Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,489,950 times

Advertisements

Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 05:06 PM

37,737 posts, read 40,783,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Which do you think is the most overrated university??
Berkley. Three of their graduates went "hiking" in Iraq and wound up in Iran.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Going by the top 50 in the rankings published by US News...

Overrated: Dartmouth, Brown, Notre Dame, USC, Boston College, Brandeis, Lehigh, UC-Davis, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Irvine...All of these are great universities, but I don't feel they should be ranked as high as they are.

Underrated: UC-Berkeley, Michigan, UNC-Chapel Hill, UC-San Diego, Wisconsin, Illinois...These schools are all well known as great schools, but I think they are all even better than what their rankings suggest. It's nuts that Berkeley is not even ranked in the top 20, and that schools like Wisconsin and Illinois are not even in the top 40.
Berekely is ranked #21 of National Universiteis; Illinois and Wisconsin are both ranked #39. (US News, 2010)

Old 09-06-2010, 02:47 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,213,554 times
Here in Texas, UT is overrated from what I can see. Granted, it's a great school that is difficult to get into, but I don't think it's THAT much better than every other Texas school. For whatever reason, Rice does not seem to get the prestige it deserves and seems like the most underrated school in the state. At work I hear parents talking about UT like it's Harvard. I never hear anyone talk about Rice. I don't know. Perhaps this exists because their football team isn't as successful? Is it simply because it's the flagship university?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,658 times
From what I've seen, Harvard is BY FAR the most overrated university.

I've come across many Harvard students and a huge number just seem like people with average to slightly above average intelligence who just happened to be the biggest nerds on the planet (hence the top grades). Based on what they said and the way they acted, most of them didn't exactly come across as genuinely highly intelligent.

The lectures I've seen are also very underwhelming, with the pace often being slower than at many lower-ranked universities, and the material often being taught in a very elementary manner.

And then there's the fact that there are many, many universities with a significantly greater number of Nobel Prize winners, Abel Award winners, Academy Award winners, other prestigious award winners, citations in notable papers, top-ranked departments or professors, etc. than Harvard has.

... Yet so many people continue to tout Harvard as being the absolute "best" university. Why?

It's down to crowd mentality: a very flawed human behavior that manifests itself in irrational beliefs.

Ask the average fan why they think Harvard is the best. Chances are they can't give you a specific reason other than something along the lines of "cuz every1 else dose lol".

Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times
Usc

Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,583,485 times
Ivy Leaguers are the ones running the country, both in D.C. and on Wall Street. That's all you need to know.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:04 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
Faber and Huxley Colleges both highly over-rated and were a complete waste of my time in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:13 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,901,933 times
Why all the hate on USC? Boo to you all! GO TROJANS!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Georgetown.
With the exception of the Linguistics department, I agree.

To add to the list: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, all the other Ivy League school. Ivy League schools are tremendously overrated overall because it's all about the label--"mhmm, yeah, I went to Harvard." Not to say their education is bad, but just that there are plenty of other places where the education is just as good (or dare I say better) but less expensive and not as positively stigmatized as the Ivy Leagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.