Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
And if Hillary had been the Dem. nominee and won the presidency, would you be as saddened by the inevitable headlines exclaiming "America's First Woman President"?
I would be disappointed if the focus was on her being a woman and president. Wow!

Consider this quote taken from this very thread.

Quote:
I'm glad that there is a multiracial president(i'm multiracial also)
Now lets change some things up.

Say McCain had won.

I'm glad that there is a white male president(i'm a white male also)

Or Clinton.

I'm glad that there is a female president(i'm female also)

or to put it more ridiculously

I'm glad that there is a president with a vagina (i have a vagina also)

It just seems silly to me.

I'm glad that there is a left-handed president(i'm left-handed also)

I'm glad that there is a skinny president(i'm skinny also)

I'm glad that there is an idiot president(i'm an idiot also)

Last edited by Lucidus; 11-05-2008 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Congratulations to Obama and the democrats on your big win.

I must say though that I am disappointed in the reactions to Obama's win. I naively believed that America had really gotten beyond race. Since yesterday however I seen people say how happy they that a black man won, not that they are happy that the man who they felt was the best candidate won. This demonstrates that people are as racist as ever. The only thing that has changed is the flavor of racism.
I agree with every single word you said. However, I didnt beleive that American had really gotten beyond race since I knew/know that many people's votes, which decided the election, was based on race. Nevertheless, that is a different issue and I digress.

But going with your comment...
I am very disappointed with people's reaction as well. People everywhere are saying how race was never a factor, yet are treating Obama's victory as if he just slayed racism with a shield and sword. They are jubilant, and partying, and crying, and caused a nightmare on the city streets. But this is not because the "best" person won, but rather that history was made in that an African American was elected president. While this is a historic moment, that's not a good reason to elect someone to be running our country.

Last edited by wesside; 11-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-06-2008, 12:45 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Quote:
Or Clinton.

That seems silly to me too.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:53 AM

46 posts, read 209,546 times
You know, TheWereRabbit, if you want to have an argument you need to learn how to do it properly. All you seem capable of doing are Ad Hominems, personal attacks that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand. You liberals know how to dish out criticism about discrimination and equality, but you certainly don't know how to listen to the other side of the issues. It's because you're so closed-minded that you won't even listen to the other side. You and your kind, who claim to be open-minded, engage in some of the most blatant double-standards I have ever witnessed. Apparently, you seem to think that YOU have the right to make your beliefs publicly known, but when the opposition tries to do the same it suddenly becomes "unconstitutional, politically incorrect, and bigotry." Liberals CLAIM to stand for equality, but in reality only those who are in agreement with popular opinion have rights, while those who are not are oppressed.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 AM

893 posts, read 2,863,788 times
Quote:
I would be disappointed if the focus was on her being a woman and president. Wow!

Consider this quote taken from this very thread.

Now lets change some things up.

Say McCain had won.

I'm glad that there is a white male president(i'm a white male also)

Or Clinton.

I'm glad that there is a left-handed president(i'm left-handed also)

I'm glad that there is a skinny president(i'm skinny also)

I'm glad that there is an idiot president(i'm an idiot also)
Yeah, I guess it is silly. I'm not even white and black. But yeah race shouldn't have been an issue.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
The ball is now in your court...

Old 11-06-2008, 05:46 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I agree with every single word you said. However, I didnt beleive that American had really gotten beyond race since I knew/know that many people's votes, which decided the election, was based on race. Nevertheless, that is a different issue and I digress.

But going with your comment...
I am very disappointed with people's reaction as well. People everywhere are saying how race was never a factor, yet are treating Obama's victory as if he just slayed racism with a shield and sword. They are jubilant, and partying, and crying, and caused a nightmare on the city streets. But this is not because the "best" person won, but rather that history was made in that an African American was elected president. While this is a historic moment, that's not a good reason to elect someone to be running our country.
i think some of you need to read this thread on the NYC board. color is alive and well in 2008.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-mixing-3.html

Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Obama certainly ran the best campaign. That suggests that he will bring those organizational and inspirational skills to the government. I voted for McCain on the "Devil we know" principle, but I am not distraught that Obama won and he may well turn out to be an excellent president. I will pray for him and for our nation in these trying times.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:43 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,859 times
you can't right off obama as a bad president yet. he hasn't done anything in office yet. who knows, he may surprise you.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
you can't right off obama as a bad president yet. he hasn't done anything in office yet. who knows, he may surprise you.
agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.