Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:24 PM

521 posts, read 1,623,805 times

Advertisements

Like, OH MY GOD EVERYBODY...why is California and Texas like the greatest states in the history of mankind? Really, people, I want to know why.

And please disregard the fact that my name is txguy2009. I am being completely unbiased and can assure you that the fact that I live in Texas has no bearing at all why I left out other important states such as New York, Florida, Massachusetts, Ohio, Illinois. My unbiased belief that TX and CA (which btw TX>CA) has been completely thought over, researched, tested, and concluded that they are indeed the greatest in history. Thus Im really hoping that after pages of insults and stereotypes, we can all reach the conclusion, by listing every single economic and cultural resource each state has that makes them the greatest.
(BTW, my weeks of mind numbing, yet highly documented and recorded research have concluded that indeed CA and TX are the two most populous states. Thus asserting my conclusion that they are the greatest. I will be publishing my works in a scientific/social journal that has received numerous peer review and acceptance).

Please convince me otherwise. Im dying to know. And please, feel free to begin bashing on each other's states, even though you've never set foot therein, and throw in some stereotypes for good measure. Make sure to pay extra attention to CA and TX people who have very compelling arguments because, we all know mankind has already awarded these two states the "Greatest Ever" Award.

....I am dying to know!

Last edited by wesside; 11-16-2008 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,626,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Like, OH MY GOD EVERYBODY...why is California and Texas like the greatest states in the history of mankind? Really, people, I want to know why.
No, you don't want to know why. This is clearly an irritating waste of our time, which for a leisurely hobby says a lot.

Go away.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Why, because I like to know I'm safe when on vacation? Stupid me!

You must have a sweet spot for Mexico or something, I don't think their domestic issues are any secret to the general public.
Yeah, I do happen to have a soft spot for the the Country, its people and its culture. I guess 20+ trips during the last 5 years will do that.

Just think about what outsiders must think of the States, if the only thing they know is what they see in the media. I would probably be scared to death to come here.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, I do happen to have a soft spot for the the Country, its people and its culture. I guess 20+ trips during the last 5 years will do that.

Just think about what outsiders must think of the States, if the only thing they know is what they see in the media. I would probably be scared to death to come here.
John, I've been to Mexico 6 times, in tourist areas and not in tourist areas. A buddy of mine has family who live in Monterey and we've visited them several times. There hasn't been a time I have been there that I haven't had a run-in with law enforcement for no apparent reason. They will intimidate you and make false accusations only to get what American dollars you have in your pocket at that time.

It truly is that corrupt. The people and culture are great for the most part, but 3rd world is 3rd world.

It also doesn't help the drug industry in Mexico is prevailing over the government. The Mexican side of the border is one of the roughest areas on Earth and you and I both know it.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I know you are being funny, but you're funny wrong. It doesn't matter where one is born; it matters where they're raised.
This is true. I was born in Michigan, but lived there all of 8 years. I was raised elsewhere, and have never, EVER, referred to myself as being from Michigan.

My best friend moved to Gaithersburg, MD on temporary work assignment and had a kid. That kid lived in Maryland all of 9 months. I doubt very much that this kid will say she is from Maryland in 30 years.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,424,325 times
There are a lot of "important" states besides TX and CA, those two just are the biggest.

NY is a very important state with NYC. States like OH, PA, FL, and VA are very important swing states in presidential elections. Just b/c other states may not be as big doesn't mean they are not important at all.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
John, I've been to Mexico 6 times, in tourist areas and not in tourist areas. A buddy of mine has family who live in Monterey and we've visited them several times. There hasn't been a time I have been there that I haven't had a run-in with law enforcement for no apparent reason. They will intimidate you and make false accusations only to get what American dollars you have in your pocket at that time.

It truly is that corrupt. The people and culture are great for the most part, but 3rd world is 3rd world.

It also doesn't help the drug industry in Mexico is prevailing over the government. The Mexican side of the border is one of the roughest areas on Earth and you and I both know it.

I am truly sorry you have had to deal with that. In my many trips, the only interaction I had with the police when I asked some Federales w/machine guns to let me take their pic on the beach (it was my first trip).

I have never been to Monterey. All of my time is spent in Quantana Roo, and I must say I have NEVER seen or been subjected to anything even remotely like what you have. It is very sad what is going on down there, but your blanket statement about a hellhole really got to me.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,957,268 times
This is just another thread created so everyone can argue like a bunch of animals...California and Texas are not the "Most Improtant", sooooo honestly who cares..sure they have the most.. but that doesnt make em any better or important than the other 48 states.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,323,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Like there are good cities in other states (NY has NYC, Seattle in Washington, Chicago in Illinois in FL, Atlanta in GA) but no other STATES as a whole are like their own little countries with huge economies and lots of big cities/metros.

Why is this?
From your more recent posts, I'm just wondering if you have now changed your mind about your statement?

Honestly, Texas and California are two very important state in the Union, but they need the rest of us in today's world. Don't think either one would make it on their own anymore. The economy in Texas is very good right now, but Cali has been out of $$ since Oct. and are working with the Federal Govt. to get funding in order to keep going. That doesn't sound like a self-sustaining country to me.

I'm always puzzled by the threads that try to tear our states apart.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
This is just another thread created so everyone can argue like a bunch of animals...California and Texas are not the "Most Improtant", sooooo honestly who cares..sure they have the most.. but that doesnt make em any better or important than the other 48 states.

Thank you!

I'm from New York, which is apparently one of those other 48, unimportant states. And the funny thing is, we've got exactly the same number of Senators as those two important states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.