Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,170,091 times

Advertisements

What characteristics make NYC different from all other U.S. cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
NYC is the gateway to the United States.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
Well, the county I live in is has the most ethnicities in one county in the entire country. In a matter of walking 7 blocks, I can get Moroccan, Egyptian, Greek, Italian, French food, probably more that I just never realized. The neighborhood I live in has the highest Greek population outside of Greece.

It's just....different, but in a good way. I don't think you'll find anywhere more beautiful during the Christmas season.

I could go on...

Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 PM

I think all U.S. cities are unique. NYC is not the only city that stands out compared to the others. There is no other city like Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Miami.....and the list goes on and on.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What characteristics make NYC different from all other U.S. cities?
Overly excessive overcrowding.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, the county I live in is has the most ethnicities in one county in the entire country. In a matter of walking 7 blocks, I can get Moroccan, Egyptian, Greek, Italian, French food, probably more that I just never realized. The neighborhood I live in has the highest Greek population outside of Greece.

It's just....different, but in a good way. I don't think you'll find anywhere more beautiful during the Christmas season.

I could go on...
Ah... so you're out in Astoria. Wanna hang out in Flushing, sometime.

To answer the OP's question: NYC is a city on to itself. To me, it is more International, than American. For the simple fact that so many different types of people live here. Even sometime as "simple" as transportation. In most cities, people drive in their car to the Downtown area, work, and come home. NYC, people are so dependant on transportation such as the subway.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:24 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,503,814 times
The city as a whole is what makes NYC great. I'm sick of people bragging about how they can drive to the mountains or whatever. The only reason they resort to that when competing with NYC is because they really can't compete with NYC.

NYC being The City itself is what makes it so ****in great. Driving into the city, going in tunnels, bridges while you're surrounded by great density makes you feel like you're in the center of the universe.

Not only in this city will you find the density, but the ethnicities, media, sports, cultures, dining, nightlife, and shopping also kicks the **** out of the rest of the world.

Last edited by Futcha; 12-07-2008 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,170,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Overly excessive overcrowding.
Chicago is no slouch in this department either.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
The city as a whole is what makes NYC great. I'm sick of people bragging about how they can drive to the mountains or whatever. The only reason they resort to that when competing with NYC is because they really can't compete with NYC.

NYC being The City itself is what makes it so ****in great. Driving into the city, going in tunnels, bridges while you're surrounded by great density makes you feel like you're in the center of the universe.

Not only in this city will you find the density, but the ethnicities, media, sports, cultures, dining, nightlife, and shopping also kicks the **** out of the rest of the world.
I can think of a few cities around the world that are on the same level or even better. Paris and London are a few that instantly come to mind.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post

What you and many of your neighbors will never fail to understand is that there are millions of us that have no DESIRE to compete with NYC - on any level.

It is a great place, but it is NOT the end all, be all center of the universe you all have convinced yourselves that it is. That would be London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.