Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM

38 posts, read 148,923 times

Advertisements

Hello I just found this forum and it looks great. It seems I am one of the many looking to maybe get out of South Florida, but I do not know where to go for a better Life Style. I already check out Mooresville N.C and Greer S.C. I am looking to go either to Ga, SC or NC but I am geeting Confused. Greer was O.K I liked the mountain and lake views there but it seemed like the whole county shut down on Sundays because of the Church going people.I am looking for a clean beautiful town with good schools, shopping and alittle bit of action (Paradise). I am orginally from Long Island and have been down in South florida for the last 15 years. I have 3 boys that are 15,12,9 so the schools are important.I am also looking to change careers.Maybe going to open up a pizza place in the new place I am going to live in so, I need a place that also has the need for that. So anyone with any advice where to locate to would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 PM

693 posts, read 2,755,421 times
Why do you want to leave South Florida? What exactly is a "better lifestyle" for you?

Old 06-13-2006, 01:45 PM

Grass is Greener,
Cost of living, real estate tripled in the last couple of years, taxes went up, 3 hurricanes the past 2 years, and more comming. Tough place to own your own business and make money. All leading for a change. I want to give my kids a better lifestyle with more opportunities.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,450,405 times
Well, judging by your 2 most recent homes (South Florida & Long Island), I'd say that, at least in SC, you'd want to live fairly close to Charlotte, Charleston, Columbia, or Greenville. All those cities have good suburban areas. Anywhere else and I doubt you'd be real happy - most people from those two areas (S. Fla/NY) don't like rural life.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:36 PM

693 posts, read 2,755,421 times
I'd think NC would be a better choice perhaps?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:48 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,450,405 times
Grass, that's what everybody seems to think. I've seen so many posts saying, "Well, we were considering North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida, and.."
And they just skip right over SC. I find it sort of amusing. They think we're a bunch of rednecks. I'm actually a little pleased, though, I love my little laid-back state the way it is.

Not that I (or most of us in SC) would be visibly rude to an unoffending yankee (that's an oxymoron, btw), but you'll see people smile and go about their business.

North Carolina has already been conquered by northern aggression, so you're going to meet a much more evolved yankee culture there than SC. Florida is long gone, they've consumed it, and are now spreading to other states.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM

320 posts, read 1,553,663 times
I'd say you can't go wrong with NC, SC, or GA. Although, I think NC and GA would be my first choice. Kentucky is not bad either. I currently live in KY and will be relocating to Florida this year due to hubby's employment. We really like KY and will miss it. We live about 45 minutes outside of SW of Louisville. It is a great area and very convenient to Louisville. Louisville is a great city. It has a lot to offer in the way of arts, entertainment, shopping, etc. but isn't anywhere as over crowded as places like Miami and Houston are.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback,but my question has not really been answered.I know either Ga,NC or SC will be the spot but I need some type of direction as to what towns or counties are best for what I was looking for.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 AM

320 posts, read 1,553,663 times
Well, first off, most small to medium size towns in the states you mentioned will probably shut down on Sunday, or at least for half the day on Sunday. This is part of the charm of these areas.

Second, the details of what you want are vague. I'll try to help though. I love Western NC. Try looking at Brevard and Hendersonville and points that surround them. Also look at the areas surrounding Charlotte. Call the Chambers for more info. Both the local Chamber and BBB may be able to assist you in discerning the need for your business in their area. Never looked into the stats but I also like Hickory, or at least last time I was there I did, which was a long time ago.

I can't really help much with GA ansd SC. I really like Charleston, SC but I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

We have been through GA quite a lot when traveling and many areas look really nice. Especially the areas in northern GA. Try looking around that area. We have spent quite a bit of time in Atlanta, and although I personally wouldn't want to live in Atlanta, many of the small towns around Atlanta are really nice and I wouldn't mind those.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:12 AM

Jewels,

Thanks for the info.I will try to explain alittle better so if anyone else can help me.I am looking for a small town with affordable housing,a town that is clean and beautiful (nice scenery).A town that has not gotten over populated and crowed but a place where their is room for growth that people would love to move to.Also looking for a area that is no more than 30 min to major shopping and malls.I have 3 boys, so the schools has to be very good and a town that offers organized sports like baseball & Basketball.I plan on opening up a pizzeria, so a place that can use another pizza place. I live in So. Fla. and their is a pizza place on every corner,plus the rents go for $30 to $42 a square foot (crazy right) I have been reading alot of good things about the Fort Mill,TegaCay,Rock Hill area in SC, but I don't know if it is already building up around that area, and I am alittle to late.If anyone can steer me in the direction to the next best secret town that everyone is not already moving too ( if there is one) with room for growth, I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.