Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:13 PM

9 posts, read 171,072 times

Advertisements

Nothing is "wrong" with it per say-I have social anxiety disorder and a Learning disability and I don't always catch it and I can take things personally being the sensitive creature I am

Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 AM

13 posts, read 39,108 times
Default Sarcasm Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
What's wrong with sarcasm?

Well...here's the definition from an online dictionary. Does it sound like a GOOD thing to you?

Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound.

BTW, I'm from NYC and I would suggest you avoid the entire northeast. Ever see the movie "Roxanne" with Steve Allen and Darryl Hannah? There's a scene where Hannah's character is sarcastic and Allen says "Oh. Sarcasm. Yea, we don't get that here." Well, the "here" is Colorado and yea, they really don't. They're refreshingly 95% sarcasm free!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:24 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Well,

Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What's this? You hate sarcasm and innuendo? I've never heard of such a thing. And, by the way, you should come to New York City. (LOL, somewhat uncontrollably)
He probably doesn't get humor either

"A horse enters a bar? But horses are not allowed in bars.... Why did the bar tender ask the horse about his long face? Horses can't talk back...All this is very strange, I'm confused"

Old 11-28-2008, 07:02 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Lack of sarcasm usually equals lack of intelligence.

"Man's first frown is the first touch of God on his forehead. The touch of thought." --Ayn Rand

Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM

42 posts, read 249,301 times
Default the south+humor = epic fail

most definitely the southern US.....people can be so literal and lack sophistication....being a bit of a smartass myself, it's always been hard for me to befriend the natives. an example: it's been overcast and rainy for a solid week here..so i'm chillin with this girlfriend..at the time, it was really dead downtown...so i say yea, i don't get why it's been so dead..i mean the weather has been so nice lately, in my usual deadpan tone. she says
yea i don't get it either, in a kind of serious polite tone..that just made me cringe and go ugh, wtf am i interacting with such thickheaded, serious, boring people?. So today i did some research and found this interesting little clip from a recent study on sarcasm done by the University of Memphis.....

Quote:
Journal of Language and Social Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 1, 71-85 (2008)
DOI: 10.1177/0261927X07309512

Regional Variation in the Use of Sarcasm
Megan L. Dress
The University of Memphis, Tennessee

Roger J. Kreuz

The University of Memphis, Tennessee, rkreuz@memphis.edu

Kristen E. Link

State University of New York at Oswego

Gina M. Caucci

The University of Memphis, Tennessee

College students in New York and Tennessee participated in tasks designed to measure their use of sarcasm. They also provided definitions for the terms irony and sarcasm and completed part of a Sarcasm Self-Report Scale. Northern participants generated more sarcastic completions and chose more direct ironic statements than their Southern counterparts did. Regional differences accounted for a unique amount of variance when other demographic factors were controlled for. Northern and male participants self-reported using sarcasm more than Southern and female participants, respectively. Northern participants defined sarcasm as involving more humor than Southern participants. Correlations of the participants' use of sarcasm and the self-report measure revealed a moderate degree of metapragmatic awareness. This study is the first to demonstrate regional differences in the use of sarcasm, and possible reasons for these differences are discussed.
source: Regional Variation in the Use of Sarcasm -- Dress et al. 27 (1): 71 -- Journal of Language and Social Psychology

also, an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on sarcasm that i thought was quite insightful:

Quote:
Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive but understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding is lacking in people with brain damage, dementia and autism[3], and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.[4] [5]
source: Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
most definitely the southern US.....people can be so literal and lack sophistication....being a bit of a smartass myself, it's always been hard for me to befriend the natives. an example: it's been overcast and rainy for a solid week here..so i'm chillin with this girlfriend..at the time, it was really dead downtown...so i say yea, i don't get why it's been so dead..i mean the weather has been so nice lately, in my usual deadpan tone. she says
yea i don't get it either, in a kind of serious polite tone..that just made me cringe and go ugh, wtf am i interacting with such thickheaded, serious, boring people?. So today i did some research and found this interesting little clip from a recent study on sarcasm done by the University of Memphis.....

source: Regional Variation in the Use of Sarcasm -- Dress et al. 27 (1): 71 -- Journal of Language and Social Psychology

also, an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on sarcasm that i thought was quite insightful:

source: Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Autism explains Larry the Cable Guy's popularity around these parts...

Old 05-05-2009, 01:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,409 times
Minnesota.. any place that is more Canadianesque... that would be Minnesota.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
The rural south seems like a pretty straight forward place.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times
I don't know, I've only lived in 4 different areas and have found that anyone can be sarcastic, doesn't matter where they are from, that's just their personality. I haven't seen more or less in Ca, to Missouri, to Georgia to Virginia...personally, I like a sarcastic sense of humor, most times,lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.