, than the difference betewen souther blacks and northern blacks. In other words, in black communities, the north/south difference is less conspicuous than in white communities. This may be due to a larger number of northern blacks having southern roots. As a result, to me, southern states that have larger white populations seem more southern than states that have larger black populations.

Arkansas and Kentucky seem the most southern to me, and I arrived at the above as I tried to rationalze why I felt that way.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At the risk of being thought of as racist, I would make this observation:

In the USA, there is more difference beween southern whites than northern whites, than the difference betewen souther blacks and northern blacks. In other words, in black communities, the north/south difference is less conspicuous than in white communities. This may be due to a larger number of northern blacks having southern roots. As a result, to me, southern states that have larger white populations seem more southern than states that have larger black populations.

Arkansas and Kentucky seem the most southern to me, and I arrived at the above as I tried to rationalze why I felt that way.
That is a very interesting point of view, thank you for sharing!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Now if my home state of South Carolina did not have the colonial history...wouldn't we we be ranked ahead of Georgia?
I am surprised I missed this post and query of yours, GP! LOL

Seriously though, it was all done at least partially in the spirit of good humor...and by the time I got to the end of the list (that is, the states "most Southern") it became increasingly difficult!

My use of "colonial" history may have been a poor word choice on my part, since of course Georgia too was one of the 13 Original Colonies. I guess what I was trying to say was that South Carolina has always had (at least IMHO and from talking to those native to the state) a certain "independent" streak which, in some ways, differentiates it a bit from the rest of the Deep South. It unquestionably embraces and proudly proclaims its undisputed credentials as part of this sub-region, yet at the same time, natives also identify as being South Carolinians on a level approaching or even equal to, being Deep South Southerners.

As an aside here, being a Texan, I can empathize very much with this general attitude and outlook. That is to say, while the vast majority of Texans (if socio-cultural surveys are any indication) consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners, the same vast majority consider themselves to be "Texans" in their own right...in a way which often supercedes larger regional identification.

I may not be doing a good job of imparting all this, I admit. Another approach is to say that, if one asks a Texan what s/he first and foremost identifies with, most with say "Texas." The second level (and there is a study done on this as well) will be the South.

I always detected somewhat of the same being true of South Carolinians...hastening to add that South Carolina is obviously much more "Southern" than Texas. The contrast is, again IMHO, that people in Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi, are a bit more prone to identify themselves as Southerners first, rather than Georgians, Mississippians, or Alabamans. South Carolinians however, again, seem to place state and regional identity on a more "equal" footing.

Does this make any semblence of sense? Or does it strike you as the rantings of a mad man?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times
Haha. It's okay. I see what you're saying.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
The state that is the most country is the one that has the most rednecks like this for example.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/06/20/08/image_4708206.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,935 times
I have NO idea. But I say Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.