Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Your General Opinion of Pennsylvania?
Mostly Positive 30 52.63%
Mostly Negative 8 14.04%
Neutral 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,183,723 times

Advertisements

Because there's no reason to dislike us, because we're the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,465,680 times
neutral

Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM

114 posts, read 206,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
It's not usually about people thinking they are better. That is exception to the rule anyway.

Different is bad.
Different is bad.
Different is bad.

That is the mantra for much of the south - no matter how polite one can be. And yes that is true in other places too- especially when undergoing a population shift. It is not disrespectful to have a contrary world view. That's just reality outside of whatever bubble you live in.

You can call someone rude for reasons that are just ridiculous.
One thing I can say about people from NY and NJ is that they will tell you exactly what they think and feel. I have heard enough disparaging remarks made about southerners that I have the impression many of these people do feel like they are superior to southerners.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,539 times
Very, very few feel superior.
That is not the issue.

People who are unlike you are not being disrespectful of you.
They are just unlike you.

Some people are very very rude.
The rest may just view the world differently than you do.
They are not being rude to you- they have had different experiences.
Not better. Just different.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being drawn to people from a similar background to yours. But to say that they are nicer and less rude is just silly.
You are drawn to them because they are comfortable to you. Like one of your own.
I have lived this reality and no matter how polite, no matter how agreeable-still the outsider.
Thirty plus years and counting.

In other parts of the U.S. I have never experienced this to the same degree.
Birds of a feather flock together is o.k. by me but calling out people for superiority and rudeness is used over and over and most of the time that is not the issue.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:28 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Because there's no reason to dislike us, because we're the best
Uh oh! Are Texans rubbing off on Pennsylvanians now?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Very, very few feel superior.
That is not the issue.

People who are unlike you are not being disrespectful of you.
They are just unlike you.

Some people are very very rude.
The rest may just view the world differently than you do.
They are not being rude to you- they have had different experiences.
Not better. Just different.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being drawn to people from a similar background to yours. But to say that they are nicer and less rude is just silly.
You are drawn to them because they are comfortable to you. Like one of your own.
I have lived this reality and no matter how polite, no matter how agreeable-still the outsider.
Thirty plus years and counting.

In other parts of the U.S. I have never experienced this to the same degree.
Birds of a feather flock together is o.k. by me but calling out people for superiority and rudeness is used over and over and most of the time that is not the issue.
So what am I supposed to think about all of the condescending remarks I have heard? While I will agree that some southerners will not like northerners no matter how nice and polite they are I do not think this is true for most of us. If we are treated with respect we tend to respond in kind no matter how different the other person may be. I am telling you my experience. Yours obviously is different. The question was asked why southerners have a positive opinion of Pennsylvanians and a negative one of New Yorkers and New Jerseyians. I am giving the OP the reason why, based on my experiences, this could be. I think we may have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,939,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
So what am I supposed to think about all of the condescending remarks I have heard? While I will agree that some southerners will not like northerners no matter how nice and polite they are I do not think this is true for most of us. If we are treated with respect we tend to respond in kind no matter how different the other person may be. I am telling you my experience. Yours obviously is different. The question was asked why southerners have a positive opinion of Pennsylvanians and a negative one of New Yorkers and New Jerseyians. I am giving the OP the reason why, based on my experiences, this could be. I think we may have to agree to disagree.

My heart bleeds for you. NY talks about Jersey the same way. They talk about everyone who is not "them" with the same provincial disdain.

Get in line for the self pity soiree. It's annoying & occasionally makes me want to punch a small minded New Yorker in the face, but I've learned that viewing the world through a pin hole is their problem & not mine.
Toughen up....................

Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
My heart bleeds for you. NY talks about Jersey the same way. They talk about everyone who is not "them" with the same provincial disdain.

Get in line for the self pity soiree. It's annoying & occasionally makes me want to punch a small minded New Yorker in the face, but I've learned that viewing the world through a pin hole is their problem & not mine.
Toughen up....................
I definitely did not mean to imply we pity ourselves because people from NY/NJ may think they are superior to southerners. It does help shape how we view them but it isn’t like we sit around dwelling on it.
We know the idea is preposterous. I am merely listing a reason why the original question may be true.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,919,539 times
You probably don't like urbanized people in general.

Outside of that part of the U.S. - people don't have that much of an issue with it at all. They are not as easily offended by anything.
The pinhole mindset is much less noticeable or much less common elsewhere.
Thank goodness.

And for the record- nobody should be rude. I just don't agree with calling people out as rude because you don't like them or don't agree with them.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,465,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Uh oh! Are Texans rubbing off on Pennsylvanians now?
i thought most of it was texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.