Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well I guess Im not alone.... There are some fun geography quizes on facebook and some in google... all the other Geography geeks will love them.
Would you list some specific links, please? Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 11:20 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,637,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Good for you - most of the kids I knew looked at National Geographic for the naked pictures!!!
Haha! No, this was the kids' version of NG, now called NG Kids. http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/ No naked tribespeople there! Oh yeah, I also loved finding these places on the globe, and spinning it around!

Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,479,550 times
Calling all mapmaniacs! New England Cartographics (www.necartographics.com or PO Box 9369, North Amherst, MA 01059) sells recycled US Geographic Survey maps as stationery. Absolutely wonderful stuff--and since I discovered them, plain white paper has become extinct at my place.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,127,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Calling all mapmaniacs! New England Cartographics (www.necartographics.com or PO Box 9369, North Amherst, MA 01059) sells recycled US Geographic Survey maps as stationery. Absolutely wonderful stuff--and since I discovered them, plain white paper has become extinct at my place.
I don't live in New England. Do you think there is a cartographic society for the South?

Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,434,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well I guess Im not alone.... There are some fun geography quizes on facebook and some in google... all the other Geography geeks will love them.
Most of the 'geography quizzes' online I've found were pretty much for schoolkids to arrange the states where they belong on the map...not exactly what I was looking for

Old 12-02-2008, 03:22 AM

4,525 posts, read 12,340,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
WOW! I am not alone! You guys dont know how much this makes me feel like I am not the oddest person in the world.

We got an Enclopedia Britannica when I was 5 and it had a huge world atlas that was about as tall as I was. I fell in love with it then. When I entered first grade I amazed my teachers that I knew each state and capital.
Yikes! I think I got that same set of Britannicas with the BIG atlas. I got mine at age 10 after years of pestering my parents for an encyclopedia that wasn't so out of date. Besides maps and population statistics, the Big atlas had mineral, metals, and food production statistics. I had much enjoyment poring over those maps.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
WOW! I am not alone! You guys dont know how much this makes me feel like I am not the oddest person in the world.

We got an Enclopedia Britannica when I was 5 and it had a huge world atlas that was about as tall as I was. I fell in love with it then. When I entered first grade I amazed my teachers that I knew each state and capital.

I go to the Barnes and Noble and pour over the new Rand McNallys to see what has changed from the previous year. I have about six here at the house. When I am bored, I pull out an old one and get the newest one and see what road has been four laned, what suburbs have annexed land, etc, etc.

I even used to take old metro Atlanta maps and get colored pencils and help the suburbs annex more land to make them look bigger and better. The Atlanta maps always looked sad compared to other metro areas in the road atlases because the counties have such power and keep the suburbs from annexing as freely as can be done in most other parts of the country.

I have a map in my head. When I meet a person, I find where they live and it goes in my brain map. I may forget everything else about them, their name, what they do, etc, but I can remember where they live or where they are from. Once on a trip, I passed thru the tiny town of Gordo, AL. I immediately could see the face of a girl from college that was from there. Couldn't bring up her name to save my life, but I put the face and the town together.

I am a certified map freak. Wish I had a degree that I could put that knowledge to some kind of practical use in a job.
You had two years on me. I watched Where in the world is Carmen San Diego when I was five. I started getting into maps when I was about six or seven, but never learned the state capitals until I was eight.

You can get a G.I.S. degree. I am a G.I.S. major myself.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You had two years on me. I watched Where in the world is Carmen San Diego when I was five. I started getting into maps when I was about six or seven, but never learned the state capitals until I was eight.

You can get a G.I.S. degree. I am a G.I.S. major myself.
Me as well, and am now putting that degree to use.

Since you are a G.I.S. major, you can now tell me the difference between a projected coordinate system, vs a geographic coordinate system! And, you likely know who Jack Dangermond is.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,479,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't live in New England. Do you think there is a cartographic society for the South?
It's not a society--it's a business. They buy government maps and turn them into stationery.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's not a society--it's a business. They buy government maps and turn them into stationery.
My mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.