Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Young single males seeking advice on where to move, considering California, Florida, Texas, Colorado, desire; beautiful women, sunshine, nightlife, young people

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM

30 posts, read 113,470 times

Advertisements

Hello, my buddy and I are looking to move by the beginning of January, just pick up and move. We are both 22, single, straight, good looking guys, wanting change. We have lived in Indiana our whole lives and feel there is so much out there to experience. At first we ONLY thought California, preferably L.A. but after reading a lot of posts on here, have second thoughts. San Francisco seems very appealing as well, but we are starting to also consider Florida (Boca Raton or Coral Gables), Colorado (Denver), and Texas (Austin or Dallas) as well.

We both have some college under our belts, but no degrees, but we have been fine and will be fine without them. We know our potential, and will most likely bartend/bounce/waiter or find a place to become a manager right away. We are both over 6 feet, and realize this along with being white and good looking are really unspoken truths about having it easier, getting jobs in general, and moving up. We are very grateful, and are confident we will succeed wherever it is we move to. With no obligations or anything setting us back, we are ready for something new!

Criteria we care about:

- Lots of beautiful women
- A lot of sunshine (I know all the states I mention qualify)
- Exciting in general, lots to do, see
- Lots of people our age
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM

6,316 posts, read 11,040,549 times
Denver area.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Anyone else?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
I would definitely say California. You can't go wrong, whether it's L.A., OC, SD, or SF, although you two seem like a good fit anywhere. You'd probably have the most fun in L.A. though.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtwenty View Post
I would definitely say California. You can't go wrong, whether it's L.A., OC, SD, or SF, although you two seem like a good fit anywhere. You'd probably have the most fun in L.A. though.
Yeah, CA is still what we're leaning heavily on, at first it was L.A. only, but now were starting to think San Francisco, or around it. Orange County and San Diego seem too "beachy" and we'd prefer a downtown with diversity and when night time comes around people dress to impress as opposed to wearing casual attire and flip flops everywhere.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 PM

21,583 posts, read 31,063,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmMovingSoon View Post
Yeah, CA is still what we're leaning heavily on, at first it was L.A. only, but now were starting to think San Francisco, or around it. Orange County and San Diego seem too "beachy" and we'd prefer a downtown with diversity and when night time comes around people dress to impress as opposed to wearing casual attire and flip flops everywhere.
You don't say anything about price, but I was thinking NYC or NYC south (Miami Beach). I'm in my 20's and couldn't believe how many hot women there were in MB when I went.

Everyone I know that moved to CA quickly moved back because of the traffic, lack of certain jobs and the realization that the grass really isn't greener.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You don't say anything about price, but I was thinking NYC or NYC south (Miami Beach). I'm in my 20's and couldn't believe how many hot women there were in MB when I went.

Everyone I know that moved to CA quickly moved back because of the traffic, lack of certain jobs and the realization that the grass really isn't greener.
NYC is out of the picture at this point in time...too close to Indiana, weather similar to Indiana, you can't really have a car there, to get the best NYC experience would be to live downtown, etc. We actually do want to move to NYC at some point in our lives, for a year or so, for the fun of it, but not until we're both in our mid-late 20's.

Honestly, we are not worried about price. People think we're crazy to just move but we are confident we will make it wherever we choose. We will both use craigslist to at least have some type of job before we move, and also we will find a shared place on that site so rent will be quite cheap (we've already researched all the areas).

We both have never been to Florida, Texas, or Colorado, so we can't speak on those. We have been to CA, southern only, from SD - up until Santa Barbara and loved every second of it. The thing with CA is the future seems more promising, after one year of establishing residency, community college is only $20 per credit hour, and the public universities are a steal for residents. In regards to Miami, I've read about the bugs, humidity, etc. and it doesn't seem appealing. In CA, we didn't see one bug, the weather was perfect, and it looks much more scenic than the pictures I've seen from FL (mountains, valleys, hilly, etc.)

Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

18,976 posts, read 32,521,879 times
I wouldn't rule out LA, the city gets a bad rap I think and it's not that bad. A lot of malcontents complain on here constantly like in the Miami forum but as long as you know what you're getting into and what to expect LA can be a great city. I like it a lot and always have a blast when I am there. There's always something to do, weather is great, nice scenery and near other good destinations, etc... If you're single then LA can be a blast, its those that want to settle down and raise a family that have the toughest time in that city.

