Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

Can any of them get a job to supplament the $16k income that only one person is bringing? That is not a fun life to be living in such poverty as that. I dont want to share my future house with anyone. Will $24k a year be enough for me to support myself and have my own $50k house in the northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Can any of them get a job to supplament the $16k income that only one person is bringing? That is not a fun life to be living in such poverty as that. I dont want to share my future house with anyone. Will $24k a year be enough for me to support myself and have my own $50k house in the northeast?
Well thats the plan. But my second oldest daughter isnt in preschool until next year. The youngest just turned one. It all revolves around the girls. Thats what makes moving anywhere or working two jobs very difficult. Daycare would easily take up the next income and more. I guess once the youngest can go to preschool things might change. It was my irresponsibilty, but I love them. Though its very oppressive. We're fine and have everything we need right now. Its just getting tiresome and looking at real estate prices is like a nightmare.

Im not sure about the prices you're looking for. But I hear you through and through. I dont think any places like that exist. I have thought countless times at night about how to make revolutionary housing thats more efficient, stronger, available to anyone with any job, and for much, much, much cheaper. I dont think its right that a person should have to work their entire life to pay off a home with the technology we have today and in this age. When its actual labor worth is nowhere near an entire life worth of work. Ill probably be thinking about it for the rest of my life.

There are all kinds of unique home ideas(a-frames, adobi bricks, wattle and daub, earthen exct), but none ever pan out to be broad solutions for some reason. People always end up needing the big banks and atleast 50k. If you try to homestead anymore between building codes, zoning laws, jobs and schools its really tough to do.

Always loved when my uncle would tell me stories at work about how he bought a new corvette for $4k, and bought a new home for his family on his salary alone when he returned from Vietnam.

Nasa has some cool fabrics and foams and stuff that could be used for housing. My newest idea was something like combing a connetix like set of building tools and using some type of foam(something like the foam you would seal an ac unit in a wall with) that you spray on that dries very quickly. If a mistake was made you could find something that would disolve the material rapidly to correct the error. Pull a big fully loaded truck up for $500, get some ladders and the family. Start spraying your home to your shape and size. Molding it along the way like a clay artist would. Add a special fabric on the outside to proof it, and spray a permanent foam on when it sets. Use flex tubing for plumbing and stuff like that. Afrter its all said and done it would be structurally stronger than concrete homes and insulated without the insulation. Use temporary cut out shapes or soemthing like that to leave holes for doors and windows exct. No need for much outside help, roofing, siding, plumbing exct. The expenses would and up finishing the interior. A dream to build custom, quality housing for 15k. Even then if it were possible land prices would just go up or you will still have to pay thousands for land in a developed or halfway decent location.

Or something like that.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Good ideas! I also read about growing your own house. Seriously! Ill have to find the article but it says something about using a tree and vines then living inside it!

Mobile homes will always be an affordable solution as long as you can get the land cheap which is possible in most states, including Florida. If hurricanes are a worry, you could tie down your mobile home with cables and evacuate each time a cane comes. If it gets destroyed, its inexpensive to replace. Or maybe live somewhere like Tennessee, I see mobile homes on their own land(no park to pay lot rental fees) for $20k to $50k which should be affordable to almost everyone.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
You can find run down trailers for 10k on a lot. The thing is where are you going to get a job? Where are your kids going to go to school? Can you get power and water? What about septic or sewage? There are a lot of other things that factor into it. Now if you wanted to be a hermit and go it alone you wouldnt have as much to worry about. Heck you could live in a tent or a makeshift shelter. Or cut down trees and build your own little shanty. But its not ________.(I try not to ever say that "p" word)

That's funny you said growing a house. Lately one of the biggest things on my mind has been wether it would be possible to make plants grow at super fast rates. Kinda like the jack and the bean stalk story.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:13 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
I ask this because im curious and also I know some rich friends making $100k a year or even more! Also maybe ill win the lottery or score really big with my home internet business and make big money from it

If Florida does away with property taxes, I can see it being a good place for the rich. They can afford those nice $250k plus houses and save many thousands a year on property taxes. Add to the fact theres no state income tax to suck thousands off their huge incomes. Wont benefit the poor and middle class who cant afford a house anyway.

Im seeing lots of rich people choose Texas and they are spending big money on really nice big houses, like a quarter million for those huge 4000-5000 total square feet 5 to 7 bedroom houses! Add to the fact theres no state income tax and Texas is working on reducing prop tax and its an attractive option to live in style.

California is popular but prices are so high only the super, super rich can afford a proper house. State income tax is like 8% or even more! Those prices will you!!!

Im seeing some people retire in the midwest and buy acres of land and a huge house for big money.

I am not sure if Oil city will be the best choice if someone I knew or I became rich. What would be a really great and desirable location where you can get a nice big house with a spacious lot for $200k, $250k, $333k or even $500k? Instead of $50k in Oil city, youd be paying several times more for a location that is popular with rich people?
Who in the world would want to live next to "rich people"? lol. No thanks.

If I hit the powerball tomorrow, I would buy 50 or 100 acres in Colorado somewhere. Something high up with a nice view. Then I'd fence it all in, electrify the fence, and fill the yard with 8 dobermans. Who in the world would WANT to live next to "rich people"? Yikes, I couldn't take it. I have to admit that "rich people" are better as neighbors than upper middle-class though. All they want to do is keep up with each other and obtain more status symbols than Mr. Jones next door. Still, I'd rather be in the woods.

Yikes, "rich people". {shivers}

-TT

Old 02-23-2007, 08:16 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
what is wrong with living next to rich people? have you ever before and what was wrong with it? what do they do that poor people dont do? And should others hate poor people for the same reason you hate rich people?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:21 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I live next to some very nice rich people. They live in restored bathhouse on a double lot (standard lots are 25x125) with beautiful gardens. On day the woman who lived there saw me peeking through the fence at her garden and invited me in to see it, and we had a lovely talk about the neighborhood and how she ended up with such a unique piece of property.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
i am glad i dont look down on people who are poor and would live next to them with no problem. them being poor doesnt mean they are bad people, anymore than my family having money makes me bad people. We care for our families, our property and our community just like the poor and middle classes do.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:19 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Welfare is not a bad word

Quote:
I dont want to share my future house with anyone. Will $24k a year be enough for me to support myself and have my own $50k house in the northeast?
Naw, you are off the farm again. Slack off and only make ~$16K, that should qualify you for all sorts of welfare, things like help with utilities, free food, free all kinds of things, including a lawyer. That is usually the earning limit for a single person, something in that neighborhood. Remember it is all about what Big Brother can find on paper. What has your daddy been teaching you???

Then learn how to talk a good game. Living next to rich people isn't that bad. Some might put a Jesus statute on the lawn but learn to humor them a bit. Take lessons how to go to the bank more often than you need too.

First you got to get that car, worry about your neighbors after all the other ducks are in line.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:34 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i am glad i dont look down on people who are poor and would live next to them with no problem. them being poor doesnt mean they are bad people, anymore than my family having money makes me bad people. We care for our families, our property and our community just like the poor and middle classes do.
Oh no I wouldn't be so ignorant as to say "rich people" are "bad". However, I do think that many are out of touch with society. It's a personal preference. I find myself more at home with the "Joe Six-pack" crowd, but would still rather live in an "ivory tower" lol. Peace and quiet are two valuable commodities that aren't traded on any exchange, but if I ever had the cheddar, that's what I would invest in

-TT

Last edited by YapCity; 02-23-2007 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.