Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:31 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times

Advertisements

Why are Texas and California the only important states?

Simple answer. They are not the only important states. Whatever gave you this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
not to mention the only reason CT, and RI exist is because they didn't like Massachusetts and Massachusetts didn't like them.
Historically, in addition to Rhode Island and Connecticut, I would add New Hampshire and Maine to the states that did not like Massachusetts.

But I never heard anything bad about Massachusetts from Vermont. Vermont's venom was against those bad "Yorkers" from New York.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
those little states in the North east needs to consolidate especially those in New England.. Most metros are bigger than Rhode Island (LA's CSA is 30 times the size of RI).

Even in NE the oddities are mind boggling. Boston has more people in its CSA than its home state. New York's 12,000 square mile CSA has more people than New York state. Baltimore-Wash CSA has more people than the State of Maryland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that has nothing to do my point tho.

What am I not seeing in your response?

My post has nothing to do with consolidating due to small population size, infact it is the opposite. Those areas have sprawled clear out of the city, clear out of the counties, clear out of state boundaries into other states. Fact of the matter is those NE states are too darn small in land area
I think you are seeing this as a Texan.

In Texas, you have the 4 largest cities/metros or so that are mostly in the interior of their own state. Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio etc are away from the state's immediate boundaries. This is a good thing! Texas can do its own planning and it largest cities are not affected by the actions of other states, at least not as much.

However, some of your cites ARE on the state borders, cities like Brownsville, El Paso, Laredo, Texarkana and Beaumont. It just so happens that these cities are not as large as some of the others.

So my question to you HTown is this, suppose that instead of Houston, it was Beaumont that became the 4th largest city in the United States. And so today Beaumont would be "sprawled clear out of the city, clear out of the counties, clear out of state boundaries into other states (namely Louisiana). So in that case, would you think that Texas and Louisiana should be joined despite their long history and unique traditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.