Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 AM

476 posts, read 2,818,160 times

Advertisements

What about it ?

Last edited by Bo; 12-07-2008 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
I'm not so sure there are any that I know of that decribe all the way and true elegance when it comes to people. Anyone can put on pretentious "airs," but truly elegant people, I do believe, are lacking in this country.

People who have traveled extensively in this country will be able to answer that question much better than I.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:46 AM

476 posts, read 2,818,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'm not so sure there are any that I know of that decribe all the way and true elegance when it comes to people. Anyone can put on pretentious "airs," but truly elegant people, I do believe, are lacking in this country.

People who have traveled extensively in this country will be able to answer that question much better than I.

What do you think of some different style of elegance( clothes) between the north east and other area?

Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
I think you mean cities with "more elegant" people. I believe that every city has some "elegant" people, just as every city has people at the opposite end of the spectrum. I've been in some very small cities that have very "elegant" people. I guess it depends what you mean by elegant. If it's clothing, people from small cities can travel to large cities to purchase their clothing. They can also order via the internet.

I live in a small city that has Harvard graduates, who seem to be sophisticated, but not necessarily elegant. There are also people who reside here a part of the year, but also have homes in Nantucket and Miami, just to name a couple.

Obviously, a larger city would have more people that would be considered elegant, but you can find elegance in the most surprising places.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 AM

50 posts, read 245,726 times
I think most Americans in general are too casual to really give a crap about being elegant. At least those I have met while traveling around the country. We can be sophisticated and elegant when we want, or when the situation calls for it, but most of us prefer just being our casual selves. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

I have been to Paris several times, and believe me when I say, the elegance you are told is there by the fashion magazines is no more evident in the average person than it is in any city in the states. There is no more elegance and sophistication in Paris than there is in New York. The Parisians just think there are.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I think the cities that are more edumacated have the more eleganter people.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think the cities that are more edumacated have the more eleganter people.
Bingo!

Old 11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
"Elegance" is a subjective judgment....and money (or intellect) doesn't buy elegance

Hard to view people who are obese or poorly-dressed or smokers or owners of pets as elegant, esp when their odors often advertise their arrival

Some "cool-looking", supposedly "fashionable" or "attractive", people often are at higher risk of carrying diseases like HIV/AIDS, herpes, warts, etc....perhaps not elegant

Many old houses and apts, no matter cost, in NYC or London, etc lack modern HVAC, spacious garages, privacy, safety and other basic infrastructure that mere ~$1 MM tract houses in suburban Chicago or Dallas have had for decades...

Hard to view as "elegant" anyone who commutes via mass transit or cab/limo, when even a middle-income American can easily commute to his often-suburban office in a new, climate-controlled, private, relatively safe $25K Honda Accord and anyone w/a few more bucks can easily drive self via own new $200K MB CL65....mass transit/cabs/limos are a nasty phenomena of 3rd World US/EU/Asian regions, not modern 1st World US regions like LA or SiliconValley or Chicago...

Old 11-27-2008, 05:53 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs78 View Post
What do you think of some different style of elegance( clothes) between the north east and other area?
Well, clothes don't depict elegance in people. The clothes may be elegant, but when the person opens his or her mouth, the elegance totally disappears. I met someone not long ago and at the first sight I thought, "Wow, she is a very elegant lady." Then she spoke, and I cringed.

On the other hand, someone can be dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt but when his/her mouth opens, elegance is evident. The clothes mean nothing; it's the behavior, et al that counts.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:56 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,932 times
elegance is overratted and materialistic... people should be judged for their personalities and how hard they work, not for eating cavviar and sipping don pierron all day while barking orders at servants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.