Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,582,237 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe and Charleston are indeed nice, but I doubt many foreign tourists have even heard of them before hearing of NY, LA, VEGAS, etc. I would advocate for at least 1 swiss town in the top 10 as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, come on. Surely, you're not that big of a clod. Yesterday, you claimed that you had never heard of Birmingham, Alabama.
Why would anyone have heard of these places? There are a thousand cities with the same name. Yes, the Civil Rights movement has important moments associated, but other than that, who cares?

They are small, sleepy southern towns. Barely a blip on the national radar, much less the international screen. I can think of other southern towns that have a much larger international presence with respect to tourism.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
A North American magazine puts 5/10 places on the list located in North America. No suprise

Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
I'm not familiar with Charleston, but I love Savannah. For those who have been to both, would you say Charleston is better? Santa Fe was kind of a surprise.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If people are bewildered by this list they should look at who put it out, Conde Nast. This magazine isn't exactly representative of the average traveler at all. CN specializes in luxury travel, high priced hotels, spas, etc... and all that crap most people don't care about or can't afford. So this list maybe makes sense for 1-3% of the population.
There may be a truth to what your saying. Alot of people feel the need to do something different to show how wordly they are.

Paris, London, New York, Chicago, LA? Been there done that.

Las Vegas, Orlando, Atlantic City, Cancun or Miami? Only for us middle class peasants.

So you need to show you been some place different. But for most of us peasants would you really choose to go all the way to Sydney to see an opera house or to Paris to see the opera? Would you really fly all the way to Capetown, South Afirca instead of London or Rome! Sydney and Capetown might actually be nice places but come on.

I am suprised that these Conde Nast voters did not choose an Antartica base camp or a remote Congo village as one of their favorite cities.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Orlando..Daytona Beach and probably Chicago. Thats if i was from another Country.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Why would anyone have heard of these places? There are a thousand cities with the same name. Yes, the Civil Rights movement has important moments associated, but other than that, who cares?

They are small, sleepy southern towns. Barely a blip on the national radar, much less the international screen. I can think of other southern towns that have a much larger international presence with respect to tourism.
Well, this doesn't really have much to do with the original thread. But I'm really amazed anybody can be so ignorant of national geography. Birmingham has 1.2 million in its metro area and now produces about 8% of the country's automobiles, along with having an important role in the country's history.

Charleston is an important port, a famous historic city, a major tourist destination, and home to one of the country's most famous arts festivals.

Neither city comes anywhere close to being sleepy.

Here's the deal, I'm a Chicago guy, too. But I knew about these cities long before I moved down South. Do yourself a favor and learn something about the country. It's one thing to not know much about a place that size, but to have actually never heard of it before? That's bordering on having to ride the short bus to the special school.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 9,382 times
San Francisco yay! greatest city in the world if you ask me!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
I haven't been to alot of cities but if there is a better one than Prague in the U.S. sign me up..I lived in Czech(about 2 hour drive from the city though) for awhile and visited alot of big European cities in my 4 years there, and nothing touched Prague in my eyes.

Of course its my personal opinion, I even got engaged on the Charles Bridge at the lucky St. John of Nepomuk statue so obviously I'm a little biased.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:47 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
New York isn't number one in everything?! Outrageous!!

Do they know how big it is?!!!?!!!? And how dense its urban core is!!????!!!?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.