Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the world was created in 5000 years. There are some of us who believe in a young earth though but this isn't the thread for that
Missy, don't dabate happ.
Prejudicial comments should never be something you should feel compelled to answer.

Not that you are not aware of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:12 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Prejudicial comments should never be something you should feel compelled to answer.

Practice what you preach

Old 10-22-2008, 10:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Colddiamond,
You'll do just fine.

I for one can't believe some on the nonsense that I'm actually read on this thread.
All Southerns wave the Rebel flag? Good lord get out of the past.

The best bakeries are Southern Women's kitchens.

I'm not even gonna address Happ. Just too silly for words.

People are basically the same, the food's just different.

Have a grand adventure!

Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Colddiamond,
You'll do just fine.

I for one can't believe some on the nonsense that I'm actually read on this thread.
All Southerns wave the Rebel flag? Good lord get out of the past.

The best bakeries are Southern Women's kitchens.

I'm not even gonna address Happ. Just too silly for words.

People are basically the same, the food's just different.

Have a grand adventure!
Spoken like a true Southern Lady. Thanks.
Perhaps one's attitiude towrds life and people come into play as well.
Politeness, consideration, putting your best foot forward, humility, knowing how to converse and keep it cordial are all traits that will help you do well in most any environment.
When I lived in LaGrange GA., people would ask me about Chicago and sort of lump it in with NYC. I basically told people that the pace is faster and people don't stop to chat because of how crowded a day can be. Especially if someone has an hour or more to commute each way to work. Plus being such a HUGE population center it is unlikely to bump into someone you know compared to a town of 20,000. Our summers are generally cooler and less muggy also letting us keep this pace all year. You still have pleasant exchanges with people. They are not as frequent and don't last as long. If you stop someone on the street to ask for directions, most will stop and try to help.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Thanks ya'll.

This adventure of mine probably wont come for another year or so...but I like collecting information nonetheless.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thanks ya'll.

This adventure of mine probably wont come for another year or so...but I like collecting information nonetheless.
it's the smart thing to do. wow, you're intelligent and pretty...nice combo.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

Thank you darling, you are absolutely right.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
What I think it all boils down to is this:
1) be yourself
2) don't always compare to "back home"
3) have a good attitude and you will see good, bad attitude and you will see bad about the area.
4) be yourself (I know I already said it once but that should be first and last of everything you do.)

Good luck, and most of us don't bite up North .

Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
What I think it all boils down to is this:
1) be yourself
2) don't always compare to "back home"
3) have a good attitude and you will see good, bad attitude and you will see bad about the area.
4) be yourself (I know I already said it once but that should be first and last of everything you do.)

Good luck, and most of us don't bite up North .
LOL Ive met some transplants down here that certainly would. I guess thats what's made me a bit wary of going up there, since they are my only "experience".

Usually, when I have a customer that is being a jerk, they have a northern accent ( Chicago, NY, etc).
Now, I know everyone up there isnt like that. But the cranky ones are the ones you remember if they are your only exposure to the people from another region.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:25 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
LOL Ive met some transplants down here that certainly would. I guess thats what's made me a bit wary of going up there, since they are my only "experience".

Usually, when I have a customer that is being a jerk, they have a northern accent ( Chicago, NY, etc).
Now, I know everyone up there isnt like that. But the cranky ones are the ones you remember if they are your only exposure to the people from another region.
I don't mean to 'dis' our more northern bros, but California people are generally more relaxed. Probably quieter than Chicagoans\ New Yorkers & a maybe a little stand off initially. Also more physical with women outside in the sun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.