Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times

Advertisements

Oh God, spare me. Especially Austin being at the top... I mean, aren't we over that yet?

And yes I've lived there so I know it well... it's overhyped. Sorry, but my idea of culture is a little more than a cartoon character's birthday or a celebration of Spam. If someone else thinks that's cool, whatever. Oh, and the restaurant scene blows.

And Atlanta? Does that have to do with hip-hop or what?

Seattle? Hmmm. Maybe.

Boston? Boston is lots of things, but cool, don't necessarily agree.

Remember, "cool" is here today, gone tomorrow. At one time, big hair and guy-liner was cool too.

Like someone else said, if you need a cheesy magazine article to tell you you're cool, maybe you need to re-think your desirability in other ways such as practicality, culture and quality of life....

Last edited by AK123; 11-29-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
cooler than Chicago, yes. cooler than Los Angeles, no.
wow, another angsty Houstonian jealous of Chicago, what a surprise... have you ever even been to Chicago since the 90's? Chicago is the third largest city in the nation, Austin is a giant suburb, explain to me how it has any shot of being cooler. That's like saying Pittsburgh is cooler than NYC. Do all Houstonians think large suburbs and endless sprawl are cool? ...It's starting to look that way.

And Miami reeks of coolness, I was just at SoBe the other day, n how that didn't manage to come out on top leads me to believe this article was written by some dumb UT frat boy on an internship.

Austin cooler than Chicago... LOL!

Old 11-30-2008, 05:16 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
wow, another angsty Houstonian jealous of Chicago, what a surprise... have you ever even been to Chicago since the 90's? Chicago is the third largest city in the nation, Austin is a giant suburb, explain to me how it has any shot of being cooler. That's like saying Pittsburgh is cooler than NYC. Do all Houstonians think large suburbs and endless sprawl are cool? ...It's starting to look that way.

And Miami reeks of coolness, I was just at SoBe the other day, n how that didn't manage to come out on top leads me to believe this article was written by some dumb UT frat boy on an internship.

Not exactly, but the thousands people that are moving here seem to think so

Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
I'll ask one more time. Is there a link to this list?????

Old 11-30-2008, 07:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Oh God, spare me. Especially Austin being at the top... I mean, aren't we over that yet?

And yes I've lived there so I know it well... it's overhyped. Sorry, but my idea of culture is a little more than a cartoon character's birthday or a celebration of Spam. If someone else thinks that's cool, whatever. Oh, and the restaurant scene blows.

And Atlanta? Does that have to do with hip-hop or what?

Seattle? Hmmm. Maybe.

Boston? Boston is lots of things, but cool, don't necessarily agree.

Remember, "cool" is here today, gone tomorrow. At one time, big hair and guy-liner was cool too.

Like someone else said, if you need a cheesy magazine article to tell you you're cool, maybe you need to re-think your desirability in other ways such as practicality, culture and quality of life....

i think a lot of cities are cool. and all the ones mentioned definitely are. but Forbes is out of control. they're obviously monetarily "inspired"

Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post

Check a post I made earlier defending Chicago over Austin. There is no jealousy at all in Houston over Chicago. You can keep your months of staying inside while we have our 12 months of outdoor weather. Went jogging 3 miles today and had drinks tonight on a restaurant patio. Should continue for the next 12 months and in Chicago?????

Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Who the hell wants to live in a cool city? Sounds like my idea of hell.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:15 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I'll ask one more time. Is there a link to this list?????
Ok, maybe the third time is the charm. If anyone could provide a link to this list, that would be most appreciated.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Shouldn't this be in the Austin subforum? Just like the Chicago's GQ's City of the Year thread was moved to the Chicago subforum.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Ok, maybe the third time is the charm. If anyone could provide a link to this list, that would be most appreciated.

I tried to Google this, and couldn't find it anywhere????? Maybe it's true, but you'd think it would show up when Googled. Maybe someone else can find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.