Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Why does the United States have such a high violent crime rate?? Compared to most developed countries, the US' violent crime rate s pretty high.
Elementary, dear Watson. We love to shoot people. Personally, a day without bustin' a cap in somebody's *** is like a day without sunshine.

• Napalm in the morning.
  • Bambi massacres, the titillating song stylings of Ted "The Nuge" Nugent wailing in the misty morn.
  • Hiding in a bunker in Montana with 48 shotguns, a case of Schlitz and a shelf full of canned peas waiting for 2012.
  • Ghetto drive-by's, hookers and crackheads running for their lives.
  • Mentally strange wing-nuts, armed to the teeth and sensually aroused by inflammatory rhetoric, and/or Jodie Foster.

Wholesome, just like mom and apple pie and hamburgers and fat people with rear ends the size of a continental shelf lumbering through the closest mall. Now that you can carry guns into bars and when you go out to dinner in some states, it's gonna get a lot funnier: waiter/diner duels, shaky-quaky alcoholics blowing their own private parts across the room halfway through the 10th marnagrita of the evening (Thank God I was packin' though - I coulda got mugged by dopers). This will make for great television.

We love drugs too. Snort it up, shoot it down, freak with the freakers, and end the night feeling free. That is who we are. You gotta problem with it?

Look at what we've gone through. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the cold war, turning brown people in obscure countries into walking barbecue lost its' domino-theory cachet. Since then, the middle class has eroded. The economy has had some kind of epic seizure it will take us a generation to crawl our way out of, one sub-mental McJob after another. There are zombie subdivisions and half-depopulated cities from Sea to Shining Sea. We can't go out and charge expensive plastic crap (This used to be America's pastime) that we'd hate as soon as we got the stuff in question back home from the aforementioned mall. We gotta have something to occupy our time.

Randy Newman put it best:

Turpentine and dandelion wine
turn the corner, I'm doin' fine
shootin' at the birds of the telephone line
pickin' 'em off with gun of mine
Got a fire in the belly and a fire in my head
gettin' high high 'till I'm dead

Brother Gene, big and mean - he ain't got much to say
had a li'l woman he whopped each day, but now she gone away
Got drunk last night, kicked momma down the stairs
I'm all right, and I don't care

Oh oh the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
and young folks roll on the floor
Oh oh the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
keep 'em hard times 'way from my door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is too simplistic. And anyway, the number of murders committed by Whites isn't that far off from the amount of murders committed by African-Americans.

Here is another question. There are more African-Americans than ever before in this nation's history, not to mention more immigration from the West Indies and Africa than ever before. Why is it that the murder rate in 2009 is lower for the USA than it was in 1933, when it was at 9.7 murders per 100,000?

I feel like the way you are putting it, this is what I get out of it. It is as if the message being said is "Take Black people out of the equation and things are better".
It is a percentage issue. Blacks also make up a lower percentage of the population now. That being said, Prohibition and organized crime had a lot to do with the murder rate back then.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

More humans were killed in the first quarter this century than in the last 2000 years

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
It is a percentage issue. Blacks also make up a lower percentage of the population now. That being said, Prohibition and organized crime had a lot to do with the murder rate back then.
I agree with the Prohibition argument. I don't agree that Blacks make up a lower percentage now than back then. Blacks made up 10.7% of the population in 1910. Blacks made up 9.9% of the USA population in 1920. The percentage dropped, and kept dropping into the next decade. The percentage dropped to 9.7% in 1930 even though the African-American population went from 10 million to 11 million. The African-American population is at 13% now and the murder rate is lower now than it was between 1920 and 1930. The African-American population is higher now than it has ever been, and the percentage is higher now than it has ever been. The African-American population dropped in percentage between 1920 and 1930 and the murder rate actually went up. The African-American population increased from 11.1% in 1970 to 12.1% in 1990. This was an extremely violent time in American history, especially with the crack epidemic of the 1980's. The current African-American population is at 13% and the murder rate has dropped alot since the 1980's. Race doesn't play the big part. Turn of events does. And the majority of murders in this nation are intra-racial, not interracial.

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-20-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
When they studied differences of Americans from others I remember they said two were that Americans are more likely to see their fate as in "their own hands" than other peoples and believe in the pursuit of their own individual goals. So possibly if someone wrongs a Swede or a Japanese person they are more likely to feel society should handle it or that it was meant to be, whereas an American will kill the bas***d.

Well okay most Americans probably won't kill over being wronged, but I wonder if American individualism and individual aspirations is part of it. Going from "rags to riches" is part of the "American dream" and drugs could seem like a way to do that. Pursuit of your own happiness is part of our founding document and possibly for some what stands in the way of that happiness can be seen an obstacle to run over.

And there's also the family structure issue. Even in the nineteenth century American rates of divorce were high by global standards. Fatherless homes are relatively common in the US. There are several Scandinavian countries where unmarried parenthood is relatively common, but I believe they're still more likely to have two or more parents be in the child's life. They might not be married, but they are together for the child. In our country one parent, generally the father, is pretty often absent.

For a more Left-leaning perspective, I'm not Left myself, the US has a relatively high rates of income inequality and was founded by imperialists who used violence to get what they wanted. They didn't like new taxes? Violence. They wanted to stretch to the Pacific Ocean? Violence. They couldn't agree on slavery? Violence. This isn't exactly my perspective though because I think most societies have a history of violence. Still I think going back to the American Revolution itself some of the message of America is "Justice deferred is justice denied" and that violence is a viable way to keep justice from being deferred too long.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
When they studied differences of Americans from others I remember they said two were that Americans are more likely to see their fate as in "their own hands" than other peoples and believe in the pursuit of their own individual goals. So possibly if someone wrongs a Swede or a Japanese person they are more likely to feel society should handle it or that it was meant to be, whereas an American will kill the bas***d.

