Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
West Coast 71 49.31%
East Coast 73 50.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Am I correct in saying that the general perception is that the west coast is this spacious laid back place with all kinds of picturesque elbow room and the east coast is densely packed gridlock where everyone is living on top of each other?

I think the perceptions are completely backwards from reality.

The big cities of the east coast are unbelievably urban there is no denying that but the cities are usually a 1/4 of the overall metropolitan region. Conversely, on the west coast livable land area is fairly sparce resulting in very densely populated living arrangements.Mountains, desert, ocean with people crammed in wherever they can.

Everyone tends to believe Philaldephia is this urban jungle but 3 out of 4 people who work,play, go to school in the Philadlephia region live in beautiful countryside communities. Ditto NYC,Bos,Bal,Wash.

West coasters you have to get over this notion that the east coast is dirty, filthy and rude. Thats simply not the case.

Orange County Ca.

Philadelphia metro with Center City way off in the distance.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Am I correct in saying that the general perception is that the west coast is this spacious laid back place with all kinds of picturesque elbow room and the east coast is densely packed gridlock where everyone is living on top of each other?
No, don't take what one or two posters say and apply it to an entire coast.
Quote:
I think the perceptions are completely backwards from reality.
Could easily say the same thing about SOME east coasters.

Quote:
West coasters you have to get over this notion that the east coast is dirty, filthy and rude. Thats simply not the case.
And east coasters have to get over this notion that the west coast is nothing but suburbs, we sit in traffic 24/7, idolize Hollywood, and are fake.

Same difference there pal....

Old 11-19-2008, 06:11 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Futcha, stop arguing with EVERYONE. JetJockey made some good points and ifeeldope made some good points too....for YOUR side of the argument.

You are making the east coast look like a bunch of self-righteous meatheads.

You contridict yourself CONSTANTLY. You brag about NYC having MTV and then complain about their reality tv and brag about having HBO and then say you hate movies. (note: I think reality tv is dumb too but honestly who hates MOVIES?). Don't be afraid to admit that New York isn't the garden of eden. Yes, probably the most important city in the new world, but like everywhere there are things wrong with it. Aaaaaaaand the whole "tough" thing. You are the only one here trying to be tough. Machineknownaslosangeles is an ******* but they aren't trying to be tough, theyre just trying to rep LA obnoxiously. YOU are trying to be tough. I don't know whether you just watched a "gangbanging movie" or what your excuse is but you are from westchester and being from a metro area of 18 million people that has organized crime is not worth bragging about.

As I said before, you are making the east coast look bad.
I'm not bragging about MTV or HBO, I'm stating the fact to shove the facts back down MachineKnownAsLosAngeles' throat. I don't watch MTV or HBO so I have nothing to brag about. I'm making the East Coast look bad? Who gives a ****. Who the **** are you to preach to me?

PS The metro area is about 22 million. Get it right before you come here and talk down to me.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
And also, Futcha, you make people NOT like the East Coast with your boisterous and obnoxious personality. All other posters are good at convincing me that the East Coast is fantastic, but your personality completely turns me off. If you want people to respect your posts, don't be so brutal, stop criticizing everything outside of NYC, stop contradicting yourself, and mostly, RESPECT OTHER PEOPLES' OPINIONS!!!!!!!!
Boohoo. I don't even know you why should I give two ****s about how you feel?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Boohoo. I don't even know you why should I give two ****s about how you feel?
Why do you blatantly disregard civility and favor crudeness?

Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM

217 posts, read 292,334 times
Who gives a **** about NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ****ing tired of hearing about New York, especially from YOU!!!!!!!!!! FUTCHAwhatever your ****ing name is!!! Just stop it its bad enough we have to hear the word NEW YORK everyday in our media, but you take it just too far, enough enough so SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i COULD CARE LESS ABOUT NEW **** so please shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
Who gives a **** about NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!! I am so ****ing tired of hearing about New York, especially from YOU!!!!!!!!!! FUTCHAwhatever your ****ing name is!!! Just stop it its bad enough we have to hear the word NEW YORK everyday in our media, but you take it just too far, enough enough so SHUT THE **** UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i COULD CARE LESS ABOUT NEW **** so please shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You just successfully lowered yourself to Futcha's level. How can you get this angry? This isn't even a face to face confrontation; its just an Internet forum.

Calm down people...

Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

217 posts, read 292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
You just successfully lowered yourself to Futcha's level. How can you get this angry? This isn't even a face to face confrontation; its just an Internet forum.

Calm down people...

I know I got carried away, I am just sick and tired of hearing (I mean reading) this guy. It's always New York 'this' and New York 'that', It's just stupid and I want it to stop. Take your New York propaganda selfin' ass off this forum and just go somewhere besides new York and see the freakin' world for Gods sake.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sheesh. I guess it's pointless. I said I don't like LA and rarely go there, then you insinuate that I'm from there... and sweetheart, you think the east coast is tough? Try Russia. I've been in St. Petersburg in the dead of winter and trust me, New York is NOTHING compared to that kind of cold. And smiling while arguing? Not argument, healthy debate with respect. I guess it's a west coast thing
Typical. New York is just NYC! Try Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Plattsburgh, Rochester, Syracuse. You want cold? Try Buffalo in January subzero temps with 50 mph winds off Lake Erie. Rochester with 50 mph winds and subzero temps coming from Canada over Lake Ontario.

I've spent time in them all. Froze my ass off the first couple days until I met a guy who taught me a lesson on how to "fight the cold."

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
Welcome to the club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.