Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,208 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we've all heard of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, well here's a chance to play that game with yourself as the main character. Follow the link provided below, which takes you to Google Maps. Now you must find yourself in the city of Knoxville by typing in an address where you think you might have been when these pictures for the mapping system were taken. Click on the "street view" tab to see if your car is there. Obviously, start with your home, work, places you go often, etc. Me and my friends have done this and located all of us except for myself and one other. My assumption is that I was out to luch or out showing homes. My friend actually found himself at work, at home, and his girlfriends apartment, so he was in three places. Very fun if you have some spare time.

Also, for those looking into the Knoxville area, type in any attraction and it will take you to it, allowing you to see how it looks in person from the street. Great for home buyers too, as you can pan through a neighborhood of a home you may be interested in.

Google Maps
p.s. If anyone sees a silver Hummer with a black TN power T on the front, let me know, I'm still missing......

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2008 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Updated thread title to reflect scope after move from Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Whoa, that's so cool! And kind of creepy, too. There's my house with my Jeep in the carport and my U.T. flag hanging by my front door. Thank goodness I had apparently just mowed my lawn.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM

391 posts, read 1,359,208 times
Kinda makes me wanna keep my blinds closed?!?!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 AM

396 posts, read 1,310,777 times
Dang, proof is in the pictures. We were both home in Florida at the time. Must have been taken during the second half of 2007 because I don't have that car anymore.

LCG

Old 11-14-2008, 05:06 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
When I did my house there is a car traveling down my street. It got me to thinking about just HOW did they do this. I also figured out it was on a Tuesday, since my trash can is at the curb.

This is very cool, but what if you were someplace you really didn't want to be seen?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Nope. Where I lived at the time, my street isn't pictured. I told you all I lived out in the sticks!

The house that we bought was still up for sale at the time. He had that on the market for a very long time because he was so overpriced. I bought it $45,000 under his original asking price.

JMT, you had a jeep back then?

William, I played this game a long time ago! But thanks for sharing it with the rest of the class!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 AM

132 posts, read 371,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
When I did my house there is a car traveling down my street. It got me to thinking about just HOW did they do this. I also figured out it was on a Tuesday, since my trash can is at the curb.

This is very cool, but what if you were someplace you really didn't want to be seen?

google is actually being sued for showing someone passed out on their yard, they do offer an option to remove the images from view.

it creeped me out so I had my home removed, In Britain there are also accusations that thieves use it to rob and kids use it to find homes with pools to use while people are at work.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 AM

Yep. The guy passed out is in Australia, I think. One of his good friends died and he tied one on. I think google has already erased it.

Try to find Dick Cheney's house on Google Earth. Not the one in Wyoming but Number One Observatory Circle. It's blotted out. Check it out!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:08 PM

75 posts, read 226,580 times
Google has street views, but what's also cool is maps.live.com. It has angled sky views, which are amazing.

Type in your Knoxville address, and then click on search.

Then click "Bird's Eye" tab in the top of the window.

You can even click on the rotate symbol on the left, to see your home from four different sky viewpoints.

Check out Neyland Stadium, etc. Really cool.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustme64 View Post
Google has street views, but what's also cool is maps.live.com. It has angled sky views, which are amazing.

Type in your Knoxville address, and then click on search.

Then click "Bird's Eye" tab in the top of the window.

You can even click on the rotate symbol on the left, to see your home from four different sky viewpoints.

Check out Neyland Stadium, etc. Really cool.
I used that when I was buying a house. The shots are incredible. I think Trulia or maybe Zillow uses them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.