Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxguy View Post
Nothing is "wrong" with it per say-I have social anxiety disorder and a Learning disability and I don't always catch it and I can take things personally being the sensitive creature I am

Oh, yeah, I can see where that would be an issue! I don't know that there is any place you can really avoid it, just certain people...

Old 05-05-2009, 04:50 PM

218 posts, read 840,290 times
I've gotta say, this is one of the funniest threads I've come across. Sarcasm is not geographically defined!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM

42 posts, read 249,301 times
it most definitely is - just as types of sarcasm vary from region to region...i've lived all over too..from LA to Nashville to Winnipeg (Canada) to parts of Western Europe...humor varies by region as it is strongly tied to culture and language.. here are some examples --

Category:Comedy and humor by nationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I'd probably go with Seattle. though feel free to prove me wrong, also the rural south for sure... I speak in sarcasm in pretty much every sentence! Goes right over their heads so then I shutup and get in my place. People in IT (where I work) pretty much constantly speak in sarcasm... ..

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
most definitely the southern US.....people can be so literal and lack sophistication....being a bit of a smartass myself, it's always been hard for me to befriend the natives. an example: it's been overcast and rainy for a solid week here..so i'm chillin with this girlfriend..at the time, it was really dead downtown...so i say yea, i don't get why it's been so dead..i mean the weather has been so nice lately, in my usual deadpan tone. she says
yea i don't get it either, in a kind of serious polite tone..that just made me cringe and go ugh, wtf am i interacting with such thickheaded, serious, boring people?. So today i did some research and found this interesting little clip from a recent study on sarcasm done by the University of Memphis.....

source: Regional Variation in the Use of Sarcasm -- Dress et al. 27 (1): 71 -- Journal of Language and Social Psychology

also, an excerpt from the Wikipedia article on sarcasm that i thought was quite insightful:

source: Sarcasm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't get it....

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
People in IT (where I work) pretty much constantly speak in sarcasm... ..
Where I work, it's all "Yo mama this" and "Yo mama that." Then again, I work at a family owned and operated brothel. That mama really be wearin' a mattress on her back!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:50 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcguire1 View Post
Well...here's the definition from an online dictionary. Does it sound like a GOOD thing to you?

Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a person, situation or thing. It is strongly associated with irony, with some definitions classifying it as a type of verbal irony intended to insult or wound.

BTW, I'm from NYC and I would suggest you avoid the entire northeast. Ever see the movie "Roxanne" with Steve Allen and Darryl Hannah? There's a scene where Hannah's character is sarcastic and Allen says "Oh. Sarcasm. Yea, we don't get that here." Well, the "here" is Colorado and yea, they really don't. They're refreshingly 95% sarcasm free!
I am going to have to agree with this. I am extremely sarcastic, as are most people in Wisconsin, I lived in Denver for the better part of 5 years, and I can tell you that people out there didn't respond well to my cutting remarks or snarky sense of humor.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

212 posts, read 699,740 times
I am not sure,but i feel sarcasm was born of,.....the stupid question.ever hear the "here's your sign" guy? jeff foxworthy?

Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 PM

212 posts, read 699,740 times
Example one.Someone who wakes up in Alaska in winter and asks,...."do you think it will be cold today?"

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Here's some good reading: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eneral-us.html

(Did I say that in a sarcastic way?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.