Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,411,143 times

Advertisements

Atlanta of course! Like you actually had to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

880 posts, read 2,850,005 times
I would say Carrboro or Chapel Hill. Having lived in metro Atlanta for 18 years (Fayette County) I will say that once you leave the inner core of Atlanta it gets pretty conservative fast. Where I lived in Peachtree City it was about 95% Republican.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,786,318 times
Austin

Old 11-20-2008, 06:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
New Orleans? Progressive? That's hilarious! If New Orleans is the most progressive city in the South, the South is in deep doo-doo.
I always wondered how equally-corrupt Chicago is able to be the "Oasis of the Midwest; Custer's Last Stand" while surrounded by the rusted cities such as St. Louis, Detroit, and Cleveland in the Rust Belt while New Orleans hasn't stayed economically relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I meant the culture of the 504, it's unique.
So is Chicago (and Illinois) if you like corrupt politicians and scummy politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanityRules View Post
All the cities in the south are hurricane prone anyway.
I couldn't believe Ike caused devastation all the way to Chicago, Cleveland, and Southern Ontario. Even Eastern Oklahoma wasn't spared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
So Tennessee isn't part of the south anymore?
Ever heard of the Ohio Valley?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM

756 posts, read 1,874,664 times
Most progressive? The heart of any Southern city is pretty progressive. The further away you get from the urban core, the less progressive. The media portrays Austin as very progressive, but it doesn't extend much beyond the university and very central Austin.

Most to offer culturally? Houston is the most international; New Orleans is very culturally unique. Miami offers the most Carribean and Southern American flair. Atlanta should be mentioned as cultural also.

Most open to new ideas? The bigger the city, the more open would probably be a safe answer. On that note, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How is a city like Atlanta that is 250 miles from the sea hurricane prone?
Actually, I used to live in Savannah. I saw no hurricane. I moved to Atlanta and hurricanes moved through Atlanta via northwestern Florida.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Most progressive? The heart of any Southern city is pretty progressive. The further away you get from the urban core, the less progressive. The media portrays Austin as very progressive, but it doesn't extend much beyond the university and very central Austin.

Most to offer culturally? Houston is the most international; New Orleans is very culturally unique. Miami offers the most Carribean and Southern American flair. Atlanta should be mentioned as cultural also.

Most open to new ideas? The bigger the city, the more open would probably be a safe answer. On that note, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami.
Overall, Atlanta would be the most progressive city in the South. I will give Atlanta its props for this: It was a cut above most Southern cities. B'ham had "Bombingham", alot of Mississippi had problems. Bull Connor sicked the police dogs and batons on civil rights demostrators. Former Governor of Alabama George Wallace was a demagogue and resisted the civil rights movement(although he later changed and admitted he was wrong). Atlanta,GA didn't have it as bad. You had the issue with Lester Maddox. Atlanta did have a riot in 1966(and 1906), but Atlanta didn't have it as bad as Birmingham and other places in the South. Mayor Ivan Allen supported Civil Rights legislation and played a part in desegregating Atlanta's government. Atlanta progressed with Allen. How do you think Atlanta has the Braves? Allen did alot of stuff.
William Hartsfield(as well as Maynard Jackson) helped to bring an international airport to Atlanta and its the busiest in the world(why do you think the airport was named after them).
I don't see Birmingham, Jackson, and other southern cities doing all of this.
The Piedmont Triangle,NC is more progressive because of the heavy academian and scientific influences. That area may not be doing as much as Atlanta, but its doing better than most places(Duke, U of NC).
NoVa is also relatively progressive. Alot of influence from Washington DC is part of the reason.
From my observations, the progressive areas in the South are in what is the New South(Atlanta, Piedmont Triangle, NoVa). All of the regressive areas in the South are what I call the Old South.
I don't consider Houston and Dallas part of the South, nor do I consider Texas part of the South. I see that as the Southwest.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM

196 posts, read 626,273 times
Miami hands down, with Atlanta & Charlotte being a close contenders.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
I think it depends on how you define progressive. Economic progress - Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte. Avant-garde (progressive) style - Miami. Scientific progress - Research triangle NC and Oak Ridge TN. Crunchy progressive - Austin and Asheville. Progressing into decadence - N'awlins.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't consider Houston and Dallas part of the South, nor do I consider Texas part of the South. I see that as the Southwest.
What states make up the Southwest that Texas is in? Just wondering. Because if it's Arizona and New Mexico and such, I will tell you that many people in those states do not believe that Houston and Dallas are in their region and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.