Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What U$ coins should be gone?
1 cent (penny) 35 35.00%
5 cent (nickel) 4 4.00%
Both 1 and 5 cent 16 16.00%
No, they are useful 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent1900 View Post
I'm really having a problem coming to grips with the fact that things like identity theft are brought up to counter an idea that could remove all drug dealers from street corners.
Take away cash, and drug dealers find other ways to get their money.
As long as drugs are illegal, people will get rich off them one way or the other. Not condoning drug use, I think it's awful, but there's got to be better ways to fight the drug problem in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 PM

88 posts, read 312,197 times
I know that eliminating cash would not eliminate the illegal drug trade.

But it would certainly change the shape of it. Do you really think you would see crews working street corners with debit card swipers in their hand? And how much of the violence that goes with the trade is due to the large amounts of cash moving about?

I'd still like to hear any other arguments for continuing the use of cash. "I'm afraid of identity theft" just does not cut it, as i'd be willing to wager that anyone who says that already has a bank account or credit card that would already make them vulnerable to it.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Well, they should round the prices to the nearest tenth or fifth, such as for example (if a t-shirt cost $9.99, they could make it to $9.95 or $9.90)

What about when you add the tax on an item?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Well, they should round the prices to the nearest tenth or fifth, such as for example (if a t-shirt cost $9.99, they could make it to $9.95 or $9.90)

Yeah, they round UP...which means that everything is going to cost you more, and it may seem like mere pennies, but it adds up.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
what about sales tax. I think that's a stupid idea. Long live the penny!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I put all my pennies, nickles, and dimes in a jar and go to a coin star every month.
You'd be surprised how useful they can be.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yep, get rid of pennies and paper $1.
lammius......................... You have just thrown the Strip Club industry into a state of disarray.
What will attractive women with little to no life skills do in an effort to sustain an above average lifestyle?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
The biggest red flag here is it costs more to make one penny than it's actually worth! That fact is partially helped since pennys are obviously used more than once, so their value sticks around for a long time - but they're still very marginally useful.

People don't pay for things in pennys - they hoard them up because they're virtually useless as currency, and then change them in for say $12 once every year or two. Even if they went all out and just rounded everythigng up - the price of inflation would basically render your $12 over the course of a year or two as completely inmaterial.

I've been reading that a growing problem is people melting pennys down - since you can go buy pennys and sell them for more than they're worth if you don't have to spend much energy/$ melting them down. Of course that's a small number of people doing it as the profit margin is very small - but it's still a point that can't be ignored. The USA is buying raw materials and turning them into something worth less than they cost.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I put all my pennies, nickles, and dimes in a jar and go to a coin star every month.
You'd be surprised how useful they can be.
I just roll mine like twice a year. But yeah coinstar would work. I also do the same and only keep the quarters in pocket as that is the only thing I can use in laundry machines, and only thing that the parking meters will now accept.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent1900 View Post
I realize that eliminating cash would not create a utopia, but all of the comments about how so many people are using their credit/debit cards to conduct business now anyways just goes to show that more and more cash is just being used for 'illicit' purposes. So why bother continuing to rack up the expense of printing and maintaining it?
Getting rid of cash doesn't get rid of drug dealers. It just gives them a reason to accept even more stolen jewelry and other goods. Crime would skyrocket.

Plus, I'm sure everyone on this thread could give examples of how we still use cash. I've never used my credit/debit card at a farmers market, fair, carnival, ballpark.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.