Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Why don't you actually learn about cities before you make ridiculous statements. NYC is unique not only in looks, but the energy, attitudes, people, food, clubs, etc.
It's wonderful you like NYC. It really is.

But, every city is unique in looks, attitudes, food, people etc. NYC does not have a lock on "uniqueness".

In the 2008 most livable cities in the United States, NYC is not in the top 100 cities - not even close. There are reasons for that -

So, enjoy NYC - but realize that there are a whole lot of equally fine cities out there - you really should explore them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
this thread is asking for pics

here's a few i pulled from skyscrapercity.com

Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It's wonderful you like NYC. It really is.

But, every city is unique in looks, attitudes, food, people etc. NYC does not have a lock on "uniqueness".

In the 2008 most livable cities in the United States, NYC is not in the top 100 cities - not even close. There are reasons for that -

So, enjoy NYC - but realize that there are a whole lot of equally fine cities out there - you really should explore them
I agree with you 100%

Old 12-08-2008, 01:37 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The cost of living is just ridiculous.

Sometimes i wonder if people realize that Manhattan isn't the only part of NY

Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Sometimes i wonder if people realize that Manhattan isn't the only part of NY
why are you directing this at me? of course I know NYC is more than Manhattan.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:48 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
I said People not westhou! it was just in general. so if you know that ny is more than manhattan, don't you think the cost of living is going to be lower in Queens etc?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I said People not westhou! it was just in general. so if you know that ny is more than manhattan, don't you think the cost of living is going to be lower in Queens etc?
ya, i know that. but it's probably still high in Queens and all the other areas of NYC compared to other parts of the country. I understand why it's higher, i just wouldn't be able to afford a 700 square foot apartment in a nice area of NYC the same way I am able to afford my apartment here in Houston.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:26 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I agree with Futcha, but he does need to state the way he says things in calmer way. I can tell he's a true NYer with the way he gets all defensive and protective about his opinions, lol. I'm the same way

I felt the same way when I was his age. Someone mentioned him going to BC, so I'm guessing he's around 17 years old. I thought NY was the be all, end all when I was that age. But, I got to travel a bit more and I saw other great cities. I didn't think they compared to NYC, but I still traveled to some really nice places. He'll learn that after he goes to college. I only graduated a year ago and saw so much while I was in college since I played college ice hockey and traveled all over.

But yeah, there's still no place like home (NYC and LI, where I'm from), but at the same time, with all the cities i've seen, I don't think they compare to NYC. I could go into detail if you want to know what I mean, but for now I'll just leave it at that

Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 AM

263 posts, read 798,712 times
Moderator cut: personal message to another member. Now, a little physics and geometry lesson. You stick the business end of Los Angeles or any major city on a sandbar as small as Manhattan and you're gonna get 'Manhattan'! You're gonna get a lot of "people watching" and activity and rushing around and such. Just with better weather, so no more 'energy' and 'vitality' arguments because you are supplementing "crampt quarters chaos" with 'vibrancy' and 'diversity'. You're not fooling anyone- well.... the smarter of us here anyway. Don't refer to new york as the news capital just because it reports the news. If Los Angeles was on the least coast (shudder...) trust me, we'd be doin' it! Also, don't refer to new york as 'she'; that's just lame. And trust me when I say that other cities have no interest in comparing with a spoilt' child in new york, a city that can't stand up for itself unless it's trying for 87 billion extra from Congress after 9/11, or squealing about money with no concessionary responsibility, or having one of its CEO's (John Thain) actually begging TODAY for his 10 million dollar bonus- even though his new york based Merrill Lynch is another in a long list of 2008 new york losers! I have NO RESPECT for a child on the playground that cries like a baby while the others have to pick up trash or bang erasers. I have no respect for Daddy's little schnookums soiling his diaper when the rest of us have to clean up the mess! This ain't the first time new york begged and got what it wanted while the rest got bupkiss! And don't tell me new york doesn't benefit from the bailout. Anytime a city or ANYTHING isn't allowed to fail and start anew it becomes a lead weight for the rest. new york is mostly made of lead.... sorry little new york

Last edited by Bo; 12-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Grind that axe via DM only please.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
So a city of over 8 million is evil and deserves fire and brimestone because of a select few? ^^^ You talk about 9-11 as if that event is something that we as Americans need to sweep under the rug. Who you perfer the terrorist the blow up the bridges and tunnels? How about the subways? What if they detonate a nuclear or biological weapon in Lower Manhattan or Midtown-would that suit your fancy? 9-11 didn't effect NYC-it was an attack on America.

Fact is, no one really cares about LA execpt for Hollywood. NYC is held to a higher regard internationaly. Travel to Europe and say you're from New York, you'll make a new friend, saying you're from LA, you might get a shrug and a question about celebrity news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.