Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Like there are good cities in other states (NY has NYC, Seattle in Washington, Chicago in Illinois in FL, Atlanta in GA) but no other STATES as a whole are like their own little countries with huge economies and lots of big cities/metros.

Why is this?
US States with at least five 200k+ cities:

1.California (18):
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
San Jose
Fresno
Sacramento
Long Beach
Oakland
Bakersfield
Anaheim
Santa Ana
Riverside
Stockton
Chula Vista
Fremont
Irvine
San Bernardino
Modesto

2.Texas (13):
Houston
Dallas
San Antonio
Austin
Forth Worth
El Paso
Arlington
Corpus Christi
Plano
Laredo
Lubbock
Garland
Irving

3.Florida (8):
Jacksonville
Miami
Tampa
St.Petersburg
Orlando
Hialeah
Tallahassee
Fort Lauderdale

4.Arizona (7):
Phoenix
Tucson
Mesa
Chandler
Glendale
Scottsdale
Gilbert

5.North Carolina (6):
Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Winston-Salem
Durham
Fayetteville

6.Ohio (5):
Columbus
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Toledo
Akron

7.Virginia (5):
Virginia Beach
Norfolk
Richmond
Chesapeake
Arlington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
In addition to the states & cities that Davy ^ mentioned, I would add that some states use other names beside "cities".

In New York State for instance, if you only count "cities" then our second biggest city of Buffalo drops down to only 260,000 after the huge 8 million+ in the 5 boroughs of NYC. But Buffalo is not the second largest government in New York after the 5 boroughs. Its the Town of Hempstead with 750,000, followed by Brookhaven with 490,000 and Islip with 335,000. And the Towns of Oyster Bay, North Hempstead, Huntington and Babylon all have populations in the 200,000 range.

My point is that you cannot say that New York or other similar states are not important because their populations are wrapped up in only one or two city limits. In New York, the majority of New Yorkers live outside New York City and there are numerous other population centers besides NYC.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM

92,032 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
In addition to the states & cities that Davy ^ mentioned, I would add that some states use other names beside "cities".

In New York State for instance, if you only count "cities" then our second biggest city of Buffalo drops down to only 260,000 after the huge 8 million+ in the 5 boroughs of NYC. But Buffalo is not the second largest government in New York after the 5 boroughs. Its the Town of Hempstead with 750,000, followed by Brookhaven with 490,000 and Islip with 335,000. And the Towns of Oyster Bay, North Hempstead, Huntington and Babylon all have populations in the 200,000 range.

My point is that you cannot say that New York or other similar states are not important because their populations are wrapped up in only one or two city limits. In New York, the majority of New Yorkers live outside New York City and there are numerous other population centers besides NYC.
Exactly and there are some towns in Upstate NY that are over or close to 100,000 like Amherst, Cheektowaga, Greece and Colonie.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:33 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Maybe because you could fit
150 Rhode Islands
or 50 Conn.'s
or 20 Massachusetts
in California

and in Texas you could fit
260 Rhode Islands
or 85 Conn.'s
or 30 Massachusettses

Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,772,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Maybe because you could fit
150 Rhode Islands
or 50 Conn.'s
or 20 Massachusetts
in California

and in Texas you could fit
260 Rhode Islands
or 85 Conn.'s
or 30 Massachusettses
those little states in the North east needs to consolidate especially those in New England.. Most metros are bigger than Rhode Island (LA's CSA is 30 times the size of RI).

Even in NE the oddities are mind boggling. Boston has more people in its CSA than its home state. New York's 12,000 square mile CSA has more people than New York state. Baltimore-Wash CSA has more people than the State of Maryland.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
those little states in the North east needs to consolidate especially those in New England.. Most metros are bigger than Rhode Island (LA's CSA is 30 times the size of RI).
And yet of the 5 least populated states, only one is in the New England:

50. Wyoming
49. Vermont
48. North Dakota
47. Alaska
46. South Dakota

Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,784,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Texas is of course growing. With the second highest population, it should reasonably have the second largest economy. But stats show it is only doing mediocre job at employing its citizens when compared against other states - somewhere in the middle. Some may consider this an economic miracle. I don't.

