Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:01 PM

489 posts, read 2,014,593 times

Advertisements

Downtown Chicago should be less expensive than NYC; however, it is also very cold there. You can walk to most everything when living in The Windy City, and when transportation is necessary, you have the trains and buses. You can also grab a cab depending on where you want to go and how much you want to spend getting there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Default Reno, NV

I have a friend who also has a vision problem and is a Manhattan native who moved to Reno because of the good public transportation system and weather. He has been there about 15 years now, and his 80-year-old mother moved from NYC to there and loves it.

I have not lived in Reno, but have visited several times. I hear good things from people who do live around there, and NV doesn't have state taxes.

Something to consider, anyway.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 10:17 PM

252 posts, read 709,961 times
Washington, DC has a great subway and good bus system. I didn't have a car for the firs two years that I lived there.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Well since you live in NYC I'd assume you'd want to stay in a large city. Some cities I'd consider would be:

Portland, OR
Chicago
Seattle
Denver

Each city has a walkable downtown and a fairly low cost-of-living. Another option would be Dallas or Austin; Dallas has the DART and Austin is fairly walkable albeit a bit small.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:11 PM

942 posts, read 1,391,408 times
When I decided to relocate, public transit was way at the top of my list of what I needed, as well as a more mild climate and lower cost of living at least compared to the Boston Area. All I could really come up with in all the research was Portland, Oregon. Weather especially cold and snowy weather, knocked most places off my list, as well as being to big. The USA Just does not have transit much outside of the northern areas, San Diego has transit, but the cost of living there is prohibitive as is the rest of calif. Really, all I found was Portland, light rail that is always being extended, a streetcar system, also being extended, one of the most extensive bus systems I have ever seen in a city, that really is on the smaller side of big. There is even now a swiss cable car that goes from the riverfront up into the West Hills, primarily for workers that work in the hosptals up there. I hardly use my vehicle here, and am not affected by high gas prices one bit, at least at the gas pump that is, I am sure I will be with food in the stores, like all of us, will pay extra for that as fuel prices go up. Look into Portland and see how you like it. Portland is not a cheap place to live, but for us from the northeast and California it really is alot cheaper to live here.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Quote:
OregonRain: When I decided to relocate, public transit was way at the top of my list of what I needed, as well as a more mild climate and lower cost of living at least compared to the Boston Area. All I could really come up with in all the research was Portland, Oregon.
I used to live in Seattle and had an awful time with SAD. Is Portland pretty much the same?? I'm very interested in a town with good public transportation, as I hate to drive!!

Thanks,
Wisteria

Old 12-25-2008, 06:52 AM

40 posts, read 174,331 times
just want to bump the thread as am getting restless again lol

Old 12-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Did you consider Providence? It is not too far from where you are now.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:49 AM

40 posts, read 174,331 times
I do want better weather then providence. I know I could go to Philly,Pittsburgh or any number of cities in the east or Midwest I was just hoping for better weather.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Atlanta Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.