SF is a great city too just in a different way. Very urban and vibrant with lots going on. The problem is the city is NOT warm at all, it's not cold either. It's mild to cool, pretty much stays in the 50's and 60's year round for highs with plenty of wind and fog. If you like warm weather then I would not recommend SF BUT other parts of the Bay Area are much warmer than SF but are more suburban generally. The women of SF are not nearly as good looking as San Diego, LA is better but not as good as SD. But there are still plenty of good looking women, just not as high as a percentage as San Diego.

I love San Diego but it can be too laid back for some people. I think there is plenty to do and it has a great downtown, best in CA after SF. Lots of clubs and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter, which is very lively at night with lots of people out and lots of nice clubs so people dress a lot nicer compared to the nightlife scene in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego. I can't really say whether its "too beachy" or laid back for you, but a short visit could probably determine that.

I've never been to Miami but it seems like a place that would work too. Miami and San Diego were #1 and #2 respectively for Most Attractive people in Travel and Leisure Magazine. Seems very vibrant and happening just a lot of spanish and hispanic culture too, for some that seems to be a problem.

If you can I would try to take a week trip visiting SF, LA/OC, and SD for a few days each then that will probably give you a better idea what fits you more. I grew up in the Bay Area, have lived in SD for 7.5 years, and visit LA frequently so I can give some insight into each if you want to know more.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 PM

21,583 posts, read 31,063,921 times
IN is 12 hours from NYC by car - that's close??

Sounds to me like you already made up your mind. Enjoy CA!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I wouldn't rule out LA, the city gets a bad rap I think and it's not that bad. A lot of malcontents complain on here constantly like in the Miami forum but as long as you know what you're getting into and what to expect LA can be a great city. I like it a lot and always have a blast when I am there. There's always something to do, weather is great, nice scenery and near other good destinations, etc... If you're single then LA can be a blast, its those that want to settle down and raise a family that have the toughest time in that city.

SF is a great city too just in a different way. Very urban and vibrant with lots going on. The problem is the city is NOT warm at all, it's not cold either. It's mild to cool, pretty much stays in the 50's and 60's year round for highs with plenty of wind and fog. If you like warm weather then I would not recommend SF BUT other parts of the Bay Area are much warmer than SF but are more suburban generally. The women of SF are not nearly as good looking as San Diego, LA is better but not as good as SD. But there are still plenty of good looking women, just not as high as a percentage as San Diego.

I love San Diego but it can be too laid back for some people. I think there is plenty to do and it has a great downtown, best in CA after SF. Lots of clubs and bars in the Gaslamp Quarter, which is very lively at night with lots of people out and lots of nice clubs so people dress a lot nicer compared to the nightlife scene in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego. I can't really say whether its "too beachy" or laid back for you, but a short visit could probably determine that.

I've never been to Miami but it seems like a place that would work too. Miami and San Diego were #1 and #2 respectively for Most Attractive people in Travel and Leisure Magazine. Seems very vibrant and happening just a lot of spanish and hispanic culture too, for some that seems to be a problem.

If you can I would try to take a week trip visiting SF, LA/OC, and SD for a few days each then that will probably give you a better idea what fits you more. I grew up in the Bay Area, have lived in SD for 7.5 years, and visit LA frequently so I can give some insight into each if you want to know more.
Now that you mention it, SD definitely replaces LA, lol. We did go there last year and loved every minute of it, we actually went all the way down to Tijuana (hated that), but loved San Diego and went up until Malibu, which we really didn't care for, as it was mostly the ocean and the homes, nothing much else.

But the too "beachy" areas I was thinking of the towns of Huntington Beach, Riverside, Carlsbad, etc. Although, we would both would love to take up surfing, just wake up early and get a session in before work sounds amazing...but we could do that in SD too I guess. We really didn't venture into downtown SD for too long, but I do remember it being exciting. We weren't 21 yet, so we couldn't get the full experience . I guess at least my fascination with L.A. was that I think of all the famous people that live there and think THAT'S the place, where it's all happening and all that. But I guess San Diego can mimic that and if we did pick SD, it's only a 2 hour drive to LA, which we could go to every now and then.

San Francisco seems very awesome, the progressive views, the "cool climate." But is it hard with a car? We both drive stick, and it seems SF has the most steep roads I've ever seen, which would be terrible with a manual vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.