Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following desert city is the best to live, work and play...
Las Vegas 29 32.58%
Phoenix 15 16.85%
Tucson 13 14.61%
Albuquerque 32 35.96%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,135,803 times

Advertisements

It seems like Phoenix isn't too popular, I wander why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,325,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I also selected Tucson since it's at a higher elevation than Phoenix w/ cooler summers & some fantastic thunderstorms.

What about Palm Springs? It is, of-course, much smaller than the 4 listed cities but is very close to Mt. San Jacinto via tram & only 2 hours from both LA & San Diego.
I forgot about Palm Springs. For someone considering moving to a desert city, it should definitely be considered. It has a different feel from the other cities in the poll, but it is most certainly the desert.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
1: Albuquerque: My favorite on the list, awesome culture, food, great hiking, amazing network of biking trails, just the right size, great freeways, close to Santa Fe with rail connections between the two cities, and very friendly with a nice balanced mix of natives and transplants .

2: Tucson: If I wasn't moving to NM I'd consider Tucson as a second option. It seems to embrace Southwestern culture and food quite well and out of the four it has the most impressive desert vegetation with the Sagauro cactuses and beautiful mountains.

3: Phoenix: Would rather spend a weekend here, very nice hotel resorts (I would prefer over Vegas), too big and sprawly for my liking though. Tucson and Albuquerque seem to have more originality and character.

4: Las Vegas: Couldn't fathom living here. Too seedy, tourist driven, away fromthe strip not a very attractive city, least attractive outskirts for desert scenery given the other choices. And the economy sucks as it will take a very long time for this place to figure out how to reinevent itself.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I like each of those four cities. Any of them can be good places to live-- it all depends on your needs and preferences. Of those four Phoenix, being the largest has the ability to appeal to the widest range of people. They are all acquired tastes, of course, but Las Vegas, Tucson, and Albuquerque would probably only appeal to people looking for a certain "niche." I personally love Albuquerque and I think I could be very happy living there. There are people who would live in Phoenix because it meets the bare minimum of their criteria but would turn down the other three for one reason or another. In terms of work-- Phoenix is the biggest and has the most diverse economy of those four. Las Vegas is doable career wise for many people but not everybody. In terms of play, Las Vegas wins. Scottsdale comes in as a close second. For hiking and exploring the outdoors, each of them have something to offer, but I'd rate Tucson as #1 (Catalina Mountains, Saguaro National Park), Albuquerque as #2 (Sandia Mountains), Las Vegas as #3 (mainly because of the incredible Spring Mountains right nearby, otherwise Vegas would be last), and Phoenix last (a bunch of mountain preserves, but doesn't compare to the mountains of LV, TUS, or ABQ). For climate, I'd rank Albuquerque #1 especially if you're more of a four seasons type and aren't that big on EXTREME heat, Tucson #1 or #2 if you like it hot, Vegas #3, and Phoenix #4 dead last.
But those are the very reasons I would pick Phoenix out of all of those... All 4 sports, closer drives to LA/San Diego, bigger job and media market, better airport hub with exception of LV, and you have Tempe/Scottsdale/Flagstaff all right in your back yard.
For me it is often big and location location location, as I travel a bunch anyway (usually out of town twice a month meeting clients or checking out new areas) and look more "regionally" than city specific, but like to have a big city also. I go to all those more "niche" cities anyway, I don't find I need to live there though to experience it. I would visit all the other 3, but live in Phoenix. I'd rank them Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tuscon, then ABQ. Sacrificing choice by living in the SW and still getting cold/snow as in ABQ would **** me off.

Those other cities are indeed cool and more unique... but those are the very reasons I wouldn't live there, as they don't meet the minimum requirements that I would look at for somewhere to live. I've done the medium sized city thing and they aren't for me or my career.

Last edited by grapico; 02-07-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,016,278 times
Large desert metropolitises are in big trouble as they are running out of water. By 2050, water will be a more important resource than oil. Only 2.5% of the earth's water is fresh, and 2/3 of that is frozen near the earth's poles. Large desert cities' economies is based on homebuilding and roadbuilding, and these are not sustainable economies. Lake Mead is now at record-low levels.

In retirement guides and magazines, I often see recommended for retirement, Las Cruces NM, St. George UT and Cedar City UT.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 PM

16 posts, read 48,828 times
Smile I live in Hawaii and have to move to the desert

I live in paradise in a small home. My arthritis is terrible here because of the humidity. I need to check out some desert cities. I'm leaning toward Nevada, Las Vegas area because many Hawaiian residents live there but I'm open to other places. I can't do Santa Fe because of the elevation. I have lung issues. But I need more information. I'm a youngish 66 and a part time teacher. Any ideas?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times
My favorite desert city is Phoenix.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayaone View Post
I live in paradise in a small home. My arthritis is terrible here because of the humidity. I need to check out some desert cities. I'm leaning toward Nevada, Las Vegas area because many Hawaiian residents live there but I'm open to other places. I can't do Santa Fe because of the elevation. I have lung issues. But I need more information. I'm a youngish 66 and a part time teacher. Any ideas?
Albuquerque will probably have the best air quality, however Las Vegas will have the least amount of humidity and rainfall.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,849,017 times
I would add Reno, NV

Old 10-19-2016, 01:48 AM

218 posts, read 347,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I forgot about Palm Springs. For someone considering moving to a desert city, it should definitely be considered. It has a different feel from the other cities in the poll, but it is most certainly the desert.
I did not vote since all four cities are cliquish, with horrible crime, terrible roads, drug problems, many doctors don't take insurance, easy to get fired for a minor infraction, Phoenix is full of trust funder millenials and their wild parties at Arizona state univ and in Scottsdale.
I've lived in all except Tucson.
I've also lived in Palm Springs and hated it. It has nice scenery but the people are rude and nasty.
I'm looking to get out of Arizona to a more sophisticated, normal place like LA or orange county or San Diego and wish to find educated people and get a masters degree and make more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.