Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,189 times

Advertisements

Here's another. Both homes $1,595,000.

Palo Alto, 2,326 sq. ft...
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/Cali-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/Cali2.jpg (broken link)
4020 Manzana Lane, Palo Alto CA - Trulia

Southlake, 7,500 sq. ft..

http://ntreispictures.marketlinx.com/MediaDisplay/16/hr3011516-2.jpg (broken link)
1200 Saint Emilion Court, Southlake TX 76092 (http://www.cindyruppert.com/homes/southlake/11151000_dtl.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 03:02 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
If the new California > Texas trend is the same as the California > Oregon trend that swept the northwest 20 years ago, it's because of a combination of $$$ and quality of life (though I don't know that Texas has a higher quality of life than California.....)

Literally half of the people I know in Oregon are ex-Californians. They sell their average-sized homes in California and move to Portland to buy a mansion for the same price. Plus, getting away from traffic and smog is an added bonus.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
This is true. I think people don't realize that the Southern parts of our country are at the same latitude as countries in Northern Africa such as Morocco and Egypt. Houston is actually further south than Cairo for example.
Probably because those other areas are largely desert, while Houston is anything but. It's one of the greenest areas of Texas.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
The only thing about housing price comparisons like this is that while mostly true, it's not as black & white as you'd think. In Texas, it really depends on the area. In the more desirable areas of inner-city Houston, $500k might get you a shack or near tear-down. A little bungalow like the one shown above in the more desirable areas of Houston or Austin will not run you $1mil, but might be in the $500k-$800k range depending on where it is. The suburbs are all different too. In Sugar Land, $300k will get you a nice/large but rather modest family home, while it will get you a mansion in another Houston suburb that is zoned to a much less desirable school district.

Really it seems the prices are all over the place in the Houston metro. I'm sure this is the case in other large Texas cities too. I'm not as familiar with DFW but wouldn't be surprised if Southlake prices are different from Plano/Frisco prices, which are much less than some central Dallas prices like Prestonwood I'm sure.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333eloise View Post
The attitude of TXGUY2009 is the exact reason why many people don't like Austin! I'm with Bluebeard!

To anyone thinking about moving to Austin - it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, any fan of Austin reading this will say "if you're not outdoorsy or don't like live music, or if you're from Houston or Dallas or anywhere in California, then Austin may not be for you". That is crap. I think the reason many people don't like Austin is because of the vibe there. And the people there that give it that vibe.

I moved there in 1994, went to UT, moved away, moved back; I've spent about 8 years there. I loved being there for my college years. But as a working adult, I hated it. I still have friends in Austin - of course there are some great people there. But in general, there exists an elitist, exclusive, unfriendly vibe. It's strange!

I've been all over California (and Texas and most of the rest of the country) - and I honestly think that Californians have reason to have a bit of an ego: California has a lot to boast about! Certainly more to boast about than Austin. Yet Austin has a much bigger attitude.

I have yet to hear anyone address the oppressive / unfriendly vibe...
How the hell did a thread about moving from Cali to Texas turn into a bash Austin thread

I read enough BS trash talk from the New Yorkers on here as it is. Let alone anybody else.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 AM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
its cheap...

thats about it, dont get too happy because no one moves there for fun/entertainment/cool factor
If you can't have fun in either Austin or Houston, the problem might not be with Austin or Houston.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:54 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How the hell did a thread about moving from Cali to Texas turn into a bash Austin thread

I read enough BS trash talk from the New Yorkers on here as it is. Let alone anybody else.
I think the poster has a right to speak about his experiences in Austin. It is still a part of Texas, yes?

I too lived in Austin in the early 90's, and it is (IMO) not like it used to be. It has a nice music scene, nice downtown, nice university...but it also shares the same problems that many other cities have, and I feel it has lost the identity it once had to be replaced as the next "it city". Perhaps that has gone to some Austinites' heads...

Most every other city in these threads (including NYC) is the victim of being "bashed", so if you want to play with the big boys (Austin), you better roll with the punches as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.