Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
NYC<>Miami (Large foreign-born populations while people born there tend to move out)
There are also tons of New Yorkers living in Miami, so this comparison works on a couple levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Indianapolis has always strongly reminded me of a southern metro like Houston or Charlotte where essentially none of the old urban core survived.
As someone who grew up in the core area of Houston and has spent some time in both Indianapolis and Charlotte, I really don't get this comparison at all. Those are 3 very different cities. Sure, Houston has bulldozed a large percentage of it's original urban core and replaced it with gentrification, but it still looks and feels very different than either of those two cities. Not to mention that it's bigger than both of those cities combined. I don't think Houston has a Northern (or Midwestern) "twin". The closest I can think of would possibly be a weird hybrid of Philly, Minneapolis, and maybe certain aspects of Chicago... but even that's a hell of a stretch. Indianapolis? Maybe the suburban sprawl part of the equation, but that is hardly unique to those two places. Charlotte? Maybe the high-growth factor and construction booms, but that also could be any major Sunbelt metro.

In my opinion, the city that most closely resembles Houston would be Dallas.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
I'd actually say New Orleans is most similar to New York. Or at least if you compared the two cities a hundred years ago they would have been twins. Both were the premier cities of their region of the country. Both had an economy built up on regional shipping. Both took in large numbers of immigrants from various European nations. There's even a New Orleans white urban dialect (Yat) which sounds like a New York accent. That said, the fortunes of the two cities have obviously diverged. In the present day I agree that Philly is probably the best comparison, as it's a good combination of history and grit.
Really good post. I've been wondering about this NY-esque accent I've been hearing here.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
I'd actually say New Orleans is most similar to New York. Or at least if you compared the two cities a hundred years ago they would have been twins. Both were the premier cities of their region of the country. Both had an economy built up on regional shipping. Both took in large numbers of immigrants from various European nations. There's even a New Orleans white urban dialect (Yat) which sounds like a New York accent. That said, the fortunes of the two cities have obviously diverged. In the present day I agree that Philly is probably the best comparison, as it's a good combination of history and grit.
I think you are spot on. New Orleans was one of the top cities a century back, as was Philly. Both fell due to internal reasons and neighboring cities took up the slack (Houston and New York).

Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'm going to make the argument that Pittsburgh is Knoxville times 3. Both have hills throughout the city including big hills directly south of downtown. Pgh hills are steeper and 3 times as tall, the river is 2-3 times as wide. Knoxville has 3 rivers as well, though they meet upstream from downtown so I don't know if that counts. Health care, education and science are big parts of the economy though Pgh has 3 times more. Interesting concept of throwing in Chatt for its industrial past.

The people/ culture are very similar - very laid back and unpretentious. Similar racial mix. Biggest difference is Pgh is solidly democrat.

Quote:
Columbus has a fantastic/gentrified/urban inner city. I really do not see this in Jacksonville. Columbus might compare better with Charlotte in NC, however Charlotte lacks the progressive/hip/college vibe
Maybe Columbus is better compared to Nashville which has a lot of progressive/hip neighborhoods and a lot of universities.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
Burlington VT & Ashland NC
Tucson & Spokane
Minneapois-St. Paul & Raliegh (or however you spell it) - Chapel Hill
Baton Rouge & Hartford
Jackson & New Haven

Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Burlington VT & Ashland NC
I think you mean Asheville.

Quote:
Tucson & Spokane
Arizona isn't in the South

Quote:
Minneapolis-St. Paul & Raleigh (or however you spell it) - Chapel Hill
Not the best comparison, because the second city in the "Triangle region" of NC is Durham, not Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill by itself is probably most similar to Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Quote:
Baton Rouge & Hartford
I suppose I could see this.

Quote:
Jackson & New Haven
I don't get this at all. Where's the gentrified, walkable core of Jackson which houses a prestigious university?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Indianapolis - Charlotte
Cincinnati - Atlanta
Minneapolis - Dallas
Columbus - Austin
Toledo - Jacksonville

Those are some that come to mind

Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM

622 posts, read 949,041 times
Here are mines:

New York-Miami
Norfolk-Jacksonville
Washington-Atlanta
Detroit-New Orleans
St. Louis-Memphis
Louisville-Nashville
Pittsburgh-Birmingham
Boston-Savannah
Chicago-Houston
Indianapolis-Austin
Cleveland-Tampa
Philadelphia-Charlotte
Buffalo-San Antonio
Milwaukee-Oklahoma City
Richmond-Raleigh
Minneapolis/St. Paul-Dallas/Fort Worth

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
I think you mean Asheville.

Arizona isn't in the South

Not the best comparison, because the second city in the "Triangle region" of NC is Durham, not Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill by itself is probably most similar to Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I suppose I could see this.

I don't get this at all. Where's the gentrified, walkable core of Jackson which houses a prestigious university?
Arizona is in the south of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.