Well okay most Americans probably won't kill over being wronged, but I wonder if American individualism and individual aspirations is part of it. Going from "rags to riches" is part of the "American dream" and drugs could seem like a way to do that. Pursuit of your own happiness is part of our founding document and possibly for some what stands in the way of that happiness can be seen an obstacle to run over.

And there's also the family structure issue. Even in the nineteenth century American rates of divorce were high by global standards. Fatherless homes are relatively common in the US. There are several Scandinavian countries where unmarried parenthood is relatively common, but I believe they're still more likely to have two or more parents be in the child's life. They might not be married, but they are together for the child. In our country one parent, generally the father, is pretty often absent.

For a more Left-leaning perspective, I'm not Left myself, the US has a relatively high rates of income inequality and was founded by imperialists who used violence to get what they wanted. They didn't like new taxes? Violence. They wanted to stretch to the Pacific Ocean? Violence. They couldn't agree on slavery? Violence. This isn't exactly my perspective though because I think most societies have a history of violence. Still I think going back to the American Revolution itself some of the message of America is "Justice deferred is justice denied" and that violence is a viable way to keep justice from being deferred too long.
An interesting perspective. Many in the USA have a short memory when it comes to violence in the USA. The USA isn't the only nation to get things through imperialism and violence,but it did do it. Violence has been common throughout American history. The Native Americans had wars between different tribes. The American slavery system was itself very violent. Expansion of the USA was violent as the USA started a war with Mexico to get what is now the Southwest USA. Native Americans had their land taken from them and were placed on reservations through violence. When some people in the Southeast USA felt that the institution of slavery was being threatened, war was declared. The Civil Rights movement in the USA didn't skate by without violence. Riots in the urban areas, church bombings, and other forms of violence. Even in the old days, there was violent crime in the cities. New Orleans and Charleston were very violent cities during the Antebellum days. New Orleans was a haven for pirates, so violent crimes were bound to occur. The Honor Culture of the South played a big part in violence in the Deep South. This kind of violence is more of a personal, individualistic variety that you are speaking of, the kind of mentality that exists in the USA.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:08 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I think the rate is so high because in our sytem, racial and economic inequities are allowed to persist. This forces people into desperate situations, many times having to resort to extreme measures simply to survive, feed themselves and/or their kids, or simply to maintain some self-respect and/or dignity. It denies people equal access and opportunity to the system based on something as simple as skin color. Such a system creates tremendous feelings of self-doubt, hopelessness, and rage.

Doesn't help that Conservatives are a major political party in this country, and prefer to perpetuate the inequities by giving the rich more money, and telling the disadvantaged, middle class, and poor to go to hell. Doesn't help that they'd rather drop a trillion dollars to help foreign countries instead of tackling the root of the problems here at home.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:42 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
We make up roughly one-eighth of the population and we been at this percentage for quite some time. Back in prohibition, we were 9-11% of the population. We peaked at 19-20% in this country, but that was so long ago when black slaves outnumbered whites in a few states.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
We make up roughly one-eighth of the population and we been at this percentage for quite some time. Back in prohibition, we were 9-11% of the population. We peaked at 19-20% in this country, but that was so long ago when black slaves outnumbered whites in a few states.
Not only that, the African-American population started dropping in percentage around 1820, when it was made illegal to buy slaves from Africa. You could still have slaves, but the importation of them from Africa was made illegal. It dropped even more drastically between 1860-1920 when there was alot of immigration from Europe.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think the rate is so high because in our sytem, racial and economic inequities are allowed to persist. This forces people into desperate situations, many times having to resort to extreme measures simply to survive, feed themselves and/or their kids, or simply to maintain some self-respect and/or dignity. It denies people equal access and opportunity to the system based on something as simple as skin color. Such a system creates tremendous feelings of self-doubt, hopelessness, and rage.

Doesn't help that Conservatives are a major political party in this country, and prefer to perpetuate the inequities by giving the rich more money, and telling the disadvantaged, middle class, and poor to go to hell. Doesn't help that they'd rather drop a trillion dollars to help foreign countries instead of tackling the root of the problems here at home.
What you just explained exists in every single country in the world. Leave your small box, and conservatives are the exact same as democrats. They have the same agendas and goals and are there just to distract and program the mindless herds. Don't be a sheep.

The reason is cultural. Americans are individualists and want everything fast and now. That's why fast food was made here first. Why go to college for 4 years for free and get a job making 50K when you get out when you can sell coke and make 100K a year now?

Also most men with low self esteem feel like they need to be a rich gangster or badass to be cool and have sex with hot women consistently. This is more often found in black communities where the young women have been brainwashed and programed into wanting a "real n****" which is slang for a drug dealer who kills people and knocks up multiple women. Young Black men want to be "real n****s" because they are the ones who bang the most hot women in the hood. There also the ones with the media glory...

From TV to movies to the music being a gangster is preferable to being a college graduate. The fact that most of them don't have fathers means the guys on gangland, first 48, BET, and whoever the new hot rapper is bragging about being a serial killer and dope distributor and how it has made him rich and famous and given him hot women becomes there role model and father figure. Along with the people in there neighborhoods who actually do those things also drive the best cars, wear the best clothes, and have orgys with the hottest women are there role models.

The programming starts very early.

Like bun b said "coochie is the root of all drama".

Last edited by Observation; 04-16-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.