Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Excellent point, TexasReb! Unfortunately I'm out of rep points to give for the time being. IMO, if there's any one city that really has the bragging rights to claim "this is where the west begins," it's Denver. Coming from the east you cross the Great Plains for hundreds of miles of barren flatness (sometimes gently rolling), sectioned off into a seemingly infinite square mile rural grid, and then out of nowhere, just about as soon as you hit the Denver metro area-- BAM! You see the Rocky Mountains, and are instantly in a 180 degree different world than the one you just came from. You could argue that eastern Colorado is really just an extension of Kansas, which is sort of the western part of the Midwest. The tiny little towns on the eastern plains of Colorado have practically nothing in common with the rest of the state. But then once you're in the Front Range, everything becomes totally clear that you're in the Mountain West region. I can't think of any city in Texas that has such a lopsided, "gateway to a kingdom" but literally "on the edge of nowhere" geographical orientation like that.
I would say that there isn't any city in the nation that is like that. So that is very unique to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Thanks again Texas Reb, you certainly win my vote for CD poster of the year.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
he's got my vote as well

Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
I gotta agree with this one. He imparts a lot of insight to the geographic relationships of the southern states and Texas as it relates to those states. Its a shame really, Im out of rep points for him as well, but I sure learned something new...lol

Old 11-26-2008, 10:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy2009 View Post
Well I'm glad I won this debate! I love how southerners are ones trying to argue for TX being included---> I think they want to leach off our wealth power and prestige!!!

Nice chatting with you all!
I have some affordable oceanfront property here in Atlanta to sell to you.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Texas is most definitely the South. If those Texas and Oklahoma accents I hear aren't Southern, then I guess there's no such thing as a Southern accent.
VERY well put. Yes Sir.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Absolutely. I would cast my vote for my good buddy and fellow Texan, TexasReb. Ain't a nicer more intelligent guy on these here boards.

My only gripe with TexasReb---his Longhorns may win the Big 12 South and not my Sooners! LOL! Personally I think the Bowl Championship Series should just give the National Championship to the Big 12 South as we have THREE teams (Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas Tech) worthy of playing in the title game.

Alright TexasReb, we'll just have to meet at the local Southern Baptist church and pray through this one. God's grace is sufficient to bring even the Sooners and Longhorns together! LOL!

Old 11-27-2008, 01:55 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Go Texas Tech!!!!!!!

anyways I think that Denver,El Paso or Albuquerque could be used as gateways to the West, I dont really think of West Texas,Eastern New Mexico or Eastern Colorado as true Western/Southwestern. I think they have more in common with Kansas than they do the rest of their states, at least landscape wise.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Default Thanks to all!

Thanks so much to all my good friends here for y'alls nice words. BTW -- does any cash go with this nomination? I accept both Republic of Texas and Confederate money! *grins*

But seriously, regarding my buddy Bass & Catfish's comments, leave it to a bunch of Southerners to turn almost any discussion into football (SaintMarks earlier noted our propensity for the same). Yep, we might just have to meet and pray over this one. LOL

It IS quite a year for SEC and Big 12 South football so far as national rankings go! Hook 'em horns! \m/

Old 11-27-2008, 10:36 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I'm sort of a minor Texas Tech fan. After watching the Insight Bowl game against Minnesota played at Sun Devil stadium two years ago (which was better than any game my school ASU ever played there that whole year, lol), when Texas Tech was down 0-31 then came back touchdown after touchdown ended up beating them in overtime 44-41, the biggest upset in college bowl history, I developed new respect for the Red Raiders. That was also an awesome game against the Longhorns a few weeks ago. Loved that scene when they tore down the goalpost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.