Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times

Advertisements

I'm glad Miami isn't on the list anymore, but we are the 7th most dangerous metro in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 06:35 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I would rather live in a metro that had a dangerous city that live in a dangerous metro. If you think about it, there is a really big difference. I think the metros surrounding all of Ohio's dangerous cities are really quite safe.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I bet you wouldn't be saying the same thing if he was a Democrat. The fact is that ever since Rudy Giuliani was mayor, the Big Apple has never again been ranked among the list of America's murder capitals. I remember the crime/murder rate being pretty damn high when it was runned by the Black DEMOCRAT David Dinkins. And Rudy cleaned up the mess that he left behind.
Not to beat a dead horse, but crime actually went DOWN in Dinkins last year and a half in office. The big reason why Dinkins lost is because of the economic situation that plagued New York in the early 1990s. Rudy did crack down on quality of life issues, but by no means was he the savior that he is made out to be.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:37 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Although St. Louis City has a crime problem, St. Louis Metro is 127th most dangerous. And St. Louis city is very small and fairly dense, very urban. Generally very urban areas have higher crime. When you have a big spread out city like Kansas City with a density of like 1,500 (St. Louis City density is about 5,700 people per sq. mi.), then "city" crime will be lower. From my understanding, most of St. Louis City is fine. Though St. Louis does need to address its crime issues, it's not like the city is unlivable.
The fact that the 'burbs of St. Louis are safe does not change the fact that the city is dangerous. The list in question was about CITIES; not metros.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:04 PM

163 posts, read 616,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but crime actually went DOWN in Dinkins last year and a half in office. The big reason why Dinkins lost is because of the economic situation that plagued New York in the early 1990s. Rudy did crack down on quality of life issues, but by no means was he the savior that he is made out to be.
I lived in the city during the Dinkins years. Remember the riots and his inadequate response? I do. There was also rampant crime. When Rudy became Mayor he concentrated on quality of life issues, which drastically improved the lives of people living in the city. Some people can claim it was the police chief who initiated the crack down on petty crimes (often committed by people involved in more serious crimes), but it was still on Rudy's watch.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
^^^ I think you're confusing cracking down crime with being a good mayor. NYC was a racially polorizing place during the 80's and early 90's, responding the the Crown Heights riots or the Korean boycott was going to be difficult at best. Dinkins is also responsible for increasing the size of the NYPD, something that Rudy gets a lot of credit for. Also, lets not forget the police brutality incidents that were sadly common under Rudy's watch. Biaz, Louima, Diallo, Dorismond. What was his response? Or what about his treatment of the lower class and the homeless? What would most people think of that?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I would rather live in a metro that had a dangerous city that live in a dangerous metro. If you think about it, there is a really big difference. I think the metros surrounding all of Ohio's dangerous cities are really quite safe.
I agree. A pattern I have noticed is that in Sunbelt metros, crime is dispersed all over the metro, while in Northern and Midwestern metros, crime is pretty well confined to central city neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
I'm glad Miami isn't on the list anymore, but we are the 7th most dangerous metro in the US.
don'[t worry miami will always be on my list

i know, i know... i shouldn't talk

Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I agree. A pattern I have noticed is that in Sunbelt metros, crime is dispersed all over the metro, while in Northern and Midwestern metros, crime is pretty well confined to central city neighborhoods.
It's so funny when people characterize all the cities in a particular region as being the same. They aren't the same - in any region.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
The complete rankings for all cities can be found here:

CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2008

You can also find rankings for metros. What really surprised me is that Minneapolis is ranked the #20 most dangerous city, above Washington D.C. and Philadelphia, respectively. Also rounding the top 20 are Atlanta at #16, Compton at #17, Orlando at #18, and Little Rock at #19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.