Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Not nearly as much as it used to be - I actually saw a picture showing hte radical change. Also, the parking lots that do remain are outside, not in, downtown. L.A. and Atlanta are exactly the same, if not worse, btw.

The parking lots people are seeing on aerial shots are not IN downtown, they're on the edge of it. And those are what's gradually going away as people buy up the valuable land.
You know how it works here...if Houston or Atlanta DARE to blow their own horn about anything, in come the flamethrowers. Chicago and NYC are immune to this treatment, of course.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 AM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Chicago doesn't qualify as a great city in my view (I lived there for 3 years in law school).

Here's why:

It's nice area is very, very, very very small. The vast majority of the city is very poor and not safe.

Ther eis lack of diversity. I know, I know, everyone says Chicago is about as diverse as Houston. But "different types of whites" does not constiutte diversity. chicago has a bunch of blacks that migrated form Mississippi in 20th century, and some mexicans. That's about it. Houston is lots of europeans immigrants, hispanics, africans (not just blacks - africans), a huge asian population, lots of indians and pakis, etc., and they all LIVE together. I saw this very little in Chicago.

Finally, the weather in Chicago is god-awful 9 months out of the year.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Chicago doesn't qualify as a great city in my view (I lived there for 3 years in law school).

Here's why:

It's nice area is very, very, very very small. The vast majority of the city is very poor and not safe.

Ther eis lack of diversity. I know, I know, everyone says Chicago is about as diverse as Houston. But "different types of whites" does not constiutte diversity. chicago has a bunch of blacks that migrated form Mississippi in 20th century, and some mexicans. That's about it. Houston is lots of europeans immigrants, hispanics, africans (not just blacks - africans), a huge asian population, lots of indians and pakis, etc., and they all LIVE together. I saw this very little in Chicago.

You just said in an earlier post that you found Chicago's crime perception overblown, and now you're saying the vast majority of the city isn't safe????

Have you ever been to Chicago?? This thread is about Houston, not Chicago. Let's stay on topic.

Oh, and I've never been to Houston. Would like to go, but from what I hear, it's not on my priority list.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Did you go to the theater district? I always see lots of people down there on weekend nights. Did you actually try to go someplace downtown or did you just drive around looking for people walking around? I'm thinking you would have had more fun if you got out of the car and went into one of the places downtown (Bayou Place, the clubs and bars on Main Street, all the restaurants, watch a game at Minute Maid Park or Toyota Center). There is plenty to do downtown.

When I went to New York City earlier this year there were several areas in Manhattan that were deserted at night. The only areas that had lots of people out on the streets were Times Square and Union Square. So next time you go to Houston pay a visit to the theater district (it's not exactly times square but you will find lots of people there having fun).

imo downtown New York City is boring at night. all the fun in midtown (just like in Houston). People go Downtown for work and people go Midtown for fun. but that doesn't mean you can't find fun things to do downtown. there is just more midtown and for others rice village is the place to go. oh ya, and don't forget to go uptown. also a great place.
Again, your assuming based on...well idk, your just guessing. Im sorry Houston's downtown didn't appeal to me as much as id hoped. You simply can't change that

Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Houston is like any other city you can find in the United States. Downtown is mostly empty and overwhelmingly filled with parking lots. It's generic in most cases. It's freaking hot, too. We're talking 80'sF before 10am in summer

Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times
Quote:

Here's why:

Obviously you've never been to the north side of Chicago.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Again, your assuming based on...well idk, your just guessing. Im sorry Houston's downtown didn't appeal to me as much as id hoped. You simply can't change that
fair enough, i'll stop arguing with you about it.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 PM

196 posts, read 992,849 times
What is with all the Houstonians on this board trying to sell their city in every thread they make? There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you live but give everyone else a break please......

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBu View Post
What is with all the Houstonians on this board trying to sell their city in every thread they make? There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you live but give everyone else a break please......
I agree. I love Houston but the boosterism can become pretty annoying.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I agree. I love Houston but the boosterism can become pretty annoying.
See this is the problem. You guys always confuse boosterism with defending our city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.