Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,981,610 times

Advertisements

Oh good..lets see.

University of Arkansas at Monticello Boll Weevils!! Yeehaw! Everyone fear the vicious cotton eating boll weevil..

Webster University. Nice architecture...but the mascot is the venerable Gorlok. What the hell is a Gorlok you ask? Who knows. (Actually it is a combination of two of the roads names on campus, which is even worse than not knowing.)

Henderson State Reddies!!! Another WTF mascot. What is a Reddie? Well it is a spirit. A spirit, what? Well the actual mascot is just a big dumb torch. Ta da.

And I can't say this is the absolute worst mascot but,

Campbell University is the Fighting Camels. Not too bad right? Hell camels are pretty cool, but their main guy that runs around at the games is Gaylord the Camel....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 03:42 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,885,515 times
GO UC SANTA BARBARA GAUCHOS!!! (Argentinian Cowboys...wtf?!)

Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,750,748 times
Delta State University has two: officially, "The Statesmen." Unofficially, "The Fighting Okra." I'm so glad I finished way before okra started walking!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM

5,654 posts, read 11,209,023 times
When visiting Columbia, SC on a business trip a few years ago, I noticed a some people walking around with T shirts and sweatshirts saying "Gamecocks". And then I learned the name of the U of SC team mascot. I can just imagine the slogans the opposing teams get to yell out when they play against U of SC.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
When visiting Columbia, SC on a business trip a few years ago, I noticed a some people walking around with T shirts and sweatshirts saying "Gamecocks". And then I learned the name of the U of SC team mascot. I can just imagine the slogans the opposing teams get to yell out when they play against U of SC.
Most of the baseball caps just say "*****" on them. Rowan University of NJ is the Professors, "Profs" for short. Hofstra was The Flying Dutchmen up until 3 years ago but due to pc (?) they became the Pride. IUPUFW is the Mastodons and UMKC are the Kangaroos. I'm a sports nut, so I like this kind of thing.

USD are the Fighting Sioux and are currently in litigation with the NCAA over the name, yet the NCAA has no problem with Florida State Seminoles. Go figure?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 AM

655 posts, read 2,175,530 times
The Tulane Green Wave.

It's like wtf. lol.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
The Tulane Green Wave.

It's like wtf. lol.
No different than the University of Alabama Crimson Tide.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM

721 posts, read 2,600,266 times
[quote=USD are the Fighting Sioux and are currently in litigation with the NCAA over the name, yet the NCAA has no problem with Florida State Seminoles. Go figure? [/quote]

It's not USD it is the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. The Sioux Indian Tribe has even given the University permission to use their name and the NCAA still is pressing the issue.

In Duluth, MN., the University of Minnesota Duluth are the Bulldogs, but their mascot is the "Maroon Loon". A loon is like a duck but a weird whistling/laughing noise instead of a quack.

It's a big maroon bird on skates. I have tried finding a photo, but unfortunately not one image or video on the net.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,137,552 times
my wife went to UMD and I knew the bulldogs, but was unaware of the Loon ............ i will have to tease her tonight

Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,848,103 times
TCU Horned Frogs.

More:

It strikes me as incongruous to have religious terms combined with the fighting spirit associated with competitive sports, as in Wake Forest's Demon Deacons. Ohio Wesleyan University is too small a college for its athletic teams to get national attention, but it has a similar sports nickname: Battling Bishops.

One that really seems weird to me is the nickname for the teams at Virginia Tech, the Hokies. A hokie is a castrated turkey. Who would ever dream up the idea of using that as a sports team name? Yikes!

Last edited by ogre; 10-31-2008 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.