Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 AM

127 posts, read 378,257 times

Advertisements

I vote for PA, Ohio and Louisiana. They shine! Friendly and down to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,970 times
I find people to be friendly in states where I start with being friendly myself...you reap what you sow...

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
south carolina, georgia, Texas, north carolina, upstate new york, virginia, mississippi, Iowa,

Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
You can't really rule out any state, because all states have friendly people, some more than others!

But if i had to vote i'd vote for NC.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I second Pennsylvania's vote. It's wonderful to be standing in line at the local Best Buy or waiting while pumping your gas and having the time whizz by because you've been in constant conversation with complete strangers. I often tell people that Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is like a "big small town", and this really proves my point!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
I find Minnesota to be very friendly and genuine. St. Paul is incredible.
When I first was looking at moving to Minnesota and was looking for a motel in the Twin Cities (on my way to Moorhead) I was walking down the street lost (I had a bus stop-over for the night) and these two women were out and I asked them for directions. They said "will get our keys and drive you to the motel" even being from Denver which is considered very friendly I was shocked.

I also find St. Cloud, Minnesota to have amazingly friendly people.

St. Cloud and St. Paul are friendly and incredible places and they sure have a strong sense of community.

Denver is very friendly, but people from other areas tend to think of friends in Denver not as close knit as other cities. Denver has very friendly bus drivers also, its amazing how if somebody who is older needs help with their groceries how they immediately get assistance from the bus drivers. Colorado Springs is fairly friendly, but not as much as Denver and its more plastic at times but the people are very polite.

Another nice city is Indianapolis. Hoosiers are very friendly people, its too bad the city 100 miles south in Kentucky doesnt value the same hospitality.
I find Indianapolis to be the least pretentious place I have ever been, not even the slightest hint of a "were better then you atttiude"

Last edited by MattDen; 02-22-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I vote for the midwest in general. A few years back, my husband and I took a cross country roadtrip and camped for most of it. Being in the midwest was a completely different experience than being on the east or west coasts. In the midwest, campers would come up to you and talk to you. Shoppers in stores would strike up a conversation. People would wave when we took a walk down the road. Waitresses were more chatty. If we asked someone a question, we would get a long, detailed answer. It blew us away! We went to a KC Chiefs football game this past fall and the people next to us talked to us, and we talked to the people in line at the concession stand. If I went to a Philly's baseball game and struck up a conversation with a random stranger, the stranger would most likely either look at me in disgust, or think I was flirting! lol

Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
NE Alabama...small towns. People wave at you on the road whether they know you or not. Close by cities with everything most might need. Nice thing...people are willing to help neighbors. "Look out" for each other but not oppressive. Temperate climate. Lot of sunshine, trees. Typical small brick house with pond, 400+ trees: $65.000. Land: 6 acre lots in country subdivision on hill facing west with unobstructed view of mountains: $45,000.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I've met friendly people everywhere.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
There are a lot of friendly people everywhere. But some that come to mind are NC, SC, PA, TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.