Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I just can't understand how in the world you can say you love NFL but hate college football. That's about like saying you love pizza but you hate tomato, cheese, pepperoni and all the other ingredients that go into it or I love cars but I despise auto factories. Northeasterners (with the exception of Pennsylvania maybe) are hypocrites. How can you sit there and say I love the Giants, Patriots, Redskins, etc. etc. but hate college ball when the guys you're cheering on to take your team to victory are all products of big Universities in the SEC or Big 10, Texas, Ok, etc. The NFL stars you love so much would probably be insulted to hear you bashing the college sport and schools that molded them into the players they are today. With out these places you're beloved NFL would not exist plain and simple or it would exist at a level of play that no one would want to see.

Besides you'll never see the type of excitment and enthusiasm you see in the stands at big time college games anywhere else.

I think it all boils down to alot of people in the Northeast love NFL because there are a lot of really good NFL teams with long tradition in the North East and they hate college ball because their college teams for the most part really bite.
Though harsh, it is TRUE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Here's a field of collegiate endeavor in which the Ivy League, Pac 10 and Big 10 do far better than the SEC and Big 12.

Not to mention the University of Chicago where they used to play football in the Big 10 but then decided that wasn't the business they wanted to be in. MIT and CalTech aren't noted football powers either.

List of Nobel Laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Here's a field of collegiate endeavor in which the Ivy League, Pac 10 and Big 10 do far better than the SEC and Big 12.

Not to mention the University of Chicago where they used to play football in the Big 10 but then decided that wasn't the business they wanted to be in. MIT and CalTech aren't noted football powers either.

List of Nobel Laureates by university affiliation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL, my DH went to Cal Tech. He said they played some local jr. colleges. They did play in the Rose Bowl when he went there. One of his favorite jokes is "Who has played the most games in the Rose Bowl?" A: "Cal Tech"

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-08-2009 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Remove extraneous quote

Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
I just can't understand how in the world you can say you love NFL but hate college football. That's about like saying you love pizza but you hate tomato, cheese, pepperoni and all the other ingredients that go into it or I love cars but I despise auto factories. Northeasterners (with the exception of Pennsylvania maybe) are hypocrites. How can you sit there and say I love the Giants, Patriots, Redskins, etc. etc. but hate college ball when the guys you're cheering on to take your team to victory are all products of big Universities in the SEC or Big 10, Texas, Ok, etc. The NFL stars you love so much would probably be insulted to hear you bashing the college sport and schools that molded them into the players they are today. With out these places you're beloved NFL would not exist plain and simple or it would exist at a level of play that no one would want to see.

Besides you'll never see the type of excitment and enthusiasm you see in the stands at big time college games anywhere else.

I think it all boils down to alot of people in the Northeast love NFL because there are a lot of really good NFL teams with long tradition in the North East and they hate college ball because their college teams for the most part really bite.

For me and some other people it boils down to competition. I used to be into college football but I got really sick of following a team and only seeing 1-2 good games per year. Most of the year they blew out other teams and it was boring. Plus the lack of a decent playoff system turns me off. I hate the BCS system.
In the NFL, I see closer games on a week to week basis, which makes it more fun to watch. And the games are plenty exciting. I'm a Bills season ticket holder and the excitement and enthusiasm is higher than any college game I've been to in the south.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
NFL is lame....I've noticed while many younger "athletic", and physical individuals do watch the NFL because of their love of the game, but the majority of them are college fans. I see alot of older people, kids, moms, and dads watching NFL, or individuals who aren't really all that physically athletic, but rather spectators. Maybe no point in most of your minds, but says something to me. I agree 100% also with the traditions, pagentry, heart, and fans in college football, just better. As a kid I was a big Cowboys, and Oilers fan, but rarely do you see a pro athelete retire with his original franchise. There is corruption in NCAA atheletics no dbout, but it hasn't completely ruined the game.

Also the point brought up about DIII college football is a great one. I just like the crowds of DI. I occasionally watch Trinity University football here in San Antonio and those guys go at it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
and they hate college ball because their college teams for the most part really bite.
Besides the fact that we've established that the Northeast doesn't have a lot of D-I teams (let alone big time teams), you are aware that most Northeasterners go to school in the Northeast or maybe the Midwest? Then take into account that some schools don't have D-I football. It all makes a lot of sense, really...

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Default Atlanta Falcons' first season was 1966.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Falcons played their first season in 1967
This is not correct. The Falcons played their first season in 1966 (http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People/Alumni/History.aspx - broken link), not in 1967.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Because College football is not worth it. It is just for college, and that's that. Now the NY Giants is entire for NY and they play professionally is not like college footbal that is locally and is from college. Now if I went to that college or something, maybe I would be a fan of college football team.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
College football has more energy, more creativity, more color, more fun, and most importantly, more passion. I like the NFL, but I can only watch my team. With colllege, I find myself drawn into games that are really meaningless to me, but something makes me watch. That intangible makes the college game better, IMO.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
Everytime I go to parts a New England and when I want to watch a game, i feel like the oddman out. I'm the only one that cares. Why is this??
Not true in Pennsylvania...Penn State draws over 110,000 for a big home game......and about 105,000 for any home game. You're Thread Title includes the Northeast??? AND PA. is also considered part of the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Region of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.