Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Suburban, Urban or Rural?
Suburban 22 27.85%
Urban 22 27.85%
Rural 28 35.44%
Other (if I missed a designation) 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:56 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times

Advertisements

I voted for rural but perhaps Other might apply. What I really like is a small town.
It's good to have a grocery store near by but I don't need a lot of things.
It's turning into a really interesting poll with some unexpected results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,413 times
I guess just like anything else this comes down to tradeoffs. Given the tradeoffs that we must face I think suburbs are the best. It's cheaper than the city (for most areas), safer, with better schools and less congestion. But at the same time you have access to the better jobs that urban areas on the whole tend to provide. A lot of urbanists tend to stress the cultural resources that a city provides but living in the suburbs allows one to easily take advantage of the arts and culture of the city. Rural areas are nice but employment there is dicey. Not to mention that getting errands done (groceries, doctors visits, etc.) takes a lot longer. Schools on the whole are also not as good as the suburbs.

I can understand why people prefer the city or the country but for the average middle class person the suburbs are best in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks again to all those that contributed.

Perhaps more folks will stop by and vote later on.

In the meantime, I really am more than surprised by the large number for rural living. I had the impression, now under review , that suburban might have come in number #1. Much to learn in this here life!.

Peace!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for popping in with a clear preference for suburan and why.

My ignorance of course, but I've always thought of LA as urban with communities. I see I'm wrong!
Most of L.A. is urban; you're right. I grew up in the La Crescenta/La Canada area, though, which is isolated between two mountain ranges. These cities have much more of a surburban feel. Combined population: 40,000 or so.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:35 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Most of L.A. is urban; you're right. I grew up in the La Crescenta/La Canada area, though, which is isolated between two mountain ranges. These cities have much more of a surburban feel. Combined population: 40,000 or so.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,650 times
I chose rural, but still want to be within an hour of shopping (Home Depot, Costco etc.)

Old 02-19-2007, 11:30 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
That's a tough one for me to answer. I would have to prefice it by saying I need to live by the water. I grew up on the water and have never lived further than a half hour away, mostly less than a few minutes away. That would have to be my major prerequisite.

I found LA to be a vast sprawl, more along the lines of a concentrated suburban. Isolated at home and too much driving. San Jose was much better in that it was near the unique city of SF as well as the smaller cities along the ocean and the nearby foothills. The fresh food was good as well as the weather.

Ports cities are of the greatest interest, small historical cities such as Annapolis and where I am now. International travelers provide intrigue. Better if there's a good bakery and are close enough to a cultural center for an easy weekend jaunt. I also spend part of the year in Manhattan, and I want to be right in the middle of what's going on. Prefer staying near a park, but give me a bus pass and I'm happy. I love to explore and talk to everyone. Nice not to have to worry about a car, a consideration when you get older. I'd like to try DC, Toronto, or Portland for longer periods than just a short visit.

Found many other spots to be fun and interesting in NM, FL, GA, SC, CA, RI, etc, all over really. I'm easy to please. It's hard to predict just what place will strike your fancy, mine anyway. Do like to have an active arts/creative scene if possible or at least a college, and beautiful architecture is important to me.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-20-2007 at 12:08 AM..

Old 02-20-2007, 01:03 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
You forgot the exurbs. The suburbs of the suburbs. Thats where I like to be. In the exurbs of a medium sized city(2.5 mill and down, anything above that is to much congestion). The houses with the larger yards and longer driveways set back into the properties for some privacy. But not to far from a city.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I picked "urban." In my opinion, everyone is moving to suburbia to "raise their kids near wide, open spaces." At the same time, these open spaces are being developed for more and more low-density housing and strip malls; I've seen this firsthand here in NEPA with the influx of NJ/NYC folks flocking here for "open space." If everyone lived in densely-populated cities and stopped expanding low-density housing further and further out in ever-growing concentric circles around our urban centers, then we ALL truly could have "the best of both worlds." We could live in thriving areas within walking distance of culture, nightlife, workplaces, schools, parks, friends' homes, etc., yet still only be a brief drive (or mass transit trip) from unspoiled natural beauty. This is why I'm a huge supporter of "growth boundaries", similar to what Oregon now has. This is also why I immediately push locals to look into housing options in my area's decaying urban centers first before even considering suburbia. It may be nice to say "I have deer in the backyard", but if everyone likewise wants to say that as the new "American Dream", then where will all of the deer be able to roam? Now that the majority of Americans live in "suburban" areas, (unfortunately including myself for the time-being), we've done nothing but make it harder for those in urban areas to access rural areas to "get away from it all" for visits.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-20-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-20-2007, 10:33 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
People like the urban and rural settings because of things those places have. They like the 'burbs for things they don't have - crime, mainly.

If I had children, I might feel differently. But, living in the suburbs is like a jail sentence for me.

I vote for urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.