Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I agree with your point but I dont agree with the overall logic. Downtown Chicago makes up what (Im guessing here)2%-3% of the city of Chicago? Its a great downtown but that shouldnt mask the fact that Chicago has crime,poverty,educational problems on par with every other big city.
About a quarter to a third of Chicago (mostly north lakefront) is gentrified and safe. Given that this is 60-70 square miles of desirable urban real estate, its very possible to live your entire Chicago life within these confines while avoiding the rest of the city. These are the parts of Chicago that tourists see.

Probably a third to a half of Chicago constitute the worst ills of urban America: poverty, crime, disinvestment, etc. This is the lesser known side of Chicago which outsiders tend to avoid, but just as real a part of the whole Chicago experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am scared of San Francisco, Los Angeles and to a lesser extent Seattle because of earthquakes that strike without warning while you are somplace like a subway car or under a freeway stuck in traffic. Oklahoma City can also be dangerous at certain times of the year because of tornados.
???was this a weather thread? I thought was about crime?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 AM

479 posts, read 1,443,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If White on Black hate crimes is that common in suburban White America, than why is it that most famous Black sports athletes, musicians, entertainers, media personalities etc choose to live in affluent predominantly White suburbs ? Even Jeremiah Wright lives in a very White suburb of Chicago called Tinley Park which is 90% White.
Because is a middle class/rich suburb which are usually safe? I am sure they won't be moving to some rural town where the population is 99% white. That will sound so scary.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
About a quarter to a third of Chicago (mostly north lakefront) is gentrified and safe. Given that this is 60-70 square miles of desirable urban real estate, its very possible to live your entire Chicago life within these confines while avoiding the rest of the city. These are the parts of Chicago that tourists see.

Probably a third to a half of Chicago constitute the worst ills of urban America: poverty, crime, disinvestment, etc. This is the lesser known side of Chicago which outsiders tend to avoid, but just as real a part of the whole Chicago experience.
That can have an impact.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
I really don't think of cities as a whole as being dangerous. Neighborhoods yes, but not entire cities. Detroit has some rather crappy neighborhoods, but it also has some very nice neighborhoods where there is very little danger involved if you are out walking around anytime day or night. Same with any city around the Country. Bad neighborhoods and good ones.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I haven't seen any of those movies. Rural areas can have their issues. Meth labs, rape, that kind of stuff. In Paulding County(an exurban county), a woman was murdered in broad daylight on the Silver Comet Trail, which is basically a bicycle trail in heavily wooded areas.
Those things can happen, but they're not that common. I live in a rural area and we've probably had 2 murders in the last 5 years in this county of 5,000. One murder was a guy killed by his wife and step-son. The other was possibly some kind of bad drug deal. They're not sure. Your chances of innocently being killed in most rural areas are not high. It's possible, but not likely. If you mind your own business, you will probably be okay. And meth labs are fairly common around here. I don't like them either, but you don't usually see people getting shot over them.

It does seem like you never hear anything about Chicago crime. I guess the boys in charge and the cops do a good job of keeping stuff from hitting the big market news stations.

St. Louis, like any city, has good areas, bad areas, and so-so areas. Of course, a neighborhood can change over time. From my understanding, Soulard was once a slum. Old North was once more than it is now. Though Old North has some very dedicated people who plan to change its image and improve life there.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
List as many as you can:

Detroit
New Orleans
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Camden, NJ
Flint, MI
Baltimore
Washington, D.C.
Oakland, CA
Compton, CA
Gary, IN
Cleveland

That's about all I can think of. Anyone have any to add or take off the list above?
I'd also include Newark, NJ and Buffalo, NY.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post

not true i would say the bad part is only 20% at the most

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I really don't think of cities as a whole as being dangerous. Neighborhoods yes, but not entire cities. Detroit has some rather crappy neighborhoods, but it also has some very nice neighborhoods where there is very little danger involved if you are out walking around anytime day or night. Same with any city around the Country. Bad neighborhoods and good ones.

but dont those people from the bad neighborhoods ever go into the good neighborhoods to cause some trouble

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Those things can happen, but they're not that common. I live in a rural area and we've probably had 2 murders in the last 5 years in this county of 5,000. One murder was a guy killed by his wife and step-son. The other was possibly some kind of bad drug deal. They're not sure. Your chances of innocently being killed in most rural areas are not high. It's possible, but not likely. If you mind your own business, you will probably be okay. And meth labs are fairly common around here. I don't like them either, but you don't usually see people getting shot over them.

It does seem like you never hear anything about Chicago crime. I guess the boys in charge and the cops do a good job of keeping stuff from hitting the big market news stations.

St. Louis, like any city, has good areas, bad areas, and so-so areas. Of course, a neighborhood can change over time. From my understanding, Soulard was once a slum. Old North was once more than it is now. Though Old North has some very dedicated people who plan to change its image and improve life there.
Rural areas do have lower crime rates in general. With that said, I sometimes do feel unsafe living out in the rural areas. One night I had no one to give me a ride to the store. I walked to the store. I didn't feel very safe for this reason:crime can be a deceptive thing. The crime in the innner cities is raw and leaves nothing to the imagination. Living out in a rural area can leave a sense of security. I was freaking out because I was all alone and read about the murder of James Byrd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.