Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

7 posts, read 76,351 times

Advertisements

My husband received a job covering the southeast U.S. territory. We have 4 kids 11 and younger. We have the choice where to live. We just have to be near a major airport for my husband to travel between southeast states and South America. Any suggestions on cities that are family friendly with good schools and low crime. We are looking to buy a home around 250k and prefer a newer home with a decent sized yard. - Thanks -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I don't know if you consider this or not but Louisville or Lexington KY is a great place that has all your needs. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennf45 View Post
My husband received a job covering the southeast U.S. territory. We have 4 kids 11 and younger. We have the choice where to live. We just have to be near a major airport for my husband to travel between southeast states and South America. Any suggestions on cities that are family friendly with good schools and low crime. We are looking to buy a home around 250k and prefer a newer home with a decent sized yard. - Thanks -
You should check out Peachtree City, Georgia, which is 20 miles south of Atlanta near the airport, which offers direct flights to nearly everywhere in the country and most major cities in the world.

Peachtree City is a masterplanned community, that became an incorporated city. The homes are nice and the city is navigable by golf cart, if you can believe that . The schools there are great as well.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM

thanks for the info. we have been looking into newnan, ga since my husband flies with delta. any pros/cons about newnan?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Try the suburbs of Atlanta, GA. Major airport, nice distance compromise, reasonably priced suburbs somewhat closeby with low crime and good schools (like Peachtree City mentioned above). There are some areas down here that meet your criteria (particularly in reference to travel to South America) but fiscally this region makes no sense (overpriced), and it is isolated from the rest of the southeast, or else I might recommend my location of Weston, FL.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 PM

we looked into florida but i think the schools and cost of living turned us away. We actually were considering the Orlando area, specifically Oviedo. I think we are leaning towards Atlanta area unless there is somewhere else I am not finding.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennf45 View Post
we looked into florida but i think the schools and cost of living turned us away. We actually were considering the Orlando area, specifically Oviedo. I think we are leaning towards Atlanta area unless there is somewhere else I am not finding.
Yeah. You can't beat ATL's cost of living and centralized location. Oviedo is very nice though, but I'm not a huge fan of the Orlando area itself, which has a lot of issues with crime, traffic, and racial tension (kind of like Atlanta), but the COL just makes it totally not worth it since it's lacking in culture or the dynamic feeling of, say, Atlanta or South Florida (or even Tampa). The schools are actually bad in GA too, supposedly worse than FL, but this doesn't apply to the entire state.

I would say ATL is the way to go, and Peachtree City is a really good recommendation. I am very hesitant to recommend FL due to the cost of living.

Another place you should look into, however, is Sugar Land, TX, outside of Houston. Even cheaper, schools are just as good, and in my opinion Houston is a far more dynamic city than Atlanta with real culture and a sense of multiculturalism that really stunned me on my first visit.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:13 AM

36 posts, read 236,245 times
Jennf45, if your husband is not going to be in rush hour traffic, you should considered, suwannee,Ga which is about 40 miles from the airport you can find a very nice home with 5 bed 2.5baths and some even 6 bed 3.5 bath in your price range up to 270k.The schools are great and you will like it very much,everything is centric + it is a beautiful city (10th best place to live in the USA) in Peachtree City like somebody suggested there is only 3 house available with 4bed;2.5bath in your price range, having 4 kids I can imagen you need the space. Let us know if we can help you more.

Make It a Great Day!!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM

oh ya i did forget to say that my husband will be working at home when he is home. so traffic is not really an issue. Thanks for the responses. The only other thing that we have to consider is my 11 year old is in competition soccer and she wants to continue. so if there are any really good competition leagues in the area that will make a difference in our decision as well.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
I have to agree with Atlanta and the surrounding area. It has just about everything you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.