Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,706,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Hmmm....

You must really hear a tidewater accent. Its actually the most aristocratic of southern, and it can be heard as far south as Charleston.

But the center point is Richmond (not really tidewater, but settled by the early settlers from tidewater). Oddly enough you can hear it in northern parts of the Shenandoah Valley because some planters from tidewater built some plantations in those areas when they were wearing out the soil from tobacco.

Pat Robertson has some features of the tidewater accent, although he was born and raised in Lexington.
Neat!
I've been to "Chaa'sun" and walked the Battery. I love the old pastel homes.

I've heard of Pat Robertson, but never heard him speak.

Which Lexington? There's one in KY, one in western NC, one in central SC; there's probably one in every southern state.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 AM

559 posts, read 2,110,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
And you didn't even answer the question I asked of you...Did you think I was being sarcastic toward you? I wasn't...and I didn't think you were preachy at all. I was serious when I thanked you for the clarification, and I asked the further question because I thought you sounded knowledgeable about it.
How kind of you! One worries when posting on these boards; we don't have the benefit of looking at each other when we talk, and so much is lost because of that. :-)

To answer your question, I would say "y'all's house" is perfectly alright; I would certainly say it, but I am not an English teacher. If we have any English teachers/professors out there who can answer the question, I invite them to do so please.

It is so nice to "talk" with other folks on this board, especially the posters from the South. DH will not consider moving to the South--now or ever--so this Southern lady is stuck up here, I'm afraid. The Lord must have a plan for me, so I'm going to try to find the good in being in the Pacific NW. But, oh, how I do miss the South!!

Y'all have a nice day tomorrow and a wonderful weekend!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Neat!
I've been to "Chaa'sun" and walked the Battery. I love the old pastel homes.

I've heard of Pat Robertson, but never heard him speak.

Which Lexington? There's one in KY, one in western NC, one in central SC; there's probably one in every southern state.
Honey, Lexington is right next to Columbia, the state capital.

Oh, I beg your pardon. He was born in Lexington, Virginia, I believe. Excuse my post above. I failed to read the posts before yours.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,706,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Honey, Lexington is right next to Columbia, the state capital.

Oh, I beg your pardon. He was born in Lexington, Virginia, I believe. Excuse my post above. I failed to read the posts before yours.
Are you orginally from SC? That's one of my most favorite vacation spots.

No problem.
I didn't know there was a Lexington, VA but as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Lexington in practically every state. There's probably a Lexington NY too.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,882,674 times
they have rednecks up North in the rural areas and working class areas of the cities. The call them woodchucks and white trash. It is sad they have to revert to name calling redneck, woodchuck, white trash, but I guess there is sin all over.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:03 AM

cold Canada, I too am from SC originally and live there part of the year and up north part of the year.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,679,510 times
Default Do I have an accent???

For some strange reason this computer is using an accent this morning. Is this because it is too far down South?? I don't see no red on its neck but there is a cord coming out the back. Sounds like it is from Georiga.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:38 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,569,485 times
Iam a redneck I like huntin fishin trucks etc but I live in Maine So it aint just a suthin thang

Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM

amen big chuckie, I am a redneck but I have an Ivy league degree and two masters, I am from SC, grew up there and florida, Mississippi and Texas and now live in a big Northerner city, and get this I am black American.

I hunt, fishing, drive a truck, listen to country music, get to the country every weekend, love chewing tobacco and my southern up bringing
so Redneck is now universal

Old 02-23-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Are you orginally from SC? That's one of my most favorite vacation spots.

No problem.
I didn't know there was a Lexington, VA but as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Lexington in practically every state. There's probably a Lexington NY too.
Actually, I'm originally from Washington State, which is where I now live with my DH, but I grew up from the time I was 7 in SC. Home is SC to me; my children, parents, and brothers are all in the South. You're right; it is a beautiful vacation spot.

Sigh...DH refuses to move there; his children are up here. One of those things I have to learn to live with, but I sure do hate the 9 months of dreary weather we have up here as well as the fact that nobody comes to see you. It's not bad; it's just different. A lot of what you love comes from how you were raised and what you like, I think. I love people, and I miss that up here. The people up here are lovely; they just don't come see to you. I work at home, which is even more difficult in that I don't ever see anybody. (Okay, enough whining now, back to work.) I have to keep myself going here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.