Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times

Advertisements

I guess we can then say that the 1023' Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta is outside of Downtown, in between Downtown and Midtown (center, tallest):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameliaps/271957544/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,651,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
a CBD doesn't have anything to do with financial district, it stands for central business district, John Hancock may be outside the loop but it is still in a CBD, just a different one.

If you say John Hancock is outside a CBD then you'd have to say the Freedom Tower is outside a CBD because it's not in Midtown Manhattan.
Actually, Downtown Manhattan is defined as the the Financial District or the CBD, so it would be the Empire State building thats the tallest out of a Downtown (technically speaking.)

Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 AM

481 posts, read 2,813,242 times
No one considers Downtown "the" CBD, downtown and midtown are both considered the Manhattan CBD's, and Midtown is by far the larger of the two.

Either way, I wouldn't consider any of the major NY or Chicago skyscrapers "outside a CBD."

Even though Century City (LA), Uptown (Houston), and Buckhead (Atlanta) are CBD's and within their city limits, they are small enough (relatively speaking, though they are all larger than most medium sized city CBD's) that I guess you could consider those buildings "outside a CBD" but personally I think that is really stretching it. I mean Buckhead has a GDP of $72 billion which is more than many countries.

But if you count those, Century City has one around 500 ft, Uptown Houston's got one at 900 ft, and Buckhead has one at 660 ft.

If you consider "outside a CBD" to at least be outside city limits, then the 570 ft. King and Queen in suburban Atlanta would be the tallest, though it is still located in the Perimeter CBD which, even though it is a suburban CBD, still contains more office space than each of Atlanta's three urban CBD's (Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead).

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,871,660 times
How about you change the question to "What is the tallest suburban high rise in your city". No midtown, CBD, Financial bla bla.... just suburban?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Well in that case the #1 and #2 spots go to the 570 ft. King and Queen Towers in Sandy Springs, a suburb of Atlanta, like I said.

Other tall suburban buildings include the 450 ft. Lincoln Tower in Bellevue, a suburb of Seattle, and the 444 ft. Ravinia in Dunwoody, another suburb of Atlanta, and some 550 ft. tall condos in Sunny Isles Beach, a suburb of Miami.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 115,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
a CBD doesn't have anything to do with financial district, it stands for central business district, John Hancock may be outside the loop but it is still in a CBD, just a different one.

If you say John Hancock is outside a CBD then you'd have to say the Freedom Tower is outside a CBD because it's not in Midtown Manhattan.
How is Streeterville a CBD? Because it has tall buildings? That doesnt make it a CBD. Streeterville doesnt even function like the Loop. Streeterville will never be and isnt trying to be the Loop/CBD. Streeterville does its own thing, which is shopping, entertainment, and living. The Loop's main focus is to draws money through traditional finance, banking, and investing. Streeterville's main focus is to make money by emptying your pockets and selling you a bunch of ***** you dont need.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeBitches View Post
How is Streeterville a CBD? Because it has tall buildings? That doesnt make it a CBD. Streeterville doesnt even function like the Loop. Streeterville will never be and isnt trying to be the Loop/CBD. Streeterville does its own thing, which is shopping, entertainment, and living. The Loop's main focus is to draws money through traditional finance, banking, and investing. Streeterville's main focus is to make money by emptying your pockets and selling you a bunch of ***** you dont need.
I think you are confusing the words "financial" and "business"

Shopping and entertainment are all businesses.

Every city has its shopping and entertainment districts, and if they are large, high-density, and contain towers then yeah, they are CBD's. Midtown Atlanta is an arts and entertainment district, with high rise hotels, museums, etc. but it's still a CBD.

And there is an office market in Streeterville.... I mean come on it's home to the John Hancock Center one of the largest, most famous, office towers in the world. Yeah there are condoes but there are also offices in there.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM

7,049 posts, read 19,200,955 times
I've seen different definitions of NYC's CBD. Some definitions separate Lower Manhattan from Midtown. Others include Lower Manhattan, Midtown, and everything in-between as the CBD. If we get off the island of Manhattan altogether, I believe the tallest building in an outer borough is the Citigroup Building in Queens:

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,709,992 times

cityplex tower in tulsa is outside its cbd/downtown and at 647.97ft

the citigroup buidling is a little bigger at 657.8100000000001ft though

Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,977,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post

cityplex tower in tulsa is outside its cbd/downtown and at 647.97ft

the citigroup buidling is a little bigger at 657.8100000000001ft though
That's the most hideous building I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.