Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 12:05 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,537,491 times

Advertisements

I really don't want to start searching all over the map. It's probably going to be somewhere out east but Ill give it a shot.

I need to find a place to live. I would love it to be in a nice small town where I can find a smallish 3 bedroom house for $100000 to $135000

I need this place to be within 1 hr to 2 hr driving range of at least 3 mid to big sized cities. Im thinking at LEAST the size of Grand Rapids, MI (just to set an base size).

I have seen the Indianapolis, Cincy, Louisville area, but am wondering where else I can find something like this. I would consider those major cities, so they don't necessarily have to be that big.

Thanks for the help. I know I can look on a map but I would also like some input into possibly nice areas that people could give me info on.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:37 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
Have you tried NY state. You could try Rochester. It is an hour away from Buffalo and like two away from Syracuse. You also have the smaller metro's of watertown and utica. Rochester is a city of over 200,000 and a million in their overall metro. Cost of living is not that bad. Their is a good mix economically of white collar to blue collar towns. You are a hop skip away from Toronto to the north. I believe a forty five minute ferry ride on lake Ontario, I could be a small bit off. Rochester is a nice city, its got lots of festivals throughout the year. You have a lake. The suburbs are a nice place to raise a family as well as many areas in the city. You have pro sport venues to the west in Buffalo and to the north in Toronto. Every major sport is covered between those two cities. I dont know if you like sports or not. You could get a reasonably modest home for the prices mentioned. There are all sorts of quaint towns throughout the Rochester area. Nice area check into it for more information if it seems interesting. Take care.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:26 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Northwestern Pennsylvania, between Buffalo and PIttsburgh, which is also close enough to Cleveland. Use city-data.com (main page) to look at the average home values of any city you want.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
I really don't want to start searching all over the map. It's probably going to be somewhere out east but Ill give it a shot.

I need to find a place to live. I would love it to be in a nice small town where I can find a smallish 3 bedroom house for $100000 to $135000

I need this place to be within 1 hr to 2 hr driving range of at least 3 mid to big sized cities. Im thinking at LEAST the size of Grand Rapids, MI (just to set an base size).

I have seen the Indianapolis, Cincy, Louisville area, but am wondering where else I can find something like this. I would consider those major cities, so they don't necessarily have to be that big.

Thanks for the help. I know I can look on a map but I would also like some input into possibly nice areas that people could give me info on.

Thanks.
Cookeville, Tennessee.

It's 1.5 hours from Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. You can definitely find a home there in your price range. Cookeville is a college town (not a party school, either), has excellent schools, lots of restaurants and shopping, and is in a beautiful area surrounded by lakes, hills, gorges, and waterfalls.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 AM

Anyone else that can help with some nice areas?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Anyone else that can help with some nice areas?
Do you have something already in mind?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Do you have something already in mind?
No, that's why Im looking for suggestions. The only area I have really looked into is the Indy, Louisville, Cincy area. I have also looked a tiny bit into the Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Cleveland area.

Im just trying to find out where else some nice small towns would be that would fit the specifications of the 1st post.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM

bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.