As for Governor Hair, my comment was offered only because of his repeated touting of the robust economy of Texas during his failed campaign. I suspected you personally were not too keen on the idea of his presidency. Can you guys now do something to send him packing from Austin?

As to your last statement, I would take it as step further: The US would be worse culturally and economically without Texas. I'm not a Texas basher - just pointing out some facts.
There are several Conservative Republicans even who hate him.

Not too long ago, this state was on track to have its own highway system with personal lanes for large trucks and high speed rail. That sounded good (still does) but there was one problem.... it would cut though a lot of privately owned land. This would have been a problem, but it was stopped thanks to protests.

He's not exactly a darling here, like the media portrays. But it's just like with Bush in '04. Everyone disliked him but apparently not enough to boot em out.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
And yet of the 5 least populated states, only one is in the New England:

50. Wyoming
49. Vermont
48. North Dakota
47. Alaska
46. South Dakota
that has nothing to do my point tho.

What am I not seeing in your response?

My post has nothing to do with consolidating due to small population size, infact it is the opposite. Those areas have sprawled clear out of the city, clear out of the counties, clear out of state boundaries into other states. Fact of the matter is those NE states are too darn small in land area

what the does the least populous states add to that?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,187,767 times
Quote:
that has nothing to do my point tho.

What am I not seeing in your response?

My post has nothing to do with consolidating due to small population size, infact it is the opposite. Those areas have sprawled clear out of the city, clear out of the counties, clear out of state boundaries into other states. Fact of the matter is those NE states are too darn small in land area
So you want to re-draw lines because metros now sprawl across state lines? Why start (and stop) with NE? Let's throw in NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, KC, St Louis, Cincy, Omaha, Louisville . . .

On the other hand, let's say your rationale is that these NE states are just "too darn small in land area" to justify being unique states. For the sake of argument, one could make a case that smaller states make more sense, as they are more likely contain a like-minded populous. It might therefore make greater sense to split these hulking land mass states into more manageable sizes. Looking at Texas for example: We've got pick-up drivers from Vidor, colonia dwellers from the Valley, hair dressers from Dallas and high plains drifters from Dumas all begin governed out of Austin - hundreds of miles and a cultural world away.

Sorry, your pitch that small states be consolidated isn't going any further than my modest proposal that the large states be split up into smaller parcels. Perhaps someone else will engage with you on it if you wanna keep going, however.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
So you want to re-draw lines because metros now sprawl across state lines? Why start (and stop) with NE? Let's throw in NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, KC, St Louis, Cincy, Omaha, Louisville . . .

On the other hand, let's say your rationale is that these NE states are just "too darn small in land area" to justify being unique states. For the sake of argument, one could make a case that smaller states make more sense, as they are more likely contain a like-minded populous. It might therefore make greater sense to split these hulking land mass states into more manageable sizes. Looking at Texas for example: We've got pick-up drivers from Vidor, colonia dwellers from the Valley, hair dressers from Dallas and high plains drifters from Dumas all begin governed out of Austin - hundreds of miles and a cultural world away.

Sorry, your pitch that small states be consolidated isn't going any further than my modest proposal that the large states be split up into smaller parcels. Perhaps someone else will engage with you on it if you wanna keep going, however.
sorry but you are talking nonsense now. Not really worth engaging. Read back my first post so you can erase all that silly talk about uniqueness that you are putting in my mouth.

This is all I said:
Quote:

Even in NE the oddities are mind boggling. Boston has more people in its CSA than its home state. New York's 12,000 square mile CSA has more people than New York state. Baltimore-Wash CSA has more people than the State of Maryland.
nothing to get the panties in a twist over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.